Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MELODEON ACQUISITION DELIGHT  (Read 3181 times)

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
MELODEON ACQUISITION DELIGHT
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:17:30 AM »

Another Hohner "Pokerwork" 2-row G/C joined the family this afternoon.

The bellows is in great shape. The gold inlay looks pretty good. One note doesn't sound in one direction and a couple notes sound slightly out of tune. The thumb strap is missing, but someone installed a makeshift strap on the other side. The buttons are in good shape, but it looks like it was played quite hard because some of the wood is missing in the center of the treble button board.

I had a job to do two hours away from home base. I finished the job two hours before normal quitting time, so there was no point in hurrying home. I stopped at an antique store to have a look around and found this orphan.

It was a beautiful day, so I stopped at a lakefront park. I attached a temporary shoulder strap to the Hohner using existing screws and started to play.

A mother with two children stopped to listen. The kids couldn't decide if I was a leprechan or Santa Claus. I have a grey beard and always wear my green Tyroleon Alps hat. They were all dressed in green for Saint Patrick's Day.

The kids of course had to give the accordion a try. I mentioned the little Hero 7-button accordions available at toy stores.

On Sunday I just missed buying a German Lyra 1-row. The seller knows that I play, so he pointed it out to me. I picked it up to try it. I played a few notes and immediately noticed that it had steel reeds. A 35 year old gentleman quickly informed that he was in the process of buying the box.

He had heard someone play a 1-row instrument at a local bar and he got bit by the melodeon bug. He knew nothing about accordions but was extremely enthusiastic. We talked for quite a while. I showed him different things about playing and how to make repairs.
It was a delight to see that someone was going to fix up an orphan box and enjoy learning to play it rather than flipping it on e-Bay.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
Re: MELODEON ACQUISITION DELIGHT
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »

I opened up the box yesterday. It has "T" reeds and plastic valves. 6 valves had fallen off inside the reed blocks. I was able to find 5 of the valves in various locations inside the box. 1 is missing so I will have to improvise a replacement. Some of the reed plates are lose and vibrating, so they will need o be re-waxed. There is some light surface rust on some of the reeds. I think with a little work I can get the box sounding good.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »

If some valves hav droppped off it's likely the glue is loosing it's hold on other valves,  so when the reeds are off for rewaxing it's well worth the small extra effort of taking all the valves off and re-gluing them, or fitting new.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 12:33:08 AM »

Theo, That sounds like a good idea.

It appears that at sometime in its history, water leaked into the holes of several notes, perhaps softening the glue.

Some of the valves were stuck shut perhaps indicating that some of the glue had migrated.

All of the notes work now, but some of the reed plates are vibrating due to loss of wax.

When I get some spare time, I will fix her up.

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »

Good work and good luck, Dave!  It sounds as if you have a find there.  But unfortunately, the words "reed rust", "missing wax", "sounding good", and "a little work" rarely fit together in the same sentence.
BH NC USA
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:23:03 AM »

I hope to get some spare time to do some restoration.

Everytime I think that I have some time to myself, the cellulite phone chirps at me.

It sucks and blows to be on call 24/7.

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:57:18 AM »

It sucks and blows to be on call 24/7.

Well...better than idling away your time sitting around playing with squeexeboxes.. :|glug
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:00:09 AM by catty »

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 03:35:19 AM »

I could be restoring the Hohner now but it seems too much like WORK after getting called into work yesterday and working 12 hours today.

Drinking beer and listening to Czech records whilst I type seems relaxing at this point.

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 04:18:59 AM »

I've had a job or two where I was on call.  And, yes, it is demanding.  You have my condolences, Dave.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal