Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sudoku tunes  (Read 2553 times)

strad

• Respected Sage
Sudoku tunes
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »

In my copious spare time I sometimes write tunes, usually starting by noodling around on whatever instrument is to hand. Then I had a thought (second this year). I use sudoku puzzles to send me off to sleep each night (sad git, I hear you say) and I had the idea that if you number the notes of a scale from 1 to 9 what sort of tune would appear. I know that there are only 7 different notes so two notes appear twice. So, in G it will be from G to A an octave up. Most of what I've tried so far has been rubbish but some interesting melodies are appearing. There is some leeway in that the length of the note can vary. It also has the benefit of keeping the tune compact and within most peoples singing range. Could tunes written this way even find a home in Theme for the month? Anyone fancy trying to write a tune this way?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Sudoku tunes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 03:43:32 PM »

Good idea,  what about the rhythm though, as in pattern of note lengths rather than underlying meter?    You could allocate the 2 extra numbers to modifying the length of an adjacent note.

I'm very conscious that the pattern of note lengths is a more significant part of a tune than the sequences of pitches.  If you don't believe it try this simple experiment.  You need a helper to do do this.

1 Choose a well known tune that your assistant is likely to know.   Now play all the notes in the correct order, with all notes approximately the same length, but with some random variation so there is no obvious rhythm.   Ask your assistant if they recognise it.

2 Tap out the rhythm of the tune with no notes, now can they recognise it.

You may have to repeat this a few times to get a clear picture.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »

Eh? I haven't got a clue what this is all about. ???

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »

Sounds like an approach similar to 12-tone music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-tone_technique

Also, bell ringers have many traditional 'changes' for ringing their bells in precise mathematical patterns, which results in the music we know emanating from many a church tower. (I believe it is a British and US tradition only).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »

Germans and Dutch also play bells - but it's Carillion - ie real tunes. I also heard some in Poland.

What surprises me is that English country dancing in also so much an exercise in complex permutation and Set Theory. Though to be fair .. over the years I've also really enjoyed walking through every dance for 10 minutes .. to then dance it for five  ???

Eh? I haven't got a clue what this is all about. ???

..listen in then  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:22:04 PM »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:32:57 PM by michik »
Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal