Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy jig tunes for an Irish session  (Read 14067 times)

nemethmik

Easy jig tunes for an Irish session
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »

I've learned a hadful of great and easy to play jigs from Maggie More book 1: Blaydon Races, Cock O' the North, The Lincolnshire Poacher, and Oyster Girl.
Soon we're having a session with musicians playing mostly Irish tunes. I'd like to learn three or four easy jigs that are well known for "Irish session" musicians, too (I'd like to avoid playing solo).
I think Cock O' the North is perfect tune for Irish sessions.
I found a couple of Irish jigs in Dave Mallinson's "The D/G Melodeon Absolute Beginners" book: Tripping Upstairs and My Darling Asleep ("a difficult tune for experienced musicians" wrote Dave); both are found in the "advanced section" in the book.
Could you recommend simple Irish jigs?
Thank You,
Miki

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Easy jig tunes for an Irish session
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »

Out in the Ocean
The Old Favourite

would be my suggestions.  Easy to play but great tunes both of them.

BTW there is not much doubt that Cock O' the North is a Scottish tune though it may well fit in well in Irish sessions.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »

You might try pairing The Oyster Girl with The Road to Carlow, which is an easy tune. If you are not already familiar with it, The Road to Carlow is identical with the B and C parts of The Sweets of May - you just leave out the A part.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:49:45 AM »

A couple of simple irish jigs that sound great on the melodeon:

Jim Ward's jig http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/793
Bill Harte's jig http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/2788

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:50:56 AM »

Dingle Regatta is another great three-piecer.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Keithypete.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »

Try Humours of Glendart with Donnybrook Fair (Joys of my life). Blarney Pilgrim, Morrison's and Lilting Banshee - not necessarily together - are all quite popular, round here anyway. Good luck.

Isn't Dingle regatta a slide?
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:22:46 PM »

Try Humours of Glendart with Donnybrook Fair (Joys of my life). Blarney Pilgrim, Morrison's and Lilting Banshee - not necessarily together - are all quite popular, round here anyway. Good luck.

Isn't Dingle regatta a slide?

Possibly it would be played as a slide in Ireland, but certainly in England I generally hear it being played as a jig.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Keithypete.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 01:18:39 PM »

Put Dingle regatta into the search on 'The session' and it comes back as a slide - but the bar lines have it as a jig with 6 beats not 12. ??? ??? ???

The Kesh is another common jig fairly, straight forward.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:41 PM »

I found a couple of Irish jigs in Dave Mallinson's "The D/G Melodeon Absolute Beginners" book: Tripping Upstairs and My Darling Asleep ("a difficult tune for experienced musicians" wrote Dave); both are found in the "advanced section" in the book.

I would have said that both of these were easy - I've taught Tripping Upstairs to a class of beginners with good results and I was thinking of giving them My Darling Asleep, which I would say was easier, if anything.

Jimmy Wards and Bill Harte's are good suggestions, as are most of the others you've had above, although I think Morrison's is a little harder to make a good job of. The Oyster Girl is a nice tune but not at all Irish.

Dingle Regatta is indeed a slide, but then Cock of the North is commonly used as a slide in Ireland (often under the name of Chase me Charlie), so you could play them together. BTW you may quickly tire of the 3-part version of Dingle Regatta commonly played in England with its corny third part. There are nicer two-part settings played in Ireland.

Keithypete.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »

I think a good lot of jigs are actually more straight forward than they seem when played at less than breakneck speed and stripped of a lot of the ornamentation, which comes with practice and experience.

How about the Blackthorn stick & Saddle the pony.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

george garside

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »

pet o' the pipers & roaring )alias smash the windows) make a nice set & Hullican jig provides a lot for minimal finger movement but does encourage fine bellows control

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

nemethmik

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »

Friends! Thank you for all!
Out in the Ocean
I started with this one.

breakneck speed which comes with practice and experience.

The 1st part of "Out in the Ocean" is very easy to learn and play, but my max speed is 92 beats per minutes (BPM, http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm) which is only 80% of the speed (115 BPM) Dave Mallinson plays the tune on the CD "100 Esential Irish Session Tunes".
I hope this 92 will be OK for my friends.  :Ph
Miki
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:55:52 PM by Miklos Nemeth »

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »

I can't speak for your session friends Miki, but playing irish jigs with a good 'feel' and 'swing' is more important to me than how fast they're played. But I'm an old fella, so you'd expect me to say that ...

Keithypete.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »

I can't speak for your session friends Miki, but playing irish jigs with a good 'feel' and 'swing' is more important to me than how fast they're played.

YES,YES & THRICE YES.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

george garside

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »

I can't speak for your session friends Miki, but playing irish jigs with a good 'feel' and 'swing' is more important to me than how fast they're played.

YES,YES & THRICE YES.

a few years ago i 'accidentally' went to a fast 'irish' session, i.e. I expected it to be a more general session.  I plaayed a couple of jigs with the aforementioned 'feel & swing'   and  at a nice steady danceable pace.  The boss man said  that was lovely - just like my dad used to play.   I couldn't help thinking "then why don't you play like your dad did"

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »

The 1st part of "Out in the Ocean" is very easy to learn and play, but my max speed is 92 beats per minutes (BPM, http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm) which is only 80% of the speed (115 BPM) Dave Mallinson plays the tune on the CD "100 Esential Irish Session Tunes".
Miki

To me, "Out in the ocean" is a jig that sounds particularly good when it's played slowly. Some jigs sound a bit ploddy at 92 bpm, but not this one. I get really annoyed when people always want to play it fast, because it spoils it. When I first heard it, it was being played by an excellent Irish fiddler who played it slowly and with a lovely lilt, and this is how it lives in my head.
Stick with it, Miki!
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »

Miki

To me, "Out in the ocean" is a jig that sounds particularly good when it's played slowly. Some jigs sound a bit ploddy at 92 bpm, but not this one. I get really annoyed when people always want to play it fast, because it spoils it. When I first heard it, it was being played by an excellent Irish fiddler who played it slowly and with a lovely lilt, and this is how it lives in my head.
Stick with it, Miki!

Agreed, it's a lovely tune to play nice and slow.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 02:57:22 AM »

Thinking of the jig 'Out in the Ocean' - a friend encouraged me to learn it in A on the D/G box so we could play the tune in G then in A for gigs. It works quite nicely and it came in handy at the Cobblestone session in Dublin when they launched into the tune in A (at a fairly lively pace).

Keithypete.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 05:07:33 PM »

We finish a set of jigs with Out on the ocean, twice through in G - then once in A, just as a novelty, and because it was done on a recording once.The first in the set is Geese in the Bog, then Willie Coleman's. Not fast mind - just a nice lilt and bounce. On the other hand Benachie Sunrise - 4/4 - nice and steady, then race off with Willie's trip to Torronto - 6/8. Mind you , the difference in tempo probably makes it seem more pronounced but the jig in this case will the stand the pace.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »

1) Please? In Yorkshire a slide is by and large a simple device,  made usually by small boys of anti-social nature, to make the feet of old gentlemen suddenly go faster forward than their upper portions  :o >:( :o ???, thus providing maximum enjoyment for the perpetrator  ;D ;D ;D and much in employment in the recent inclement weather here. What is it in Irish traditional music ?
2) I have been playing the (English?) three part version of Dingle for over forty years now. Does anybody know its origin please?

Thanks,

Chris B.  :-*
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal