Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for March 2010 - The Plane Tree/Mominette  (Read 67647 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert

Is that really a Lilly Susi? It sounds like it has two voices and tremolo to me. Nicely played btw, bellows control will come in time. Studies are more important at the moment, you have the rest of your life to work out the finer points of box playing. Taking time out is important too of course and music is a great way to let your mind unwind from information overload.  ;)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll

Sounds good Susi  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

Susanne

• Respected Sage

Is that really a Lilly Susi? It sounds like it has two voices and tremolo to me. Nicely played btw, bellows control will come in time. Studies are more important at the moment, you have the rest of your life to work out the finer points of box playing. Taking time out is important too of course and music is a great way to let your mind unwind from information overload.  ;)

Thanks guys!
Yes Tallship, that is a Lilly:) But it has some weird tremolo in the basses. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way.
Right now I have no studies. I took a break, because I got sick from the stress. I sort of collapsed and had to go to the ER because of severe dizziness. It was to me a sign that I need to do something else for a while, and learn to take better care of myself. I'm much better now, and music is good medicine:)

zubz

• Respected Sage

It was to me a sign that I need to do something else for a while, and learn to take better care of myself. I'm much better now, and music is good medicine:)
As someone said, "if music be the food of love, shoot the accordionist". At least I think that was the quote.

You're right Susi, music IS a great medicine.
Good to have you back on your feet again and already producing lovely stuff on the new Lilly.
More power to you!
Looking forward to more recordings...
Chris

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning

Right now I have no studies. I took a break, because I got sick from the stress. I sort of collapsed and had to go to the ER because of severe dizziness. It was to me a sign that I need to do something else for a while, and learn to take better care of myself. I'm much better now, and music is good medicine:)

Nice playing, Susi. Please take good care of yourself. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting a tune on the birthday cake organetto  ;D

Susanne

• Respected Sage

Thanks! Hmmm, as soon as there is a tune I can play with only two chords (or sounds good enough with too few or even without them), the cake organetto will be brought to the webcamera! Right now everything is packed down except the Lilly and the mandolin though... moving house this coming week.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning

Thanks! Hmmm, as soon as there is a tune I can play with only two chords (or sounds good enough with too few or even without them), the cake organetto will be brought to the webcamera! Right now everything is packed down except the Lilly and the mandolin though... moving house this coming week.

No wonder you are stressed out. Moving can be a big chore. As for two chords, how about "Midsommarvaka", I think all the notes are on the box. Takes a bit of push and pull, though...Cheers!  :||:

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

From Maxou himself, the definitive answer about the name and origin of this tune!

Hi Clive,

"Mominette" was written around 1981, when I was starting playing the HG. I played it to Michel PICHON, who brought it to UK when he was playing with Paul JAMES.
"Mominette" means a small "pastis" aperitif they use to drink in the south of France.
It's a traveling tune...
Have a great time playing it !
Maxou

Once again, thanks to Maxou for his tune - he's our favourite author with 2 TOTM hits!

Cheers,

Clive

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
Re: Tune of the Month for March 2010 - The Plane Tree/Mominette
« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2010, 12:19:12 AM »

Hello, I'm Gary Chapin and just discovered this happy placed, have lurked, and loved it.  What a great place this is.  Then I saw this thread, some nine months after everything seems settled. 

So, just to clear up the naming thing:  I discovered the tune in Mel Stevens second "Massif Central" tune book (the blue one, tune 12, first printing 1988).  In there, the tune's in D minor, and, in fact, I first learned it about eleven years ago on mandolin in D minor.  I recorded it on mandolin (very badly) and sent it to my teacher, Sylvain Piron (www.tradfrance.com) and he actually posted it on his website.  Then I learned it on melodeon (a G/C Corso) and also recorded it and sent it, and he posted it, this time with the title I'd given it (for my wife), "Scottish a Bethanie."  I was amazed, and a little tickled, to discover years later that this title had gotten some legs.  I had no idea of its original author or name -- those tune books with their archival photos and no credits, I really thought this was one of those folk community tunes.  It does sound ancient and wonderful

The echo Clive, above, cheers to Maxou for writing such a wonderful tune.  Thanks you all for this site.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Undine Hornby RIP announced
« Reply #189 on: July 02, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »

I have to pass on that Undine Hornby is sadly no longer with us.
 A great writer of tunes, I only her briefly but I loved her melodies
 They won't be lost.  More on the Late Night Band Facebook page.
  _       _    _      _ 

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Re: Tune of the Month for March 2010 - The Plane Tree/Schottische a Bethanie
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2014, 09:29:37 AM »

OK, folks - here they are. 3 videos covering my version of Schottische a Bethanie and how I play it. Hope you find it useful:

Part 1: Fingering and Chords
Part 2: Schottische rhythms, ornamentations on treble and bass
Part 3: More ornamentation - held notes; held chords; pulsed basses

A little late to the party, only four and a half years, but just wanted to say thanks for these Clive, these videos are really helpful.  I've learned The Plane Tree a good while back but yesterday got asked if I knew Schottische a Bethanie.  I knew the two were closely related and only a few notes different but not much more and at first glance found the change in rhythm a bit daunting.  These tutorials have been of immense help in making the switch. 

I think I am about to get told off for playing too early on a Saturday morning, I think I need a Streb then  :|||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Tune of the Month for March 2010 - The Plane Tree/Mominette
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2014, 12:21:47 AM »

Thanks Helena - glad to have been of service! :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal