Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: help with ABC  (Read 8127 times)

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
help with ABC
« on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »

I must be the biggest technophbe/ignoramus there is
sooooooooooooooooo .. I coulod do with a little help from friends ..........
I want to learn the tune of the month, but its in ABC which I dont understand, but I do read dots.  I have ABC Navigator whic a friend put on for me.  I go to Lesters help anout ABC ....  but nowhere does it tell me what step I have to take to get the ABC into dots ...
HELP  ....... its an age thing :|bl
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

jb

• Respected Sage
Re: help with ABC
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »

I must be the biggest technophbe/ignoramus there is
sooooooooooooooooo .. I coulod do with a little help from friends ..........
I want to learn the tune of the month, but its in ABC which I dont understand, but I do read dots.  I have ABC Navigator whic a friend put on for me.  I go to Lesters help anout ABC ....  but nowhere does it tell me what step I have to take to get the ABC into dots ...
HELP  ....... its an age thing :|bl
Lin
one simple option is here:
http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 05:42:54 PM »

ooh thanks JB

Ive done it!!

knew I could rely on you  8)
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 07:06:15 PM »

Some good old bloke wrote this  An Introduction to ABC Notation

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »

Ah .. thanks Lester, I did read that info but I just couldnt get it into my head for some reason

having now re read it Ifinally understand taht it just wasbnt sinking in ...  many thanks
Lin :|bl
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:07:15 AM »

Unfortunately ABC Navigator is hideously opaque if you want to use it with an ABC file imported from somewhere else.
It really wants you to use it to create all your ABC, and store and manage your tunes its way.

It's a pity, because it's almost the program we've all been waiting for to replace the ubiquitous and flawed ABC2Win.
(many of us, anyway, I'm happy with vim, abcm2ps and ghostscript/ghostview on the command line, but I'm old fashioned...)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »

(many of us, anyway, I'm happy with vim, abcm2ps and ghostscript/ghostview on the command line, but I'm old fashioned...)

If you're really old fashioned you can do it all in emacs...
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:42:40 AM »

Unfortunately ABC Navigator is hideously opaque if you want to use it with an ABC file imported from somewhere else.

???

I've never had a problem with it.  Copy the files into clipboard and use the "new from Clipboard" option in the File button.  Works every time (so far).  Then "save as" to save the file somewhere on the computer.

Steve

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:47:01 AM »

Ive taken to using the Montreal Tunebook site. http://music.gordfisch.net/oregans/index.php
I'll sort out how to get it blue sometime! And now it's gone blue by itself!!

Nigel
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:58:47 AM by strad »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »

I've never had a problem with it.  Copy the files into clipboard and use the "new from Clipboard" option in the File button. 
I never spotted that :o
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Howard Jones

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »

I prefer to use ABC Explorer, which I find easier to use than ABC Navigator - despite its name I always seemed to get lost navigating around the screens and files.

You can download ABC Explorer here:
http://stalikez.info/abc/abcex.php

Although originally in French it is available in English, including the Help file.  Unfortunately the explanation of ABC notation is only in French. However Steve Mansfield has written a very good explanation, and Lester's introduction contains a link to this.

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 11:22:31 AM »

I prefer to use ABC Explorer, which I find easier to use than ABC Navigator - despite its name I always seemed to get lost navigating around the screens and files.

You can download ABC Explorer here:
http://stalikez.info/abc/abcex.php

Although originally in French it is available in English, including the Help file.  Unfortunately the explanation of ABC notation is only in French. However Steve Mansfield has written a very good explanation, and Lester's introduction contains a link to this.
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 09:07:30 PM »

I prefer to use ABC Explorer

Me too! I've been using it for ages now and the only feature I miss from ABC Navigator is the ability to route the midi playback to a midi out port instead of the sound card. Sounds much better through a decent synth but I can live with that.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 11:39:27 AM »

http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/

If you read the dots then you will love abc, once you cotton on to what is going on. Logical rules and fantastically quick to write, compared with manuscript  editors. I paid good money for Harmony but never use it now. Not always completely intuitive but comparing existing files with the sheet music displayed is a painless way  to understand how phrasing, embellishments etc. work.

After trying out the free downloads of ABC editiors I could find I settled on EasyABC as being simple and quick to use. It does everything you're likely to need to create and read trad music (well, any music really). 

If you want to make pdfs  Ghostscript is useful to create them. This is another free package. You may already have it.  If you need it you'll get a message when you try to export to pdf. It's simple to find and load. It works automatically once installed.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Sebastian

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 12:17:12 PM »

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »

What don't you like about EasyAbc, Seb?  As TDG says, it's quick and simple to use for a beginner and it does what it's supposed to.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 06:20:04 PM »

http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/

If you read the dots then you will love abc,

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not the world's greatest sight-reader, but I do read music reasonably well and I cannot get on AT ALL with ABC.   Just my opinion........

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 08:17:17 PM »

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not the world's greatest sight-reader, but I do read music reasonably well and I cannot get on AT ALL with ABC.   Just my opinion........

Graham

I suppose that would entirely depend on what you were trying to do with it (ABC that is). It's simply a text based coding language that uses tools to change that code into something else like staff notation or a midi sound file, simple, quick and entirely free.

This evening I transcribed a tune from the second edition of Playford Vol.3 that has only ever been seen by those who have had access to a 1726 original, and a few scholars. In due course the whole transcript will be freely available thanks to the Village Music Project but here's a little taster courtesy of an abc user ;)

X:117
T:Nampwich Fair. Playford 3 2nd Ed. 1726. 117
T:Longways for as many as will
M:6/8
L:1/8
Z:vmp. Peter Dunk 2015
Q:3/8=110
K:D
d|d2A A2d|d2A A2d|fgf efd|e3-e2 A|B2B BAG|A2A AGF|GAG FED|E3-E2:|
|:A|A2E EFG|F2D D2d|d2A AB=c|B3-B2 f|g2f efd|cde A2A|Bcd ecA|d3-d2:|
W:
W:Note: Each Strain twice over. (Repeat marks added for clarity)
W:
W:The first Man Sett to his Partner, then both cast off and take Hands round. The second do
W:the same. The first Couple cross over and go to the Figure of Eight between the second
W:couple into the second couple's place. Then Right Hand and Left Hand with the second Couple.

Just out of interest why did this thread get dredged up after lying dormant for over five years? weird.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:56:51 PM by Pete Dunk »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Sebastian

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 08:45:36 PM »

What don't you like about EasyAbc, Seb?  As TDG says, it's quick and simple to use for a beginner and it does what it's supposed to.
Yes, I suppose "it does what it's supposed to". But it is not supposed to do "any music really" (nor is abc). The music I sang most often during many years was plain chant. Abc is completely useless for that kind of music.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 09:10:36 PM »

The music I sang most often during many years was plain chant. Abc is completely useless for that kind of music.

As are all other methods of creating modern stave notation because plainchant doesn't use it (although there are equivalents for The Neumes within modern notation) You may as well say an English/French dictionary isn't much use for Greek - Correct!

Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal