Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 + 1 = 1.1?  (Read 8021 times)

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
Re: 1 + 1 = 1.1?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42:53 PM »

I followed most of this but is the claim that a dry tuned box is louder than a wet? Would this similarly mean that an MMMM four voice would be louder than an LMMH? I mean, of course, in the unlikely situation where every other element would be exactly the same.

Nope, wet is louder than dry.

MMMM would be louder than LMMH, the low reed sounds quieter (but adds depth to the sound) and the high reed also sounds quieter (but adds bite to the sound).

But with 4 MMMM reeds the beating (which the ear picks up on) is much less pronounced than with 2 MM reeds -- even though the volume (measured with a microphone) will be bigger, it will "cut through" background noise (and other instruments) less well.
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
Re: 1 + 1 = 1.1?
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 12:56:12 AM »

Can't argue that well practiced bands don't sound well together. There's no reason why a Morris band can't be just as tight as a good concert band.  But prevailing circumstances in Morris teams rarely make this feasible, so for practical purposes one musician is crisper in almost all cases.   

Has anyone ever tried removing the pea from a pea whistle?  The effect is astonishing! 

I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal