Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: German Melodeon Library - Elementary School for Diatonic Accordions  (Read 13428 times)

Sebastian

Re: German Melodeon Library - Elementary School for Diatonic Accordions
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »

In particular, there are no push/pull notations.
I might seem a bit like a parrot, but I still would recommend to read this short article on the history of meloden tab notation in Germany: http://www.volksmusikschule.at/entwicklung.htm

Let me quote two passages:

Unter den Bassbuchstaben ist ein durchgehender dünner Unterstrich, der als Zeichen für Zudruck verstärkt ist, Aufzug bleibt dünn. Hier ist also erstmals ein dicker Unterstrich Angabe der Zugrichtung. Nach den mir vorliegenden Unterlagen scheint sich dieses System nach 1945 allgemein durchgesetzt zu haben.

Than for 1975:

Zudruck wird durch einen dicken Unterstrich angegeben, beim Aufzug fehlt der Unterstrich.

Neverthless I want to repeat what I said in the beginning and what was essentially confirmed by TomBom: Stay away from tab notation, if you want to understand your instrument.

Willh

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Club IIIM C/F, Hohner Club Morino N
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »

Thanks, Sebastian. I did go back and look at the page you referenced, but it doesn't fit the model used in my book.

The |------------------| notation used is only of one thickness (i.e. not thick and thin) and does not appear beneath the bass notation, but rather between it and the melody.

I just thought I'd ask. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

And I do use standard music notation, but I'd like to learn about all aspects of the instrument and for a Club, this sort of tab notation seems to be important, even if only historically. And I like history. :)

All the best,

Will
Will

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »

;) That's why I wrote
My local library ... has some books for diatonic accordions. Every single one uses a different kind of Griffschrift. I hate that. IMO it would be best to switch to standard notation ASAP.
Will, the |------------------| notation either means push or pull. I can't tell from the sample pages you posted.
I admire your motivation to read these complicated and long-winded explanations! There is a reason these books are out of print for decades. :)

BTW, did you have a look at http://www.delaguerre.com/delaguerre/pedagogy/club/intro.html ?

Sebastian

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2017, 01:07:18 AM »

The |------------------| notation used is only of one thickness (i.e. not thick and thin)
Yes, like in the quotation for the later period I put in my last posting. Or maybe I just don't get the point. :-[

When there is a black line underneath the dots, it means: push. It's binary; you have either push or pull. When there is more black, it's push. When there is less or no black at all, it's pull.

I'd like to learn about all aspects of the instrument
You have a point. 8)

But, please, don't fritter away to much time with tab notation. When even Mr. Fuchs, who offers a massive collection of Griffschrift-transcribed tunes, says: "Ein musikalisch vorgebildeter Mensch tut sich vielleicht sogar leichter, nach normalen Noten zu spielen" (and you are a musically skilled person), than you should maybe take that into consideration and switch back to normal notation - be it only on behalf of more efficient progress.

Willh

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Club IIIM C/F, Hohner Club Morino N
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2017, 07:27:35 AM »

Thanks, guys.

TomBom: Yes, I've looked at the Delaguerre site. It's part of why I find the scalar, cross-row playing aspect of the Club so interesting.

I don't spend a lot of time with the Holzschuh / Seifert system stuff.

Mainly just when my brain is overloaded from trying to figure out a good finger for a new tune and I just want to try playing something else, but more straightforward. And believe it or note, I do find the Holzschuh / Seifert system fairly straightforward (well, at least what is in the old 30s-era PDF scans referenced here on Melnet.). :)

Sebastian: I overlooked your further comment (the second one) about |--------------| meaning push and no marks meaning pull. Was a long day and I just went snowblind. :)

All the best,

Will
Will
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal