Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharon Shannon Book of Tunes.  (Read 7781 times)

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
Sharon Shannon Book of Tunes.
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »

I have just received my copy of The Sharon Shannon Book of Tunes, ordered via www.sharonshannon.com

Keithypete.

Re: Sharon Shannon Book of Tunes.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:25:48 PM »

Nice one. It is of interest to me as searching for the odd tune can take ages. Having them all grouped together is brill. There are plenty of threads advising wether B/C or C#/D is the better system for you depending on what style you want to play. Irish I guess.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »

Thanks I ordered the double CD and the book for $25 all in to UK .  Good value I reckon

Mike
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »

The Sharon Shannon Book of Tunes, ordered via www.sharonshannon.com.

Thanks for the link Tim.

Anyone know where I can find the tune list for the book and CD please?  I have searched but can't find anything.
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:50:16 PM »

Anyone know where I can find the tune list for the book and CD please?  I have searched but can't find anything.

For the CD, use the Amazon site and put Sharon Shannon in the search engine. I would be interested myself to see a list of the tunes in the book.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »

Thanks Bob, I was just about to say that! I will pm you and xgx later with the tunes in the book. They are all published as sets, so the tune listed on the CD as Glentown when written in the book has all 3 tunes that make up that set ( The Silver Spire, Green Fields of Glentown and The Mountain Road). Hope that makes some sense?! Not all the tunes on the CD are in the tunebook, and there are plenty of tunes in the book that are not on The Sharon Shannon collection but are on other CDs! Over 60 tunes in the book, plenty to be getting on with.

Tim
 ;D

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »

Thanks Bob,

looking forward to a pm Tim, very much appreciated!
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:45:16 PM »

errrr....
trying to get it together, taking a bit longer than I thought, quite a lot of info (60 tune titles!). Should have it sorted in the next 24 hours. :P

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »

As I can not attach this photo through the pm system I have posted it here, it has all the titles of the tunes in the Sharon Shannon tune book. Hopefully this is not breaking any copyright, if so then please let me know or remove it (Theo/Clive). Hope this helps you xgx and Bob,
Regards,
Tim

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 12:08:38 AM »

Thanks, Tim, for posting the contents page - much appreciated.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

triskel

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 01:12:02 PM »

Whilst there are quite a few tunes in B flat,E flat and E (time for me to get a B/C?!), there are also plenty in D, G, and A.

Tim,

Trouble is you'd need more than just a B/C if you wanted to play the tunes in those same keys of "B flat,E flat and E", since Sharon has boxes in many different keys and that is most likely how she is doing it. For example, if you use what would be D fingering on a B/C, then you'd get Bb on a G/G#, Eb on a C/C# or E on a C#/D box.

It might be cheaper to transpose them to more "friendly" keys...

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »

Thanks Stephen,
what I am currently doing is picking through these tunes on the whistle, piano and a d/g box and transposing the ones that I like/recognise/love the most, this is working to an extent?! To be honest I am just enjoying rocking the simpler ones (toonagh mazurka and all the wishing well set). To drift the thread a bit (it is my thread so why shouldnt I?) I picked up the box becase I wanted to play like Jackie Daly, only problem was I bought a D/G because I had no idea what I was doing, after all it looked the same as his. I think it is now to late for me to take up the b/c (or similar) as I am too old a dog to learn new tricks. However my beautiful 10 year old daughter, Iris, has just started having lessons on the B/C as she wants to play like Sharon Shannon and not me! (fair comment, so do I).
Thanks for the advice though.....you never know ;)
Tim

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »

it arrived within 3 days  plus a freebie CD Renegade with Mike McGoldrick et al.  Value!
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »

Renegade is a good album (:)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 02:35:03 AM »

Thanks to Tamba's post, I ordered the Sharon Shannon tune book and it arrived today.  Unexpectedly, along with the book came the CD "Renegade" which I am listening to as I write this. It is a really nice CD and a pleasant surprise.  Of immediate interest were the chords for Cavan Potholes. I play the tune on the mandolin and made a guess at the chords. I wasn't too far off although the book has more jazzy chords. I was also glad to find "Dedicato A Vares", which is the second tune in the Bungee Jumpers medley.  I had written out a transcription which is very different from the version in the book.  Looking forward to learning that one. All the best Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:17:21 PM »

I am so glad that some people have found this thread useful. It makes up for some of the other threads I have started which have been rubbish ;D :||:

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 04:25:25 PM »

I agree the book is useful even if I do not read music yet. I show other musician friends and they can learn from it. One fiddle player is very good and his ability to sight read is astonishing.
Sharon signed my book when I met her in Inverness (and she signed the inside of my pokerwork as well, a good laugh moment)

gm0lze

• Good talker
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »

Ordered and paid for the  Sharon Shannon Collection double cd and the Sharon Shannon Tunebook for US$20.00
Never arrived so  they re-posted but only bonus cd and the book arrived.
Still one month later no Double cd collection after promising to send.
Very disappointing from http://www.sharonshannon.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal