Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: playing goes to pot in public!!!  (Read 24761 times)

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
playing goes to pot in public!!!
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:21:07 AM »

I guess everyone has been here and done this and bought the T shirt, but I just wondered if anyone had any tips to get over what happened last night.
Ive practised and practised a really easy tune at home to the nth degree so I could play it at a local session - its perfect, with basses and everything.  Im really happy about how it sounds and my playing.  So on the night I make a complete mess of it, Im nervous, I cant remember the tune, I get the sequence mixed up  etc etc.  I throw my beloved Tommy on the floor (not literally!!!! Steve) have a paddy and say Im not doing it anymore!!!!  now I'm among friends, so they all just laugh and say it will get easier, but as I thought to myself, Ive been doing this learning thing for about 4 years now, its time I got it better in public.
Any tips to get over nervousness greatfully accepted!!!!  :-\
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: playing goes to pot in public!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:46:22 AM »

Hi Lin

I think we've all been there, I certainly have.  It does get better though.

Things I found helpful:

Get someone to listen to you play at home, that can put a surprising amount of pressure on even with the most supportive listener.  Then when you play out it not such a big step from playing alone.

At home play the same tune lots of times and try not to play it exactly the same each time,  just little variations eg playing long notes as two short ones, simplifying the tune by maybe just playing the first note of each bar, or just the notes on the main beats.  The point of this is to get away from just having one 'perfect' version that you have to remember. 

Find a playing buddy to practice with then play your tune together at the session

Enter a novices class at a competition.  It will be the most pressure you can play under.  It will probably go horribly wrong, but everything else will seem so relaxed and easy by comparison.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:54:58 AM »

I guess everyone has been here and done this and bought the T shirt, but I just wondered if anyone had any tips to get over what happened last night.
Ive practised and practised a really easy tune at home to the nth degree so I could play it at a local session - its perfect, with basses and everything.  Im really happy about how it sounds and my playing.  So on the night I make a complete mess of it, Im nervous, I cant remember the tune,  
Lin

Hi Lin

just a few random thought for what its worth

You don't say whether you were effectively playing a solo (as sometimes happens in a singaround/playaround type of happening) or whether in a session where somebody/everybody joins in)  In the join in stype of session the trick to get over nervousness is to pick tunes that you are absolutely sure a reasonbable number of others will join in, don't play to loud and if you are having a afit of nerves or just forget what comes next you can stop/ease off or whatever without anybody realising that they are following themselves rather than you!   you can then go in & out of the tune as necessary but in all probablility it wont be.

in a big(ish) session don't get into a musical fight if somebody with a loud instrument is effectively taking over, just let them get on with it & console yourself with the thought that is they who are lacking in good manners.

Another vital bit is to feel comfortable making a cock up - we all do it!  I was leading a very big session (about 150  players) at Sidmouth a few years ago - everybody was doing their stuff and at least a third were playing well -  exept me - I knew I was doing something badly wrong but it took quite a while before I realised that I was playing the melody in D but playing the bass to go with it in G - it sounded blody awful  but nobody realised exept me.

Doing a solo spot is  different  & nerves are the norm exept amongst the thick skinned !  If you lose it early on just stop - say oh dear or words to that effect & start again.  If you forget the B part  either repeat the A part or stick the A or B part of another tune on  as if that was what you intended doing.  If well into the tune don't stop but make a bit up on the hoof  with the right rhythm - you will probably get away with it.  

I find that either more or less closing my eyes or focusing on the far wall  helps inhindered concentration.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »

Yep, been there. Got the T Shirt. Go out and try again - your friends are right, it gets easier the more you do it, and before long you'll be wondering what the fuss is. The best way to practice playing in public is, like it or not, to play in public. Rather like the best way to be able to play while drunk is to practice when you're drunk! We sometimes forget that everyone else at a session is so engrossed in their own performance that they've just done/are about to do that they won't care in the slightest if you make a mistake or stop in the middle of a tune, so don't worry about what people think... because 5 minutes later, they've forgotten!

Cheers,

Clive

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 11:25:54 AM »

Sometimes we worry more than the people who listen to us and even though we know we went wrong in a tune the listeners may have not noticed! I often start a tune and play the B part of another by mistake and then come back to the A and no one complain.

Don't be too hard on yourself, and most of all, enjoy playing!
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:26:32 AM »

yep -- all good advice which I will try to act on -- thanks  ;D

George   the session is one where each person takes the lead, in turn around the room, so everyone gets the chance to play a tune they know (thats if they can remember it ha ha ), and everyone else joins in too, but the lead person is recognised as that and no takes over - theyre a great bunch of guys and have let me play right from the beginning of my career!  it was me who got upset with myself for getting it wrong AGAIN, but of course you are quite right Clive, I accept that people are more concerned with how they themselves sound, thats why I myself wanted myself to get it right ha ha.

Theo, you have touched a nerve there  ;)  I am currently thinking that my playing is very "samey", cos Im so busy learning all those dratted tunes I just play them the same way 3 times through, which must be boring for the listener, so my homework will be to try to vary things slightly
thanks again one and all
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »

As has been mentioned you just have to keep doing it but everyone else there will have been through it and should understand. It is though most alarming just how difficult it can be to play in public at first. When I encountered this and having decided not to just give up I adopted the ten to one rule that if I could play a tune through ten times at home with out getting it wrong I could get through it in public. One part of this is relaxing, one of the early problems I had was my left arm would lock up and trying to play for longer periods at home helped this.
aka malodeon

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 01:40:09 PM »

Hi Lin, I think everyone else has covered all the bases, but just to add that from my personal experience, playing at home with people interrupting is absolutely the best practise without actually being in public. I try not to only practise when there isn't anybody around these days, as then you are used to other people hearing mistakes and just being able to carry on (it's the carrying on and catching the tune again that I always find hard!). I still do get terrified of playing in public, but I do believe that's fairly normal :D

Matthew B

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »

There's a list of things that can, and therefore do, go wrong, and I suppose its a right of passage to endure them all (usually repeatedly).  The list includes, but is not limited to:

forgetting the tune (all of it, part of it, its name, the words)
playing the tune in the "wrong" key
playing the tune at the "wrong" speed
changing waltzes to jigs, or reels to mazurkas, or whatever
experiencing a major instrument malfunction (broken shoulder straps and stuck keys produce the most hilarious results)
punching a fellow musician with over-vigorous bellows work (the strength of the punch is directly correlated to the fragility and value of the other person's instrument)
stopping or starting, or not stopping or starting when everyone else does
experiencing a major wardrobe malfunction (belt failure, flies undone, etc)

A few things I've found very helpful over the years in developing some appearance of calm when coping with these things:
1.  Playing background music for some other event: it's public (and sometimes you get paid!), but you're not "on stage"
2.  Playing for dancers: they just carry themselves along, and mistakes get washed away in the energy of the moment, just keep that right foot tapping out the time.
3.  Organize your own session in your kitchen with a few beers and a couple of friends, and then bring those same folks to your public session. 
4.  Busking.
5.  And best of all: playing for kids.  If you ever need any affirmation at all about your music, go play a set for a local primary school class.  There's no money in it, and no glory, but it is such fun, and they will love you, mistakes and all.  And if your instrument breaks, or your pants fall down in the middle, they'll just love you more. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »

buuuuuut ......  dont Primary Schools have those horrible things called ....... children.  I dont really have to play to them, do I?????   what a shock!!  do they hurt????
Im definately giving up music now   LOL
 ::)Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:30:12 PM »

I'd echo Matthew's suggestion to play for children.   They will be fascinated.  Many children nowadays have never been in the same room as an actual person playing a musical instrument, apart perhaps from a piano to accompany singing.  Even fewer have ever seen any kind of squeezebox.  Even cynical teenagers can be stimulated to take notice.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »

Kids also like to dance! Show them a few steps, then play a tune and they will all enjoy.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

trombonetom

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »

Some Cynical teenagers actually play squeezeboxes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 05:29:17 PM »

Just goes to show what might happen when any of us play to your contemporaries. :D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Matthew B

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »

I beg to differ: any teenager playing any musical instrument is, by definition, exceptional.  And if playing a squeezebox, truly exceptional.  But you probably knew that already.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Hello

• Regular debater
  • mmm
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »

Wise words indeed from the masses.

Personally I don't like playarounds, where a group takes it in turn to play or sing something. I've found that sitting there while x other people do their bit and then having to suddenly do something induces a sort of fatigue that is very difficult to overcome and hence increases the probability of a cockup compared to performing a medley. Also if you start your tune and cock it up then the host of the playaround swiftly moves on to the next person so you've no chance to redeem yourself. You then wait for the x other people and so continues the vicious circle.

Ultimately though it's down to practice. Play in public as much as possible. Go to live gigs and watch professionals cock it up and see how they deal with it. In some ways, the cockups, provided they aren't terminal, add character to a performance that you don't get in todays sterile but perfect electronic world.

The most nervewracking thing is recording where your cockups can be played over and over again.
Trying is the first step towards failing

Folkiekay

• Good talker
  • Hyde Texas Rose
    • Street Squeeze
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

Howdy,

Finally a topic I understand and can talk about with a bit of knowledge.  I was the same way when I started to play - and figured out my own way to go about getting over playing in front of people.  When I started out, I was only going to play for myself, but as time went on, I realized that I didn't only want to play just for me my whole life.

I started out by calling up my friends and asking if I could go to their houses and play for them.  They were all kind about it and invited me over.  I remember one friend saying to me..."are you wanting that tune to go fast and slow, fast and slow?"  Well - obviously I was not very good and couldn't play the tune in a normal 3/4 manner.  It took awhile, but I kept playing for people.  It even got to the point that I would play for strangers who came to my door just to play for someone. 

The most important thing to remember is that nobody really cares if you mess up a tune.  In 50 years nobody is going to be talking about it. Or even next month.  People who hear you obviously would like to hear you play well, but nobody is going to hold it against you if you don't. 

The next important thing to do when you make a mistake - smile.......  Don't frown or grimace.  It lightens up an awkward moment. :o

Another bit of advice is to become a busking street musician.  Most people are just passing by and not staying to watch and listen, and as time goes on it gets much easier and you will screw up fewer times, and even if you do mess up a tune, it doesn't really matter in the big scope of life.

I'm giving a workshop this coming week at the National Accordion Convention on this very subject!!

Kind regards,
Kay

TomB-R

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »

Lots of good advice already in this thread. I'd just add that I reckon playing in your local session can be one of the highest pressure situations there is.  In the past I've found it more nervous-making than playing solo (admittedly for dancers) on a Festival stage.

Playing at a "strange" session where you don't know anyone is less pressure.
Playing in a concert situation is less pressure (possibly because you know they've "got" to listen to you.)

Having said all that, I reckon playing one to one in a lesson with a professional player (not professional teacher) is toughest of all!

I guess my point is just to suggest that "your friendly neighbourhood session" is actually a bigger challenge than it seems, but as others have said accumulating "mileage in public" makes all the difference.

YMMV, of course!
Tom

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 05:27:41 AM »

Paul, who used to play guitar to my banjo in a folk duo a long time ago, used to do 'Freight Train' "As taught to me by Elizabeth Cotton". He would then proceed to play a terrible version by playing a fret out, remarking deadpan at the end, "Of course she was pissed at the time." This was before Les Dawson's piano efforts, maybe he should sue the estate for intellectual theft.

Prepare a really terrible version of something, deliver it deadpan, funny remark at the end and nobody will be able to tell whether it is meant to be serious or not.
Old Bill.
My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 08:29:54 AM »

Ive practised and practised a really easy tune at home to the nth degree so I could play it at a local session - its perfect, with basses and everything.  Im really happy about how it sounds and my playing.  So on the night I make a complete mess of it, Im nervous, I cant remember the tune, I get the sequence mixed up  etc etc.  I throw my beloved Tommy on the floor (not literally!!!! Steve) have a paddy and say Im not doing it anymore!!!!  now I'm among friends, so they all just laugh and say it will get easier, but as I thought to myself, Ive been doing this learning thing for about 4 years now, its time I got it better in public.
Any tips to get over nervousness greatfully accepted!!!!  :-\
Lin
Lin,

There's been lots of good advice already, so I don't have much more to add. Don't give up. Do it again (and again, and again...). Glad you haven't thrown the Tommy on the floor. ;)

I do agree with the view that the 'round the room' type of session is not the easiest. I like the 'just jump in and start a tune' type session best. Although at  first it might be thought of as a recipe for one or two people dominating the session, in practice (at least in the sessions I go to) most people are polite enough to see that everyone who wants to gets a chance at starting tunes.

I also like the suggestion of a 'playing buddy'; someone to work up a few tunes with and play together at a session. Happy to oblige :)

Finally, I think you are being too hard on yourself. I've heard you play in sessions several times and you are FINE! Just because you may have crumbled this one time doesn't signal the end of the world. Forget it - just let it go; next time you will be fine.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal