Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Left hand supporting the box ... & slipping  (Read 7455 times)

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
Re: Left hand supporting the box ... & slipping
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »

I've always had slipping problems, making it harder to reach lower bass buttons and the inside row of my 18 bass box.  I'd always thought I needed a tighter strap or even a second strap around the wrist.

Prompted by this thread I've actually lossened the bass end strap.  Result is acutally less slipping and better control.  Additional benefit is that my left arm feels more comfortable and doesn't tire as quickly.  Counter-intuitive, but its made a difference to me.
Nick

MadDogMurdock

• Good talker
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »

This is likely not the proper thread, but it's a start.  My problem is not one of slippage. 

When I play for any length of time (30 minutes or more), my left forearm develops a rather deep and agitated groove where the rear edge of my box seems to be putting pressure.  I've experimented with various ways of holding the instrument (right leg, left leg, different angles, strap lengths, etc) and haven't found a satisfactory solution.  I've taken to wrapping a bit of cloth around my arm and have just commissioned a leather worker to create what looks very much like a blacksmith cuff for my left forearm to protect not only the skin, but the underlying tendons and muscles. 

Has anyone else noticed this?  I play an old Erika (Club II) primarily, but the pokerwork I fiddle about with does not cause this problem.  Do you suppose it is merely a matter of instrument fit?  Can anyone recommend any tips or techniques I may not have tried?  I hope the leather cuff will prevent the damage, but I'm just curious what it is about my instrument/playing that causes this in the first place. 

Pete The Squeeze

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »

My 'solution' has been to get a pair of seat belt protectors from Halfords (Auto accessory store for non Brits).
 they wrap round the base strap and provide a bit of padding and some grip. I use them on one row's (folded to length) and the double ray. They can also be removed in seconds and transferred to other boxes....2 for about a Fiver...bargain
     Pete
B/C Double ray
D/G pokerwork
and More

LDbosca

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 11:50:06 PM »

This is likely not the proper thread, but it's a start.  My problem is not one of slippage. 

When I play for any length of time (30 minutes or more), my left forearm develops a rather deep and agitated groove where the rear edge of my box seems to be putting pressure.  I've experimented with various ways of holding the instrument (right leg, left leg, different angles, strap lengths, etc) and haven't found a satisfactory solution.  I've taken to wrapping a bit of cloth around my arm and have just commissioned a leather worker to create what looks very much like a blacksmith cuff for my left forearm to protect not only the skin, but the underlying tendons and muscles. 

Has anyone else noticed this?  I play an old Erika (Club II) primarily, but the pokerwork I fiddle about with does not cause this problem.  Do you suppose it is merely a matter of instrument fit?  Can anyone recommend any tips or techniques I may not have tried?  I hope the leather cuff will prevent the damage, but I'm just curious what it is about my instrument/playing that causes this in the first place. 

I've got an area of thick skin from that on my arm, I just try and keep my left wrist lose so it's not too bad. Some people use sponge.

Luke.

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 09:16:18 AM »

I've got an area of thick skin from that on my arm, I just try and keep my left wrist lose so it's not too bad. Some people use sponge.

Luke.
When I first started I played a pokerwork all the time, and developed a little hard ridge like this on my arm.
These type of boxes do have quite sharp corners. It disappeared when I moved on to Castagnaris etc, which tend to have nicely rounded corners on them. When I picked up my pokerwork after not playing it for a long time it was quite uncomfortable.
So, it's probably something you get used to, but if not, then wearing something round your wrist is a good idea. I've also seen people with bits of sponge stuck over the corner of their boxes, but it looks very untidy.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 01:25:19 PM »

Just a thought, but maybe your elbow position is too close to your body? I seem to use the wrist area for squeezing the bellows in, rather than further up my forearm, and so the edge of the box doesn't tend to dig in. Could you be pressing the back of your left hand/wrist against the strap by pivoting your arm on that edge? Also, it's difficult not to tense up when playing (especially while banging bellows in and out), but the more tension you can avoid, the easier it gets. BLT.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:11:33 PM by TonyRussell »
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

george garside

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »

when I used to play a pokerwork for morris I used a  strip of foam padding about an inch wide folded on the sharp  corner  held on with black gaffer tape. It only needs a fairly thin bit of foam to maake a difference and if done carefully needn't look that untidy.   having said that an erica makes far more sense as far as comfort for long periods of playing is concerned.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

MadDogMurdock

• Good talker
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 11:10:41 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts all.  I'll move ahead with the leather cuff for now and keep saving for a new box with a better fit.  I happened to ask John Nolan last night about this very problem and after playing my box he agreed it was the sharp edge combined with a bass strap that needs to be tightened slightly (which leads to the problem Tony discussed). 

That said, he rolled up his cuff and showed me the callous on his forearm.  Seems inevitable. 

george garside

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »

there are probably quite a few of us who have drawn blood playing pokerworks for long periods- thankfully though never a 'whole armful' as the comedian tony hancock used to say in his sketch 'the blood doner'

george ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal