Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help on Onmvoice please  (Read 6710 times)

tiny

Help on Onmvoice please
« on: March 09, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »

Please help if you can.  I have uploaded onto my mac in MP3 format 2.5 mb Scottische a Bethanie, I have the file on my desktop and in I Tunes. I have an account on ONMVOICE I can get into  Browse and find my my file but when I click upload it just keeps loading and never does anything else. What am I doing wrong?  Help
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
Re: Help on Onmvoice please
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »

..............but when I click upload it just keeps loading and never does anything else......

Upload speed depends on your Internet service provider, connection, and your computer. How long have you left it 'loading'?........ ::)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »

Please help if you can.  I have uploaded onto my mac in MP3 format 2.5 mb Scottische a Bethanie, I have the file on my desktop and in I Tunes. I have an account on ONMVOICE I can get into  Browse and find my my file but when I click upload it just keeps loading and never does anything else. What am I doing wrong?  Help
I had exactly this problem.  At the time I was using Safari as my web-browser, and it just hung. I don't think Safari and Onmvoice interact very well together. I switched to Firefox to upload the mp3 file and hey presto! a 6-minute long sound file loaded within about a minute, using BT broadband.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »

If it's any help, my elderly Emac is a bit light on memory, so I tried the Opera browser, which seems to cope better with low memory levels than either Safari or Firefox.

Might be worth a download - it,s free.

John

tiny

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »

OK Thanks everyone. I have Firefox and BT Broadband and have left it running for 5mins, but I have just checked my upload speed and it is 0.4mb........so maybe that is the problem. I shall leave it to run longer.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »

OK Thanks everyone. I have Firefox and BT Broadband and have left it running for 5mins, but I have just checked my upload speed and it is 0.4mb........so maybe that is the problem. I shall leave it to run longer.
Hmmm.... my upload speeds are typically around 0.4 Mb/s.

Test - Using Firefox, I just uploaded this 5 Mb file to Onmvoice. It took 2 minutes at a quoted upload speed of 0.37 Mb/s.

What sort of Mac are you running? Mine is a MacPro 2x2.66 GHz dual processor, with 1 Gb RAM so I guess it is fairly fast. Do you have any problems uploading other material - e.g. photos to Flickr or Photobucket, etc.?

My BT Broadband is notoriously variable in its speed/performance. In mid-afternoon or early evening it is much slower. I suggest you try uploading files either late at night (after midnight) or else first thing in the morning (before 7:30 am).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

tiny

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »

Steve I have not really tried to upload photos, only to FB and that was fine. I left it uploading for 50mins last night and still nothing. I have the middle range mac not a pro next one down. Looks as though I shall have to wait for a teenager to come home and help me, 3 weeks to go!  Meanwhile I shall keep trying.

By the way does your mac have an indicator line that fills up when loading?

Lizzy

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »

Steve I have not really tried to upload photos, only to FB and that was fine. I left it uploading for 50mins last night and still nothing. I have the middle range mac not a pro next one down. Looks as though I shall have to wait for a teenager to come home and help me, 3 weeks to go!  Meanwhile I shall keep trying.
Should be OK with your Mac. It should not take more than 2 - 5 mins. Something is definitely wrong somewhere.
Check that your version of Firefox is the latest (v 3.6) and if not get an update from Mozilla. Are you using a wireless connection from your Mac to your router? I sometimes find that a big upload or download breaks the connection if I try to do it when the signal is weak. If you have an ethernet cable you could try connecting directly to your router with that.

By the way does your mac have an indicator line that fills up when loading?
Only when playing a previously uploaded tune.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »

Lizzy

If you've got to wait 3 weeks for 'tech support' to come home, it really might be worth giving the Opera browser a try.

I've only got 640 Mb of RAM on my Emac, which sometimes is barely enough for Firefox, and makes it run quite slowly.

I've had a similar problem to yours when trying to upload a file using Firefox, and it worked fine on Opera.

If you can let me know what version of the Mac OS you're using, I'll try and post you a link to the appropriate Opera download (I'm using an old-ish OS, so can't use the very latest Opera or Firefox versions, apparently).

John

tiny

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »

Should be OK with your Mac. It should not take more than 2 - 5 mins. Something is definitely wrong somewhere.
Check that your version of Firefox is the latest (v 3.6) and if not get an update from Mozilla. Are you using a wireless connection from your Mac to your router? I sometimes find that a big upload or download breaks the connection if I try to do it when the signal is weak. If you have an ethernet cable you could try connecting directly to your router with that.

Steve I am trying to upload using wireless connection so I shall try an ethernet cable which I do have somewhere! Thank you.

tiny

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »

Lizzy

If you've got to wait 3 weeks for 'tech support' to come home, it really might be worth giving the Opera browser a try.

I've only got 640 Mb of RAM on my Emac, which sometimes is barely enough for Firefox, and makes it run quite slowly.

I've had a similar problem to yours when trying to upload a file using Firefox, and it worked fine on Opera.

If you can let me know what version of the Mac OS you're using, I'll try and post you a link to the appropriate Opera download (I'm using an old-ish OS, so can't use the very latest Opera or Firefox versions, apparently).

John

John,
Sorry forgot to put my answer. 

I run an mac os x 10.5 ( leopard)  so my son tells me hehe.  thanks for the help
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:41:19 PM by tiny »

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »

I run an mac os x 10.5 ( leopard)  so my son tells me hehe.  thanks for the help

With that OS, you shouldn't have any problems with Firefox, but here's the link to a download page for Opera:
http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?os=mac&ver=10.10&local=y

You might get an improvement by using an ethernet connection, but even with that, I sometimes find it helps to turn off the router for a few seconds and then start it up again.

Also, connection speeds will vary according to how many other people are trying to use broadband at the same time in your local area. I don't know what time of day you're trying access Onmvoice, but uploads could well be faster at off-peak hours (eg when the kids are all at school).

Best of luck with it

John

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »

With Onmvoice it doesn't have to do with internet speed. I also had better luck with another browser. I'm having another problem with onmvoice, it keeps saying that all tunes recorded with the Zoom are not mp3 files, or really it says that "the file you upload has to be in mp3 format" or anything like that. But if I record with Audacity or Garage Band it works fine. Weird stuff...

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »

Suzi, I usually record on the Zoom in .wav format then top and tail the file in Audacity and export from there as an mp3, that seems to work properly with Onmvoice.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »

It's probably time to update this thread, since Onmvoice has stopped operating now in case anyone finds it by search. With Onmvoice's untimely demise (URL has been bought by Voice of Persia), many people now use Soundcloud.com to upload audio files, so you can try there instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal