Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Webcam to make TotM videos  (Read 5971 times)

nemethmik

Webcam to make TotM videos
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »

Would a webcam good enough to make tune-of-the-month or teaching/learning videos for YouTube upload?
Do you have any experiance with LifeCam VX-3000 or similar (or newer) products?
I have an older model (Logitech QuickCam Pro for Notebooks) and it's very slow.
Thank You,
Miki

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
Re: Webcam to make TotM videos
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »

I have a Lifetech VX-3800 . Sound works well but the picture , on You-tube , isn't clear enough .
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

nemethmik

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »

Sound works well but the picture , on You-tube , isn't clear enough .
You are right, using webcams for these types of videos is not the right way. Based on some samples on youtube, even one (microsoft livecam cinema) of the most expensive models does not handle quick movements. Fingers move fast enough that a (even an expensive) webcam cannot make proper video.  :(
Miki

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:24:40 PM »

Sound works well but the picture , on You-tube , isn't clear enough .
You are right, using webcams for these types of videos is not the right way. Based on some samples on youtube, even one (microsoft livecam cinema) of the most expensive models does not handle quick movements. Fingers move fast enough that a (even an expensive) webcam cannot make proper video.  :(
Miki
my inbuilt one on my macbook seems to cope fine.

Scallyanglo

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood Binci Pariselle 2.6 LM 14 bass
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »

The one on my Sony VIAO isn't good enough :-\ Sound is OK but It makes me look all shaky & scary!

Unless there's some settings or some conversion I need to do before uploading to YouTube?

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

Actually I'm using my digital camera's video functionality for that. It can make videos 'offline', so you are more flexible with the recording location
Image quality quite good, sound quality quite bad.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:23:34 PM by michik »
Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

nemethmik

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »

I'm using my digital camera
My solution is that I connect my (old) Canon MV830 (DV) video camera with a mini-tripod to my notebook computer via FireWire (iLink) and use Windows Movie Maker to record the video. The FireWire connection is fast enough to give very good recordings. The optics (lense) and microphones on this old DV camera seems to be much better than today's expensive webcam's.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 03:44:59 PM »

Actually I'm using my digital camera's video functionality for that. It can make videos 'offline', so you are more flexible with the recording location

My Pentax Optio A-20 is exactly like that. For a mostly-stills camera, it shoots remarkably good video, but the sound is atrocious. I do the sound with an Edirol R-09, sometimes with its internal mics, others with really nice Schoeps mics which are really overkill for YouTube. Edit sound with Audacity, stitch it all together with Avidemux. (all free software!)

At home I shoot the video in a conservatory which is acoustically treated for use as a recording studio, so it's got a reasonably good sound.

I've got a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:01:38 PM »

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »

This is a microphone with a video camera as an afterthought.

[Googles...]Oh - yes, see what you mean (:)
There's a limit to how good a sound you can get from a mic in the camera though, because the camera's often simply not in the ideal place for best sound.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »

I use a small Kodak digital pocket camera for my videos. The video quality actually quite good, the sound is medium to poor. I now record simultaneously on a BOSS Micro BR digital recorder, about the size of a wallet, capable of recording 16 virtual tracks that can be mixed down to stereo. I am totally thrilled with this little gadget, and it's capabilities. Every musician should have one. I admit, the instruction book is larger than the device, and I am only beginning to learn how to use all the features. Here's a sample of four tracks, (the video was produced with Windows movie maker using still photos).
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2ARvX-7Zs
   For videos, I process the video clip (an MP4) from my little Kodak thru some freeware called "MP42AVI", and then it is digestible for Windows MM. Once loaded into the movie maker, the audio from the camera can be muted, and there is a spot to add an outside audio, such as the recorded track from the digital sound recorder, which I have put through Audacity for compression and trimming. Then, it's a matter of sync'ing the good audio track to the video. Easy huh? It's what you must do if you don't have a state of the art video setup. Surprisingly, I have been able to run thru this process fairly quickly, now that I have learned the moves.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 11:24:37 PM »

I use my Sony HDR 520 VE recorder for videos and the 5.1 surround sound is stunning!   (great Camera in HD ... but i shut it down to its minimum for You Tube) ,,,, as in my recording of Jimbo  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIpZYznP1CY
I use either the Sony Vegas Software or Cubase 4 to make the sound more interesting!!

I tried out my Zoom H4 on my recent Castagnari 1 Row recording seperately whilst videoing... then swopped out the sound for the Zoom H4! in the sony software  + a bit of CUBASE 4 as in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHDa7YiPKvw

Derek

Anahata we used to meet @ MISKIN you inspired me enormously! ... Thanks for that! 8) 8)

All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »

Anahata we used to meet @ MISKIN you inspired me enormously! ... Thanks for that! 8) 8)
:|bl
I remember you at Miskin - a bloody talented melodeon player who knew a lot of tunes I didn't.
And I hear you've been talking to my friend Tom Sennett lately... (sorry, more thread drift)

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 11:44:43 PM »

I tried out my Zoom H4 on my recent Castagnari 1 Row recording seperately whilst videoing... then swopped out the sound for the Zoom H4! in the sony software  + a bit of CUBASE 4 as in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHDa7YiPKvw

Looks and sounds wonderful........awesome playing too.... ;D.!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal