Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foam Melodeon  (Read 14181 times)

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
Re: Foam Melodeon
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 01:28:55 AM »

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Peter Stormy Hyde

• Regular debater
    • Hyde Accordions
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2008, 11:42:09 AM »

Pete, see this thread 

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=152b41b171589f0db4dbeab0d1fa2a81&topic=631.0
Thanks for that Malcolm,
Interesting; Some boxes need those braces between blocks, here it is the sound post of a violin!!! I have tried it when I have had similar problems but no improvement. Oscillators to close to one another, and pulling each other, I seem to recall when I have had the problem I have slightly detuned a reed to stop it happening. I did have a customer who cut the cavity out between the two cavity's so the unison reeds would pull one another into the same phase; YUCK YUCK, I tried to tell him he might as well have just one reed as it would be far better!!!!
Regards
Stormy
"Locally Made; Globally Played". Truly custom made melodeons. your total needs are met in the construction of your personalized instrument. People with physical disabilities are catered for as far as possible.

Peter Stormy Hyde

• Regular debater
    • Hyde Accordions
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »

Hi All.Just me.

Peter. Fond regards.

At a party the other night, one of your Box's was being played by a lady I had not seen before. Given that the gathering included a young but very talented BC player on his new 3v Saltarelle, and my noisy self, I was quite impressed.

With the other boxes sounding quite decently, I was impressed with the 'Hyde' in a session environment. I had not had the honour of meeting one before. I do not know if its insides were balsa, foam or anything else, the music played on it certainly sounded good to my humble ear though!

All the fundamental fundumentals were where they should have been, and the result was - music.

More power to your overhead router mate. Congratulations on a great result.
Thanks for those kind words Mate;
I know who's box that was, and she lives in Melbourne. It is one of my flutinas made before I got into the foam, so the concertina styled reed pan within is made from balsa with a 1.5 mm ply on each side to stiffen.

It was 2 identical flutinas I used  to put the foam to the test, one had balsa and the other one had foam reed pans, both had B/C hand made reeds from the same maker. The foam one seemed to me at first that I had lost my top end, but when we analyzed the sound we found that I had picked up an improvement of about 33% on the lower fundamental and the 3rd, and after that I seem to recall that we picked up an improvement of about 10- 15% across the board up to about the 13th with no pick up of the evens. So the box sounds lower, and sometimes people have thought they were listening to bassoon reeds on some of my other foam boxes (reed blocks only) when in fact they were listening to tenor reeds.

The nice thing about foam it is so easy to work, today I was fitting the reeds to a new box, and the new reed plates from my maker were thicker than usual, I have designed my boxes right down to the last MM, so I had rivets stopping me getting my reed blocks right home, so it was a very easy job to run the reed blocks over a sanding plate to get that extra 0.5 mm that I needed.

But wear a respirator all the time, even when cutting timber.
Stormy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:48:18 PM by Peter Stormy Hyde »
"Locally Made; Globally Played". Truly custom made melodeons. your total needs are met in the construction of your personalized instrument. People with physical disabilities are catered for as far as possible.

Peter Stormy Hyde

• Regular debater
    • Hyde Accordions
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2008, 12:30:12 PM »

When I started using balsa wood in my accordions about 10 years ago, to my knowledge there was no other accordion makers using it. People used to look at me very strangely at festivals when I said I was using balsa to make my reed blocks, mostly thinking I was off my rocker. It was only when an English Accordion web site interviewed me where I said that I was using it in reed blocks, they then published it listing timber for reed blocks as balsa plus others, and it seems it has became an acceptable timber for the job. I bet the same will happen with foam!!!!
And by the way people look at me even more strangely at festivals when I tell them that I use foam, but I do believe in letting people know what I'm doing, can you imagine the shock horror if someone bought an instrument and opened it up and found foam, and had no idea that I had used it.

All the best for now
Stormy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:46:07 PM by Peter Stormy Hyde »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal