Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Paolo Soprani  (Read 3372 times)

Andrew Culwell

Interesting Paolo Soprani
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:46:23 AM »

Was able to play this little gem last night at a friends.  Pardon the quick snap but thought some on this forum would like to see this unusual box!

Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Lars

Re: Interesting Paolo Soprani
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:06:02 AM »

That's a true beauty, very very nice!

Any comments on the key of the box, the size (compared to others) or the general feel of it?

Thanks for sharing the picture.

hibbs3

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »

Didn't Stephen post some magazine clippings of this exact model?

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »

I believe the Key is C, though  not positive about that I was busy looking agog at all the wonderful boxes this gentleman had accumulated over the last 20 years.  He lives close to a large Flea Market here in NC and is often to be found out Saturday and Sunday early in the am looking for boxes.  It's obviously paid off as he has a number of very fine finds.  This one is in particularly fine shape plays beautifully and looks fantastic.  He also had a number of very fine Hohners and Supertones and of course shelves full of Paolo Soprani's.  Not being an expert on the Soprani's I couldn't say how it compares to the other of that type but it seemed about 1.5 times the size of his other much older Soprani's.  He plays his Concertina's more than he plays his accordions and has a very nice collection of those also.  He was gracious enough to let me photograph many of his boxes so more photo's to come in the next couple days. 

--Drew

Oh and here is the rear view of the box, I apologize again for the quality of the photo.  Since I'm not familiar enough with these old boxes maybe someone can enlighten me about the lever behind the keyboard.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:20:50 AM by ajay38 »

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:24:42 AM »

And again here is just one of the Paolo's sitting on his shelves.  Don't know much about it but it plays he says very nicely.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »

And Another!  Is this interesting to anyone or should I stop? 

hibbs3

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:44:10 AM »

Thanks for the pics, keep 'em comin  (:)

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:22:28 AM »

I agree: more.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en RĂ©

hibbs3

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 04:06:13 AM »

The lever behind the keyboard is a switch to open up and shut off a set of reeds (even rarer, it could control more than one extra set of reeds). It's what was used before couplers on the grille made their way into the world I believe.

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 07:44:37 AM »

I believe the Key is C, though  not positive about that I was busy looking agog at all the wonderful boxes this gentleman had accumulated over the last 20 years.  He lives close to a large Flea Market here in NC and is often to be found out Saturday and Sunday early in the am looking for boxes.  It's obviously paid off as he has a number of very fine finds.  

I'm curious as to which NC flea market you're talking about... I used to frequent the Yadkinville flea market on US 421 and remember it was pretty expansive, though filled with a lot of junk, I found some very interesting items there.  Records, musical instruments, so forth.  

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »

I believe he frequents the Raleigh Flea Market which is on the State Fairgrounds.

triskel

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »

Didn't Stephen post some magazine clippings of this exact model?

That was in the "Vintage Ludwig Piano Accordion" but not off-topic thread, which Paul Groff started. But that particular one was an eBay seller's photo, whilst others were illustrations from old catalogues, or tutor books.

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »

I believe he frequents the Raleigh Flea Market which is on the State Fairgrounds.

I never went to the market in Raleigh.  But if you're ever traveling up to the mountains, for instance if you're going to Boone or Hickory on 421, or if you're planning to go into Ashe county via 421 and 16, then it's a good stop.  Especially at an early hour, as per usual, there have been very good finds as there are numerous large markets set up within close proximity to one another.  The markets are right off the highway in Yadkinville and you really can't miss it.  There's great music in Ashe in the summertime, might be worth the trip!

It looks like your buddy has some interesting boxes in his collection.  Of course, any collection of accordions is interesting!  :||: 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal