Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acronyms  (Read 6407 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Acronyms
« on: January 10, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »

I do concur that this group is particularly initial prone and the speed at which TOTMs have been reduced to these startled me. In particular AF always triggers the wrong thoughts in me as it is a standard one professionally.  So I'd encourage more use of the forum's ACRONYM tag. Am I the only person using it? Syntax is as below.

[ acronym="take out the spaces to make it work" ]TOTSTMIW[ /acronym ]  
Theo - could it perhaps be on the "Post Reply" toolbar? Far more useful than "glow" "shadow" and "travelling M"  ???

TR2T - .................. IMHO f..............

Moved to new thread in 'Wish Lists' to avoid thread drift.

I've not used the [acronym] tag before, but it does look  useful.  Have looked through all the admin options but unfortunately I can't find a way to make a button for it in the editor.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:04:58 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: Acronyms
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »

Perhaps this should be pinned for a while until the regular members have got used to the syntax. I've not come across the [acronym] tag before either and haven't seen it used on the various forums I frequent, jolly useful though.  :D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »

I'm sure it's a useful feature - but why "acronym" when it's just an abbreviation?  With my (retired) English teacher's hat on, may I respectfully point out that to qualify as an "acronym" the initial letters must spell a recognisable word.......as in "ERNIE" (electronic random number indicator equipment) of Premium Bond infamy?

Sorry to be a pedant and thread drifter
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »

I'm sure it's a useful feature - but why "acronym" when it's just an abbreviation?  With my (retired) English teacher's hat on, may I respectfully point out that to qualify as an "acronym" the initial letters must spell a recognisable word.......as in "ERNIE" (electronic random number indicator equipment) of Premium Bond infamy?

Sorry to be a pedant and thread drifter
Graham

Not really an abbreviation either more of an initialism!

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 02:30:20 AM »

Acronyms are something I have had to learn to live with during a 22year military career where if it didn'r have a meaningful acronym, then it wasn't worth doing  -   my favourites all came from two tours in the Falkland Islands  -  in particular FIDO has always stuck in my mind  -  Falkland Islands Dental Officer!

Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:44:37 AM »

I'm sure it's a useful feature - but why "acronym" when it's just an abbreviation?  With my (retired) English teacher's hat on, may I respectfully point out that to qualify as an "acronym" the initial letters must spell a recognisable word.......as in "ERNIE" (electronic random number indicator equipment) of Premium Bond infamy?  Sorry to be a pedant and thread drifter  Graham

<lesson>
   Layout and decoration of everything in the Web is controlled by 'tags'.   The tag in question  is [ acronym ] because that is what the SMF coders set up when they designed this kit. And in that sense it isn't English - rather a simple meta language with which we can prettify, link and explain our posts on what is in effect a mechanised Bulletin Board

The various [] tags implemented in our SMF are mapped to web standard XHTML tags - which may or may not look the same. Then it gets a bit iffy - for example  our [ b] tag  should map to the HTML <strong> element, but HTML's old, depreciated  < b> tag is understood by all browsers. I see SMF still uses that.  

It's not just the [] tags. Layout in your posts  is preserved by < br/> break tags - while we have merely tapped in a carriage return.  Again this is heritage coding - we should wrap conceptual chunks in < p>aragraph tags to help browsers flow it onto screens of any size (eg mobile phones now).

As the web grew in the 90's its governing body  - w3.org - tried hard to rationalise and control this, with varying success. In particular an outfit called Microsoft proved quite ungovernable, and were forever doing their own thing. So it's sort of "organised chaos". It's getting better.

The document http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1 defines the standard for various abbreviations. While both < abbr> and < acronym> have been defined, I'm afraid this forum's coder has only implemented one of them.

Yes - < abbr> might have been the better choice.

thus endeth the  </lesson>  :P (see below)

Spaces have been  inserted in the [tag] examples above to stop them being 'interpreted'
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:32:53 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:14:17 AM »

<lesson></thus_ endeth_the_ lesson>
That's not valid XML  ;)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »

Acronyms are something I have had to learn to live with during a 22year military career where if it didn'r have a meaningful acronym, then it wasn't worth doing  -   my favourites all came from two tours in the Falkland Islands  -  in particular FIDO has always stuck in my mind  -  Falkland Islands Dental Officer!

At my old employment we had an Electronic Interference Engineering Investigations Officer - EIEIO.  ;D, and I worked in the Software Hardware Integration Team until our boss worked that one out   >:E 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:12:32 AM »

My Royal College is said to have responded to the government's call to re-accredit it's doctors with a "Clinical Radiologist Accreditation Programme" - which for some reason got abbreviated to "RAP"  :|glug

Love 'em!  My all time favourite is FOOBAR which has had a life of its own. AFAIK it started out in the 40's US army as FUBAR and now gets seen on computers as eg OldVersion.foo files
  _       _    _      _ 

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »

My favourite, is TLA, which is of course short for Three Letter Acronym.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »

Which of course it isn't as, as Graham pointed out, it is not pronounceable as a word so it is an Initialism not an Acronym   >:E 

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 11:03:14 AM »

Which of course it isn't as, as Graham pointed out, it is not pronounceable as a word so it is an Initialism not an Acronym   >:E 

Unless you're slovenian.  :-\

accordion criminal

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 09:20:38 PM »

Unless you're slovenian.  :-\

Sweet, Clive. :D
kkkkkk or kekeke ^&^ ('m LOLing in Korean.)
jajaja -Spanish
اهاهاهاها-Arabic
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal