Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Octave reed problem  (Read 2412 times)

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
Low Octave reed problem
« on: March 08, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a recent problem I have had with one of the low octave reeds on the treble end of my Hascy?
A few days ago one of the low octave reeds didn't sound when I engaged it.  I took the treble end off and removed the reed box and when I blew gently into the offending hole nothing happened. I lifted the leather and plastic flap and it all seemed to be the same as the others.
After fiddling about for a short while it started to work again so I put it back together and it all seems fine now.
However, I didn't discover the cause of the problem and would appreciate any suggestions as to what it may have been.
Thanks

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Low Octave reed problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »

Probably some sort of airborne foreign body had lodged between the reed and its slot.  Your fiddling about has cleared it.  It's a common problem, though more common on higher pitched reeds just because their small size makes them easier to obstruct. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »

Thanks Theo.
I hope that is the case. It would be disturbing if it happened at a gig. 

rosenun

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 03:29:55 AM »

By the way, not a good idea to blow onto a reed as it will form a film of condensation on the reed possibly causing corrosion.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »

By the way, not a good idea to blow onto a reed as it will form a film of condensation on the reed possibly causing corrosion.

In theory I agree, but in practice it would only happen if the instruments was very cold and you were working in a very cold environment so that condensation could form and remain on the reed for a significant period of time.  In practice it should not be a problem if you are working at a comfortable room temperature.

On the other hand a more effective way of clearing a stuck reed is to use a fine screwdriver, or something similar, to gently move the reed up and down in its slot.  Then check if it is working by blowing the reedblock like a harmonica.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal