Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microvox M310 v M410/M400  (Read 7850 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Microvox M310 v M410/M400
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »

I played a very unusual gig for me yesterday. I managed to convince the rest of the band to stick to a repertoire that could be played entirely on a Hohner Pokerwork. Fantastic box to play for dancing, it really is. Anyway, I thought for simplicity I'd try my old Microvox mikes (I've got one of each model) that I haven't used in ages... and interestingly, found in testing that the rather lumpy looking M310 (the one that has batteries in the treble unit rather than a battery pack) produced a much cleaner sound than the newer M410/M400 combination. Don't really know why that should be - has anyone else noticed that?

For the gig, I fitted the M310 on the Pokerwork upside down (jack lead pointing upwards rather than down), fixing the lead to the treble strap with masking tape so it goes over my shoulder (this stops the weight of the lead pulling the microphone off the box) and it worked very well indeed. Not the greatest sound available (I've got an AKG416 for that), but good enough, and very easy to set up and use.

Cheers,

Clive

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
Re: Microvox M310 v M410/M400
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:50:21 AM »

I have had gratifyingly good results with the Microvox M310 I have to say. Only problem comes when my straps get looped around it, or if the bass end cable gets looped around my knee when I stand up. Then the audience gets treated to the amplified sound of ripping velcro followed by an "Oh Bugger" from me :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:28 AM »

I played a very unusual gig for me yesterday. I managed to convince the rest of the band to stick to a repertoire that could be played entirely on a Hohner Pokerwork. Fantastic box to play for dancing, it really is.

100% agree, I have ditched all my Salterelles/Castagnaris for a Hohner EWrica for band work, the sound is just the right one.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »

100% agree, I have ditched all my Salterelles/Castagnaris for a Hohner EWrica for band work, the sound is just the right one.

For once, I have to disagree...what is the "right" sound? Personally, I like the sound of the Castagnari and Saltarelle, and the rest of the band feel that these fit the music we play at present. I guess it's all down to individual choice in the end...

Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »

For once, I have to disagree...what is the "right" sound? Personally, I like the sound of the Castagnari and Saltarelle, and the rest of the band feel that these fit the music we play at present. I guess it's all down to individual choice in the end...

Guy

Quite.
I always use my Castagnari Dony for the band, and it's ideal. I took my new Loffet Pro to a band practice ( :o) last week and it sounded lovely with guitar, fiddle, and flute in the living-room, but I stuck with Dony for Saturday's gig.... it has slightly wetter tuning and a more cutting edge, and does the job well.
However, my old pokerwork is being fettled at the moment and when I get it back I might just give it a try. Trouble is that I need my thirdless basses and sometimes the half-row, so I'd end up with 2 boxes. I suppose an emergency spare wouldn't be a bad idea though.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »

Trouble is that I need my thirdless basses and sometimes the half-row, so I'd end up with 2 boxes. I suppose an emergency spare wouldn't be a bad idea though.

I always have three live boxes at a booking, an Erica for dances, a1 row 4 stop for tunes plus my l'elfique for tunes/songs. In addition I also have a spare Erica for emergencies. This is why I now use two stand mics rather than my Microvox 410/400 set up as all the changing over is a faff.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »

Yes, CC, I'm not sure about this either - a pokerwork may have lots of punch and be light and easy to play, but I have to say that I think of it as a dominant instrument (even when retuned to a sweeter slow swing), and I'm afraid that it just can't play lots of tunes that others in the band might like to play.  And we've had separate debates about close-miked systems as well.  For some bands, or some gigs, that's fine, but not all, by any means. (I don't think Clive was suggesting this as a general rule, anyway).

I have to admit that I never really missed my two old pokerworks, despite 15 years separation!

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 02:00:23 PM »

Trouble is that I need my thirdless basses and sometimes the half-row, so I'd end up with 2 boxes. I suppose an emergency spare wouldn't be a bad idea though.

I always have three live boxes at a booking, an Erica for dances, a1 row 4 stop for tunes plus my l'elfique for tunes/songs. In addition I also have a spare Erica for emergencies. This is why I now use two stand mics rather than my Microvox 410/400 set up as all the changing over is a faff.

Have you considered the option of having a bass mic attached to your wrist and a treble mic attached to the box via a magnetic strip? That seems to be the easiest way of switching boxes.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »

Lester - Snap! Exactly the reason I swapped from my AKG316 goose-neck mics to two stand-mounted mics.
I use two AKG C1000s. How about you? Do you have much trouble with feedback?

Have you considered the option of having a bass mic attached to your wrist and a treble mic attached to the box via a magnetic strip? That seems to be the easiest way of switching boxes.
I much prefer not to be attached by wires to anything. At a big ceilidh I also like the freedom to be able to dive out into the dancers to help explain the intricacies of a Ladies Chain or Strip the Willow while the caller is busy explaining elsewhere.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 03:43:14 PM »

I much prefer not to be attached by wires to anything. At a big ceilidh I also like the freedom to be able to dive out into the dancers to help explain the intricacies of a Ladies Chain or Strip the Willow while the caller is busy explaining elsewhere.
Miss-read that...thought you'd said stage diving into the crowd. rock on. lol!

BJG

• Regular debater
    • Magicfolk
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »

Bit fed up with the feedback problems of using mics like the ATM350 at ceilidhs, and I just discovered this gadget. I'd happily suffer a drop in audio quality for the sake of convenience and an absence of howlround. (Last night I had to abandon Dashing White Sergeant and grab a guitar instead, grr. Every time there's a hint of feedback I get glares from the rest of the band, even when the channel's muted.)

So, what, you stick a strip on the treble side and it has an additional mic on a lead for the bass side...? Where exactly would this attach to my Sandpiper...? Any reason not to sell the 350 and get this instead...? I'm thinking it might look a bit unsightly though.

(I only have a single 350, and now I'm belatedly starting to add bass, that's also a bit of a problem.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:53:05 AM by BJG »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »

Bit fed up with the feedback problems of using mics like the ATM350 at ceilidhs, and I just discovered this gadget. I'd happily suffer a drop in audio quality for the sake of convenience and an absence of howlround. So, what, you stick a strip on the treble side and it has an additional mic on a lead for the bass side...? Where exactly would this attach to my Sandpiper...? Any reason not to sell the 350 and get this instead...? I'm thinking it might look a bit unsightly though.

The problem I found with an M350 on a standard sized box is that it is 11 inches long plus ~2 inches of jack plug sticking out the bottom and then the lead made it just too long. I therefore kept catching the lead on my leg and dislodging the mic. Probably not a problem if you are a two strapper but may be worth thinking about.

I therefore swapped to M410 + M400 which was less inconvenient but still a pain with all the wiring.

I now use a AKG C1000S MKIII on a mic stand and a clip on on the bass, much, much better than microvoxs/

BJG

• Regular debater
    • Magicfolk
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »

Cheers Lester...what kind of bass mic do you use...?

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »

Cheers Lester...what kind of bass mic do you use...?

Tie clip mike from Maplin. £35

My AKG is obsolete but this is the replacement £120

Play both that and my AKG through my own mini mixer BEHRINGER XENYX 802. £42

So ~£200 which is not that much more than the ~£150 for a Microvox 405/400 + PSU and infinitly better quality and easier tos swap boxes at a gig.

ACE

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »

All this talk of ditching this and changing that, is anybody getting rid of a basic M305 as I am in the market for one. I leave all the accompaniment to the rest of the band most of the time so it is only the treble end that needs amplifying.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal