Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So what happens if we learn TOTM after the time limit.  (Read 5293 times)

press on regardless

So what happens if we learn TOTM after the time limit.
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »

I love this tune and am determined to learn it. I know I can achieve this but I would need to do absolutely nothing else till the end of Januaury, (2011 that is).

So what's the deal for us dumbos, can we post it up in March or whatever? Or would this just get completely out of hand? 

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
Re: So what happens if we learn TOTM after the time limit.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »

We've already had "out of time" postings, I don't really see a problem.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »

The threads for all of the tunes remain open and someone recently added a recording of the first tune from October (Speed the Plough). So no worries about adding your recording of Ashokan Farewell at any stage.

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Kautilya

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:37:14 PM »

I love this tune and am determined to learn it. I know I can achieve this but I would need to do absolutely nothing else till the end of Januaury, (2011 that is).

So what's the deal for us dumbos, can we post it up in March or whatever? Or would this just get completely out of hand?  
TOT at school.  Perhaps tune The Braes of Balquhidder by Robert Tannahill (1774-1810) and  "Wild Mountain Thyme," words/arrangement  by William McPeake in 1950s.  More discussion and variants at
http://www.3pintsgone.com/lyrics/ThereCanBeOnlyOne/WildMountainThyme.doc:
and:
http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=20021
Notes: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/irish-folk-music/011103.HTM

A few of a variety of instruments and voices (not included Bob Dylan) out there.

Emotionals (first is concertina praps an Anglo in a kilt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMsQuunDq9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzATVIrdJDg

Simple solo melodeon for fingering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Uz4ZmYtYo

This looks like a melodeon but....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwfjrHYHmu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKvB3g3HEPQ
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:43:31 PM by Kautilya »

press on regardless

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »

The threads for all of the tunes remain open and someone recently added a recording of the first tune from October (Speed the Plough). So no worries about adding your recording of Ashokan Farewell at any stage.

Pete.

thanks Pete et al. I only started TOTM for ther first time last month and didnt realise that.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »

So what's the deal for us dumbos

Now when you said that I thought you were a novice like me. I don't know how I missed it but I've just clocked your excellent version of Princess Royal played on a Preciosa no less. Dumbo? pah!  >:E :|glug
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

press on regardless

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 10:21:46 PM »

So what's the deal for us dumbos

Now when you said that I thought you were a novice like me. I don't know how I missed it but I've just clocked your excellent version of Princess Royal played on a Preciosa no less. Dumbo? pah!  >:E :|glug

Well thanks very much but truth is PR is the first tune I ever learnt so i've has plenty of practice on that one.
AF is just doing my head in.

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »

Well, of course there's a statute of limitations on tunes, if you don't learn them in the right month, it doesn't count...

Or in fact, people can put tunes on YouTube whenever they think they're good enough to share. In years, maybe. It's all good.

Ashokan Farewell also doing my head in; I keep playing it, and thinking I like how it's coming along, and then picking up the box the next day and it's pants again. Not convinced I'm going to be sorted by the end of January by any manner of means.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »

After the time limit the thread will self destruct. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....  ;)

I'm only not struggling because I've been procrastinating about starting it. But having recived part one of my cunning plan, I'm going to have to start soon.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »

Well, of course there's a statute of limitations on tunes, if you don't learn them in the right month, it doesn't count...

Do you know - I find that really hard. While I'm happy (others not?) jamming i with tunes I'm picking up in sessions, when it comes to something special I've generally been going back to them for months before they feel part of me. So no time lmits please. I ran out of that last month what with working Xams and then off to Finland.
  _       _    _      _ 

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »

Or in fact, people can put tunes on YouTube whenever they think they're good enough to share. In years, maybe. It's all good.

Ashokan Farewell also doing my head in; I keep playing it, and thinking I like how it's coming along, and then picking up the box the next day and it's pants again. Not convinced I'm going to be sorted by the end of January by any manner of means.

Of course? Doesn't count if it's not within the "right" month? Maybe I simply don't understand your post (sorry, I'm Swedish). I think it's nice to see people's additions, even if they come in late. On the mandolin tune-of-the-week group we very much welcome people's additions on past tunes.

I never had time to record Princess Royal and this month I obviously haven't been able to even try Ashokan farewell since I fell and injured my wrist. It wasn't as bad as it first seemed, though, so now I can play the box and actually planned to record PR next week..... but if people will look down on me for doing it the wrong month, I won't (at least not for showing off here).
I prefer too to not have any time limits. More fun without time limits.

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »

Of course? Doesn't count if it's not within the "right" month? Maybe I simply don't understand your post (sorry, I'm Swedish). I think it's nice to see people's additions, even if they come in late. On the mandolin tune-of-the-week group we very much welcome people's additions on past tunes.

Sorry, entirely my fault for teasing. I think everyone would love to see your tune of the month videos whether they're this month, next month, or in five years. I think it's fantastic when people say "I've been working on this for three months and I suddenly feel it's worth putting on YouTube. So I can't wait to see your Princess Royal.

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »

Ok, thanks for clearing that up, I actually thought (and hoped) you were only being sarcastic! So - I'll see what I can do with PR. It's not too smooth but then, I'm still a beginner, and also a beginner with her right hand in a cast:)

stevejay

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 03:03:44 AM »

Also glad there are no time limits. I learned January's tune and just had too much work and family responsibilities lately.

Actually, with all the people out of work here, this is a good problem. I am taking three days off, finally some time to play, relax, and post.

The recordings give me some goal, I'm glad this project was created.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:50:52 PM »

And I simply don't have the confidence to post, even though I know I should, but the very existence of the TOTM makes me practise it hard.  :||: (:) (:)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal