Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transitions  (Read 12712 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Transitions
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »

Why would an elephant have a nest?

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »

That's probably the point, like fish and bicycles.  ;D
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 10:12:55 PM »

"ha ha ha, hee hee hee,
An Elephant's Nest in a Rhubarb Tree" - I learned these words as a child to the tune of Little Brown Jug, but I've never heard the expression since. I thought it was just my Dad being silly, but maybe not (I must ask him).  ::)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 11:06:06 PM »

The full rhyme, remembered from my childhood is:

The Elephant is a pretty bird
She flits from bough to bough
She builds her nest in the rhubarb tree
and whistles like a cow

though that does not fit easily with the Little Brown Jug tune.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »

Place to lay their eggs and feed their young I expect.
G

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 11:35:02 PM »

If you're putting two tunes together with the same rhythm, then it's best to run one straight into the other, and keep the rhythm going. That's how it's done for dance sets, for obvious reasons, and will avoid confusion at sessions (because when you stop playing the first tune, they will all think you have finished).
If you have a break, then there really isn't much point in playing the two tunes together.

Playing a set of tunes in a band, a clean snap change can add emphasis to the change and lift the dancers without losing the rhythm -- we use this quite a lot and the dancers never seem to get confused.

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 01:15:34 AM »

If you're putting two tunes together with the same rhythm, then it's best to run one straight into the other, and keep the rhythm going. That's how it's done for dance sets, for obvious reasons, and will avoid confusion at sessions (because when you stop playing the first tune, they will all think you have finished). If you have a break, then there really isn't much point in playing the two tunes together.
Playing a set of tunes in a band, a clean snap change can add emphasis to the change and lift the dancers without losing the rhythm -- we use this quite a lot and the dancers never seem to get confused.Ian

Just back from a battery recharge in France and it has emphasised my experience and belief that rhythm is critical. The best is to actually do something with the first tune be it arrangement or something spontaneous. If you feel moved to medley (ideally just after breakfast  :|bl) anything other than a rhythm that carries through will detract to the ear. I've even had problems trying to join a  central French mazurka to a Burgundy one - served me quite right too!

If you are staying in G and want to change tunes - a solid D7 dominant chord will act a as a sort of firewall between them, and even smooth over such matters as alluded to above. The more general rule is to play the dominant for the key you are heading into - so A7 if switching to D, or B7 into Em. Some boxes won't have a full B7 but part chord will often suffice. Even B/F# played as a pair will hint the change.

Any who don't know what or where a D7 chord is on the box - well IMHO you really need to consider actualy learning it. Chords are the 'words' of music and unless you get into that language - communication with other musicians will commonly and simply fail. For the record (as discussed before) D7 is D F# A and C on the G row, all pull, RIGHT end. The F# and C are the important notes as they interact and 'to the ear' force the next chord as resolution - hence 'dominant'. The natural resolution is to G, but resolving to a key of B, or even F or C# is legal.

The dominant for the major key on the D row is A7 and that's what to play if you're headed there. Pulling these chords in one handful is OK, but weaving them into the tunes as a sequence of notes sounds prettier. The actual order is a matter of style and it's also OK to not play them all. A good trick I was reminded of last week is to to get to a note half a tone from the first note of the next tune. 'Resolution' again.
  _       _    _      _ 

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »

If you're putting two tunes together with the same rhythm, then it's best to run one straight into the other, and keep the rhythm going. That's how it's done for dance sets, for obvious reasons, and will avoid confusion at sessions (because when you stop playing the first tune, they will all think you have finished). If you have a break, then there really isn't much point in playing the two tunes together.
Playing a set of tunes in a band, a clean snap change can add emphasis to the change and lift the dancers without losing the rhythm -- we use this quite a lot and the dancers never seem to get confused.Ian

Just back from a battery recharge in France and it has emphasised my experience and belief that rhythm is critical. The best is to actually do something with the first tune be it arrangement or something spontaneous. If you feel moved to medley (ideally just after breakfast  :|bl) anything other than a rhythm that carries through will detract to the ear.

The best thing to do with the first tune -- and the second tune, and indeed any tune -- is to "do something with it", not just play it dead straight time after time. Variations, harmony and ornamentation (not done to excess, of course) are the life-blood of good music.

When arranging tunes for the band we're always thinking "if I was dancing this, what would lift and inspire me and hold my interest?"

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 09:40:49 PM »

Have to agree with Ian on the "snap" change, playing for Irish ceili dancing and contradancing: with the right tunes, a beat's silence at the end of one before a very emphatic start of another one always seems to lift the dancers.

I tend to avoid going into a tune of a different rhythm in an informal session, but for something to go on a record or play in a concert, why not? And for dancing too... we're all familiar with My love is but a lassie into Atholl Highlanders or similar changes for Cumberland Sq 8. Jigs into reels work very well in some dances too, giving the impression that the music has gone into overdrive even though you keep the same beat.

When you go from a brisk slip jig into a reel in a strip the willow dance (Stoke Golding country dance etc.) the effect is even more supercharged. Too much fun not to do!

To add to Theo's point about tune's ending and starting notes, I usually pay attention to this as well as to the key change in putting sets together. You can get dramatic effects where one tune ends on a high note (literally not necessarily metaphorically) and the next starts on a low one, and vice versa. Or an incremental buildup of tension where the next tune starts a tone or a semitone higher (or lower) than either the last note in the previous tune (or the first note of the previous tune that everybody with ears is expecting).

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 10:38:21 AM »

The band I play in has a fairly loose attitude with regard to arrangements. In one dance we were playing for, we suddenly realised that all three fiddles were playing harmonies and no-one was playing the actual tune! After a moment of panic we all slammed back into the tune and the dancers didn't even notice.

Occasionally I've found that it is sometimes better to play an extra A part before changing, but that's very much up to the tune being played.

Nigel

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 12:00:25 PM »

My favourite transition of all time is Harper's Frolic into Bonny Kate. Change of key and the actual transition notes lifts the whole dance

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »

My favourite transition of all time is Harper's Frolic into Bonny Kate. Change of key and the actual transition notes lifts the whole dance
Yes - that's a good'un!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »

The band I play in has a fairly loose attitude with regard to arrangements. In one dance we were playing for, we suddenly realised that all three fiddles were playing harmonies and no-one was playing the actual tune!

Given your continuation below it seems you were truly 'doing something with it ...  8)

After a moment of panic we all slammed back into the tune and the dancers didn't even notice.

.. the morale to this happy tale perhaps then being that you didn't need to have panicked  ;)

_       _    _      _ 

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 07:50:13 AM »

The full rhyme, remembered from my childhood is:

The Elephant is a pretty bird
She flits from bough to bough
She builds her nest in the rhubarb tree
and whistles like a cow

though that does not fit easily with the Little Brown Jug tune.

Sits reasonably with "New York Girls" though.

sticky fingers

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »

wow, this realy is down to personal experience and contrasting styles of play!. from an irish music style of playing it all depends on what other musicians your'e playing with. in our band (fiddle, octave mandola, dadgad guitar and my d/g box, its very easy to slip from one tune to another in the same key because other instruments can take the lead or vary the tempo of accompiment to make everything sound like its moved up a gear!. if i was just playing in a duo or solo i would always go for a key change inbetween tunes for maximum impact that way you avoid the old adage of (all irish music sounds the same).transition between tunes is so personal i doubt any of us on this forum can advise you, (whats good for one is awful for another)best to decide for yourself, listen to what you have chosen, and if it works for your style of music stick with it and dont let anyone change your mind!. hope this helps. 

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »

For the record (as discussed before) D7 is D F# A and C on the G row, all pull, RIGHT end.

This baffled me a bit as I didn't recall having a pull D anywhere on the box. A few minutes of investigation have revealed That my box is a bit of an oddball, it's 23 button with extended low scale but the second button (from the chin) on both rows is non standard. On the G row I have (push/pull) B/E instead of B/D and on the D row F#/B instead of F#/A

Can anyone shed any light on what advantage/disadvantage this might give? Do I need to get it to Theo for fettling? (it's about ready for a brush up tuning anyway)

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »

It's just continuing the scale downwards,  whether it needs to be changed entirely depends on what you want to play.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:29:48 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal