Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A's and B's in abc  (Read 5631 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
A's and B's in abc
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »

I am having trouble getting Abc Navigator2 to show the "P" field. Can anybody suggest how to solve this please?

Thanks,

Chris.

I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: A's and B's in abc
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 09:07:48 AM »

I am having trouble getting Abc Navigator2 to show the "P" field. Can anybody suggest how to solve this please?

Thanks,

Chris.

This works for me, assuming all you want is the displaying of A or B. Not sure if ABC Nav will follow a formula for you (2A, 2B) etc??

X:1
T:Bicycle Pump Polka
M:4/4
L:1/4
R:
K:G
P:"A"
dB/G/ DG z4|cA/F/ DF z4|dB/G/ DG z4|cA/F/ DF z4:||
P:"B"
dB/G/ D/G/B/d/ | c A/A/ A A | c A/F/E/F/ A  |G  B  d2 |
dB/G/ D/G/B/d/ |cA/A/ A A | c A/F/E/F/ A  |G  G  G2 |

LJC

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 10:29:17 AM »

I think I've tried EVERY PC and Mac ABC program there is out there, and I've found that each one has at least one field or symbol which other read properly but that the one in use doesn't. Quite often the speech marks are very important (it will only work with/without them). Often I just omit the P field and write in repeat bars - it should be obvious which part is which.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »

I've compared Lester's BP Polka to my working of Banbury Bill and the cause of my problem seems to be that I have been trying to have the chords displayed as well as the parts, with the result that the first chord description of each part is trying to occupy the same space on the printed music sheet.  :o Can anyone see any way in which I can show both chords and parts?

1) Thanks Lester - I'm now going to have to learn the BP Polka! And no, Abc Navvy won't show formulae under "P", but I've bodged this by putting it in the end of the Title field.

2) LJC - No, I wasn't using quotes,  :|bl but once I did, the field filled sucessfully until I tried the chords as well! Thanks.

And a successful Lent to all my Readers!

Chris B.

P.S. I find Banbury Bill so much easier to play on the Melodeon than on my fiddle, even though I do need to use the dirty end!  :||:

C.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »

1) Thanks Lester - I'm now going to have to learn the BP Polka!

Th Bicycle Pump Polka is not for the feint hearted, here is its author playing it

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »

Thanks, Lester I always wanted to have a go at thet. If you use abc2ps and abc2midi, You can have parts and chords, and get a midi file to play correctly. I've had to hack Lester's abc around a bit to get it to all work, but this is it. Can't post the midi, I think.
Code: [Select]
X:74
M:2/4
L:1/8
C:3(1A.1B)
R:Polka
P:ABABAB
P:A
|:"G"dB/G/ DG|z4|"D"cA/F/ DF|z4|"G"dB/G/ DG|z4|"D"cA/F/ DF|z4:|
P:B
|:"G"dB/G/ D/G/B/d/ |"D" c A/A/ A A |"D" c A/F/E/F/ A  |"G"G  B  d2 |
"G"dB/G/ D/G/B/d/ |"D"cA/A/ A A |"D" c A/F/E/F/ A  |"G"G  G  G2 :|
If you put the parts in the C: field, they come out in the right place. This is normally ok, as traditional tunes usually don't have an author.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:58:35 PM by Bill Farmer »
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 02:28:14 PM »

In ABC, you don't need double quotes in the P: field.

So - to indicate parts A, B, C, etc., the abc code should be
(then part A in abc)
(then part B in abc)
P:C
(then part C in abc)

Don't use P:"A", P:"B", P:"C", etc., as this can cause errors when attempting to use the P: field in the tune header in order to play multiple parts in a specific order. 

Bill's ABC of Bicycle Pump Polka in the previous post has the correct P: syntax.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »

Thanks, Lester I always wanted to have a go at thet. If you use abc2ps and abc2midi, You can have parts and chords, and get a midi file to play correctly. I've had to hack Lester's abc around a bit to get it to all work, but this is it. Can't post the midi, I think. [SNIP]

Fascinating. May I take it that the even bars in the A music are to be improvised? Hmmm, Lester has hidden depths!

Our family song years ago was 'I went to market to buy a cock' and the kids were encouraged to do their thing. Dolly liked "to buy a hedgehog" - and their noise was very reminiscent of that bicycle pump. No, I don't know if Chris Walshaw has implemented hedgehog snuffle in ABC either, but as a piper himself there was definitely scope for 'strange noises'
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »

Fascinating. May I take it that the even bars in the A music are to be improvised? Hmmm, Lester has hidden depths!

No it is not improvised, you need to look at the video in reply #4 above. It is, to my knowledge, the only tune that can only be played on a melodeon.

And I, according the The Sainted Mrs Bailey, have hidden shallows  ;D

Keithypete.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »

Am I missing something? Surely the air button is crucial to this tune - as in piano accordion, concertina, bandoneon. Could the players of these instruments not join in the fun too ???
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »

Am I missing something? Surely the air button is crucial to this tune - as in piano accordion, concertina, bandoneon. Could the players of these instruments not join in the fun too ???
I do believe you are missing something.
Piano Accordion air buttons are not in a playable place they only facilitate closing the bellows when finished with playing
Concertinas and Bandoneons do not have metal corner pieces which, are in my opinion, pivotal in playing the tune adding clack to the bellows thumping
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:41:31 AM by Lester »

LJC

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 07:55:37 PM »

Just after I wrote it down for Lester originally I tried to do a fiddle version, with some staccato bow strokes, but perhaps the best thing would be to just do some heavy breathing. I'm sure a good wind instrument player could do it some justice.

And I think it HAS to be played in the upper octave - you don't get the same 'all in a row' effect when going down crossing to the low E on the D row.

And you can use T: as many times as you like to give extra subtitles which can be used to show AB's.

X:74
M:2/4
T:3(AB)
|:"G"dB/G/ DG|z4|"D"cA/F/ DF|z4|"G"dB/G/ DG|z4|"D"cA/F/ DF|z4:|
|:"G"dB/G/ D/G/B/d/ |"D" c A/A/ A A |"D" c A/F/E/F/ A  |"G"G  B  d2 |
"G"dB/G/ D/G/B/d/ |"D"cA/A/ A A |"D" c A/F/E/F/ A  |"G"G  G  G2 :|
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:03:07 PM by LJC »

Keithypete.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »

Piano Accordion air buttons are not in a playable place they only faciltate closing the bellows when finished with playing
Concertinas and Bandoneons do not have metal corner pieces which, are in my opinion, pivotal in playing the tune adding clack to the bellows thumping

I'm afraid your picking gnat sh*t out of pepper!!!!!!!
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »

Piano Accordion air buttons are not in a playable place they only facilitate closing the bellows when finished with playing

I'm afraid your picking gnat sh*t out of pepper!!!!!!!

And I respect you views as well.   :-\

ps That is "you're" not "your"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:41:43 AM by Lester »

LJC

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 08:27:42 AM »

Try doing those bellows movements on a Piano Accordeon and see how it feels...

old geezer

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Melodeon
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »

another of Jananderss, this time a chicken polka: must be played in the farm yard
Jack Murphy    beyond the black stump

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »

Here's what I've managed so far.  ;D I STILL haven't been able to do without the quotes in "P:" though, as you will see.
X:1
T:BANBURY BILL
S:Journal 1956 (not quite as here given)
O:Bampton
C:A.(A.B3)3.A
B:Morris Ring
Z:2005 John Chambers <jc@trillian.mit.edu> BUT!
Z: Chords and general beautification courtesy of Melnet. You know who you are guys!  :-*
Z: Thanks, Chris.
K:Gmaj
P:"A"
|"G"G2A2 B2G2 |"C" c2d2 e4 | "D"A2B2 c2dc | "G"B2c2 "D"d4 |
"G"d2G2 B2d2 | "G"g2a2 b4 | "C"c'2a2 "D"e2f2 | "G"g4 g4 ||
P:"B"
|"G"g2a2 b2g2 | "D"f2g2 a4 | "A"e2f2 g2ag | "D"f2e2 d2ef |
"G"g2G2 G4 | "G"B2c2 d4 | "C"ef g2 "D"fg a2 | "G"g4 g4 ||

Thanks again peoples!

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »

It works without quotes in ABC Explorer, but I have to put the sequence as a P: field to get it to play the sequence.
X:4
T:BANBURY BILL
S:Journal 1956 (not quite as here given)
O:Bampton
P:A.(A.B3)3.A
B:Morris Ring
Z:2005 John Chambers <jc@trillian.mit.edu> BUT!
Z: Chords and general beautification courtesy of Melnet. You know who you are guys!  Kiss
Z: Thanks, Chris.
K:Gmaj
|"G"G ..... etc

I guess each application has its own foibles.   It comes out clearer in ABC Explorer if you put the chords below the stave.
Tony S
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal