Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with ABC  (Read 8126 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: help with ABC
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 09:33:10 PM »

I didn't know Nantwich Fair was from Playford! (albeit a very late edition of the book)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »

Watch out for a PM  ;)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Sebastian

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »

Abc is completely useless for that kind of music.

As are all other methods of creating modern stave notation because plainchant doesn't use it (although there are equivalents for The Neumes within modern notation) You may as well say an English/French dictionary isn't much use for Greek - Correct!
There is no need to be snippy. I objected to the statement, that EasyAbc does everything one needs to create and read "any music really". I knew abc notation for years and was in need of a notation program, but never could use abc.

Or what about this in abc? Or this? Or this? Or this?

This is notable in abc notation, but the feature is not supported by ABCexplorer (which is the program I use). I don't know about EasyAbc.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »

There is no need to be snippy.

I'm not being snippy and I'm sorry if it appears that I am. You are objecting to a statement that was made today in a topic that was posted several years ago. This is the Tune of the Month Forum on melodeon.net. A member posed a question about how she could turn an abc file into staff notation, that query was eventually answered, end of topic.

Resurrected today the subject matter appears to be 'what the hell use is abc?' Where does that come from? Is it on topic - no! Is the Tune of the Month plainchant? No! Should the music of plainchant be included in Theme of the Month? Possibly - give it a go.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »

OK. I'll rephrase my statement. Any music really, that can be notated on "normal" staves (they probably have a Sunday name, but I don't know it).

This may be an old post, but, for the ABC phobe, it's probably worth enlarging on why I think it's useful and what it isn't. There seem to be some misconceptions and I wouldn't want them to miss out.

-ABC is a simple way of recording musical notation in text form. 

-ABC is a quick and simple way of summarising a tune. Literally on the back of a fag packet, if you wanted, if anyone still smokes!

-ABC is not, primarily, a substitute for musical notatation. If I did want to play a tune from ABC, in the absence of a computer with an editor loaded,  I would manually transcribe it onto a stave first. When I might substitute raw ABC for musical notation is when jotting down a melody or fragment I had just worked out, or had shown me (e.g., at a session).

-ABC has big advantages over stave systems of notatation software (such as Sybellius and Harmony), in that the format of and syntax of files is a constant and so can be used with any editor (alright, I admit that there can be quirks, but they are usually pretty easy to resolve if you understand stave notatation).

-I would not use a raw ABC file to work out a tune from. I would load it into one of the many free ABC editors and play the tune from the conventional stave music that is displated. can be printed and can can be turned into a pdf for sharing with people who don't use ABC..

-ABC files are tiny text files, but they can hold a lot of information.

So, download a (free) ABC editor, then next time Lester posts an ABC of a tune you can just copy and paste it into the editor and read the dots, painlessly.

Here's one of the easiest to use, there are plenty of others:
http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »

As a non-stave reader I find playing from ABC  reasonably easy

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »

Any music really, that can be notated on "normal" staves (they probably have a Sunday name, but I don't know it).

According to a GCSE music syllabus I saw recently "Music of the Western classical tradition". Not to be confused in any way with what we call "classical" or "serious" music of course although that is included under the same heading.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 07:00:09 PM »

(many of us, anyway, I'm happy with vim, abcm2ps and ghostscript/ghostview on the command line, but I'm old fashioned...)

If you're really old fashioned you can do it all in emacs...

Yes, indeed, I do :-)

I've adapted an abc-mode I found and mixed it with some of my own scripts and cli stuff. It works well for me.

btw. GNU Emacs ain't old fashioned, mine is quite shiny with all sorts of new goodies in it.

Edited to add:  only just noticed, this is an ancient thread resurected. Ah well, long day playing and I'm tired.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:03:31 PM by Andrew Wigglesworth »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal