Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: security codes on pm's.  (Read 2430 times)

oompahman

security codes on pm's.
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »

when sending a private message i am always asked to fill in a set of letters as a verification.theo is mystified by this-does anyone else get asked for this requirement? ??? :||:

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: security codes on pm's.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:01:10 PM »

No.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:02:27 AM »

No (whereever I post from).  But I do get this (but not always) when I do a google search from work. Especially a search for images for some reason.

The google message is something about 'to distiguish me from a robot'. I do happen to know that the SMF kit this forum runs on logs the IP address of every post etc. Indeed some implmentations display your own and mark the others as 'logged'. 

Speculating now, I assume that google gets a lot of queries from the large organisation I work for - all common IP address - and sees a need to to defend. So if you post from a large IP setup - or even an IP supplier that looks like one - it might trigger a similar process here. We've already established that SMF forums has such a process - you've had to use it!
  _       _    _      _ 

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »

Try to get about 10 posts under your belt then send a PM. Might just need a certain level of post counts before it recognizes your not a bot.

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:15:45 PM »

Try to get about 10 posts under your belt then send a PM. Might just need a certain level of post counts before it recognizes your not a bot.

Or, does a large no. of PMs make the system suspect that you are a bot or a spammer? ???

I have never had this happen - but don't send many PMs. Have also googled from both Health and Government addresses, and never got this.

Diane
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal