Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jackie Daly Tunes  (Read 2769 times)

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
Jackie Daly Tunes
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:55:48 AM »

Speaking of the the famous Cheese#/D player,there's a nice little cache of Mp3 samples with notations on the Cranford Publications website. http://www.cranfordpub.com/recordings/Daly_Many's_A_Wild.htm

You can then scroll down and click other recordings and spend the next few weeks trying out dozens of tunes while listening to the recordings.Cranford specializes in Cape Breton fiddlers but these tunes play nicely on accordion.

I particularly the version of "The Earl's Chair" on this recording http://www.cranfordpub.com/recordings/CannyHayes.htm

Chris

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Jackie Daly Tunes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »

The Canny/Hayes/O'Loughlin/Lafferty record that the Earl's Chair comes from was a very big milestone in Irish music and if I'm not mistaken the first ever LP in the genre.

Interesting listening to those clips of Jackie - hate to say it about one of my heroes but he's got a little less pungent as he has aged. On these clips, and when I've heard him recently, he plays in a much more detached, staccato fashion than he did in the 1970s and early 1980s. It seems more careful, somehow, and although it's still very nice (great job on the Dairymaid - Wensleydale?) I think I like the younger, wilder, stinkier Jackie better.

He's written some great tunes, too, although I'm not convinced the ones on view here are among his best. Doorus Mill is a fine jig, as is the Kanturk Jig, with its D-minor modulation in the second part, and Sweeney's Wheel, a circular kind of reel aptly named after a friend of his who dreamed of inventing a perpetual motion machine. The jigs I mentioned in particular are very good on the C#/D box (surprise, surprise).

Old Leaky

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:58:08 PM »

Very good: links to two out of print recordings - how handy is that! And one of which ("Many's a Wild Night") I've been after for some time -even Jackie himself couldn't shed any light on its apparent discuntinuation by Gael Linn when I raised this with him at last year's "Button Boxes & Moothies" free reed convention in Aberdeen. There you are now: links to two previous posts of mine in two other categories - if only I knew how to include the links!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:00:34 PM by Old Leaky »

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:34:14 AM »

Well Leaky,now you can learn a few of the tunes off "Many's a Wild Night" and you don't have to buy the record.

Paul Cranford does have many albums in print and it's nice of him to provide samples and transcriptions from his out of stock items.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal