Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for February 2010 - Orange in Bloom / The Sherborne Waltz  (Read 59773 times)

GbH

• GbH Online
Re: Tune of the Month for February 2010 - Orange in Bloom / The Sherborne Waltz
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »

Love it GbH! Is that a Trestle mask?

Yes, I think it's one of their workshop masks.  I found four of them, each with a different expression, in a vintage clothes shop, where they'd been previously used on display mannequins.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments - but I've now put up Take 2, a rather more visible version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLMSkE5xvjs

Diane

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2010, 12:41:15 AM »

There's been a lot of discussion about the morris version of the Tune, but not much about the waltz version, so I'd not given it's provenance much thought - apart from knowing that it's been in my memory probably from way back, from when I started to appreciate English dance music back in the late '70's.

Now, looking out Old Swan Band's 'Still Swanning' compilation CD, it seems to have come (unless anyone knows differently) from Rod Stradling and OSB and the 'No Reels' album from 1977...Rod writes in the sleeve notes in 1995, "I put the 'Sherborne Waltz' together while failing to get to grips with 'Orange in Bloom' - it has been so widely played in the intervening years that I feel rather sorry for the original!".

I know I used to play my version more 'staccato' - as Rod's is, particularly in the B-part, when aspiring more to the morris version (as the morris player he was) - but, when I came back to the tune this time, I put this way of playing down to a stiltedness arising from inexperience, rather than the way I must have heard it from the band, and 'imitated' (from the other thread...OSB being an all-time favourite, and with Rod now very much considered a mentor). I too have failed to get to grips with the jig version - and, in so doing, have pushed it even further away from the original!

Diane

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2010, 02:43:20 AM »

Love it GbH! Is that a Trestle mask?

Yes, I think it's one of their workshop masks.  I found four of them, each with a different expression, in a vintage clothes shop, where they'd been previously used on display mannequins.

Awesome (:) A relative of mine was involved in setting up Trestle and I live fairly near, so have done a few workshops with them.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2010, 04:29:24 PM »

I will hopefully get round to recording a vid soon...before I pack for cheltenham.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2010, 05:57:36 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments - but I've now put up Take 2, a rather more visible version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLMSkE5xvjs

Diane
That was just lovely, Diane!
Beautifully played, and a lovely melodeon; such a mellow sound in Bb.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »

'Ere we go... my first TOTM posting, ever (I'm new here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ48VEYxzx8

I thought I'd have a go at both the morris tune and the waltz styles.
Instrument is the D/G Oakwood I usually use for all dance stuff, bright and raucous.
I haven't played for Cotswold morris for years, and never the Sherbourne tradition.
And I'm not convinced the tune has quite the right rhythmic shape for a waltz either, but I tried.

There are improvised attempts at "interesting" harmonies that don't end up going anywhere -
I'd need to do some work on this, if I'm going to stray from 3-chord trick.

Anahata
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2010, 09:55:35 PM »

Beautiful, Anahata. For someone who hasn't played for Morris for years and has never played Sherborne, your Orange in Bloom is very danceable and has plenty of lift. I also enjoyed your Sherborne Waltz.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »

That was fantastic Anahata (:) Beautifully played.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2010, 09:59:38 AM »

'Ere we go... my first TOTM posting, ever (I'm new here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ48VEYxzx8

I thought I'd have a go at both the morris tune and the waltz styles.
Instrument is the D/G Oakwood I usually use for all dance stuff, bright and raucous.
I haven't played for Cotswold morris for years, and never the Sherbourne tradition.
And I'm not convinced the tune has quite the right rhythmic shape for a waltz either, but I tried.

There are improvised attempts at "interesting" harmonies that don't end up going anywhere -
I'd need to do some work on this, if I'm going to stray from 3-chord trick.

Anahata

This "first time 'ere" is catching ... mine too!
Here's my attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x547xWoODA4

If anyone can tell me what my box is I'd be very grateful! It was dirt cheap A/D/G and I've loved it as a starter instrument (still in my first year ...). It's got a badge saying "Excaliber" but that doesn't help me much!

I'm in the market for an upgrade ... a Saltarelle or similar (I'm clearly no expert!) ... something a bit beefier than this one, and probably with a drier sound. I've found the extra row to be v useful (I've found the high D on the pull particularly handy). I also play Eastern European stuff, so a 3-row or 2 1/2 row is what I'm thinking ....

Anyway, this is my first posting, and my first contribution to TOTM so all comments gratefully received.

Thanks to ideas from previous posts I was experimenting with different chord options ... let me know what you think?

Thanks all.

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2010, 11:31:04 AM »

Here's my attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x547xWoODA4

this is my first posting, and my first contribution to TOTM so all comments gratefully received.

Thanks to ideas from previous posts I was experimenting with different chord options ... let me know what you think?
Thanks all.

Hello, and welcome!

I very much liked the first half, but, not sure about the second....I liked what I think are the diminished chords ie the 'cross' ones, but not too sure about some of the others - grated a bit, I thought. There is a danger, I feel, particularly with 12-bass boxes, of adding in bass ornamentation almost 'for the sake of it', without it necessarily adding anything to the aural quality of the tune - and, often, IMO, even detracting from it. But, that's only my opinion.... Keep up the good work!

Regards, Diane

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2010, 12:39:43 PM »

There is a danger, I feel, particularly with 12-bass boxes, of adding in bass ornamentation almost 'for the sake of it'

Watch his left hand, Diane - he's only using 8 basses, but there's a lot of mixtures chords like G bass with D chord...
Rob Griggs, sadly deceased ex-musician for Pig Dyke Molly, who famously "didn't like folk music" would have been proud - I had to learn one of his tunes which was full of chords that didn't officially fit but it sounded wrong if you played "straight" chords with the tune because it was designed that way.

I wish I could do jazzy like that - it doesn't come naturally to me at all.

Anahata

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2010, 04:52:03 PM »

There is a danger, I feel, particularly with 12-bass boxes, of adding in bass ornamentation almost 'for the sake of it'

Watch his left hand, Diane - he's only using 8 basses, but there's a lot of mixtures chords like G bass with D chord...

....I had to learn one of his tunes which was full of chords that didn't officially fit but it sounded wrong if you played "straight" chords with the tune because it was designed that way.

I noticed, Anahata, but, it was more of a general statement (I had someone else in mind....perhaps they only use 8 basses, too...but, just the fact of having more, may possibly psychologically predispose to tending to feel the need to use more bass arrangements? or, that, 12-bass boxes tend to be purchased by those who play this way? I dunno...).

But, re. the Pig Dyke Molly tune, Anahata, the important thing is surely not 'right' or 'wrong' but, whether it sounded good with these chords? I have had arguments in the past with another musician (whom you know) re. technically-right-or-wrong chords on the melodeon - and have sometimes defended the 'wrong' ones, which I have picked up from the playing of various others. But I would only choose to use them if I think they add something to the tone of the piece.

Diane

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »

I noticed, Anahata, but, it was more of a general statement (I had someone else in mind...
just the fact of having more, may possibly psychologically predispose to tending to feel the need to use more bass arrangements? or, that, 12-bass boxes tend to be purchased by those who play this way? I dunno...).
Diane

Fair enough.
And psychological explanations v. plausible too...

My other D/G box, a Saltarelle, has 12 basses. Apart from an initial flurry of doing weird and wonderful things "because I could" with it I really don't use the extra basses much now - in one place where the F# is handy (and what Purcell wrote!), and in the recording studio I've used the F (natural) chord on one track of Jack Crawford's album - the song was in C, I don't have a C/F box and the Saltarelle's basses just sounded right .
But maybe I'm different because I bought the box primarily for song accompaniments - it can be played quietly, it has a low-octave voice, I can stop it down to single reeds and cut out the thirds from the chords. In other words it does all the things the Oakwood can't.

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »

Anahata, Diane - thanks for your comments. I appreciate the time & effort to give useful advice / thoughts.

It's lovely to start "belonging" to such a forum, rather than just "lurking" - much more rewarding!  :D

Diane, I take your point about too many cross-chords "because you can" ... this was the first time I had used many of these chords, and it was a trial / inspiration from some ideas posted on this forum. I enjoyed doing it because it was new & different (to me), but all together in one (short) piece is probably a bit much.

Anahata - I'm with you on the (limited) use of the extra bases - the F# is useful now and again, and the Bmin push, but it's not at all common for the repertoire I'm building at the moment.

You describe your Saltarelle box ... that sounds so versatile and very useful - do you know of any that are available at the moment? (Out of interest, which model do you have - and have you posted a video of it in action?)

Chris :||:

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »

You describe your Saltarelle box ... that sounds so versatile and very useful - do you know of any that are available at the moment? (Out of interest, which model do you have - and have you posted a video of it in action?)
Chris :||:

Only this so far: Saltarelle in action
Not sure what model - bought S/H (little used) at Hobgoblin Crawley because it was there, sounded right and looked useful.
Treble end is three voices LMM with an on/off control on each, and the bass end has stops for cutting thirds and cutting low basses.
The extra bass chords are F#/F and A/G
On that clip it's minimal reeds - low basses and thirds out, single reed treble. I'm hardly using the chord buttons except in the link between verses. It's mostly three part harmony with two notes in the treble and single bass notes and is a good illustration of how "un-melodeon-like" it can be made to sound.

Anahata
(edit: corrected video link)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:42:29 PM by Anahata »

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »

Not sure what model - bought S/H (little used) at Hobgoblin Crawley because it was there, sounded right and looked useful.
Treble end is three voices LMM with an on/off control on each, and the bass end has stops for cutting thirds and cutting low basses.
The extra bass chords are F#/F and A/G
On that clip it's minimal reeds - low basses and thirds out, single reed treble. I'm hardly using the chord buttons except in the link between verses. It's mostly three part harmony with two notes in the treble and single bass notes and is a good illustration of how "un-melodeon-like" it can be made to sound.

Thanks for the link - and I see what you mean about the versatility. Lovely accompanying.
I think I'm going to have to look out for this kind of versatile model - may be paying a visit to London this week, so could pop in to Hobgoblin there and see what's on the shelf ....

Again, thanks for your comments previously.
Chris

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2010, 12:21:17 PM »

Anahata

The link takes me to a 1 row 4 stop piece (v good by the way)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »

Sad Melodeon Spotter  :||:  thinks it's a Salterelle Conammara III

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »

The link takes me to a 1 row 4 stop piece (v good by the way)
this is the one I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c27pOIbxYZE

Yes, sorry I posted wrong link. I've edited the original message so it's the right one now.

I hope nobody thought my 1-row was the Saltarelle, though Mary loves singing with that too!
Anahata
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal