Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning thoughts!!  (Read 12561 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: Learning thoughts!!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 08:53:38 AM »

Mmm, passing note. Very proper term that. Have you been hiding some knowledge of formal music theory from us then Derek?  >:E
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »

Oh my. Even DTN has more work to do.
This musical journey really never ends does it?!
Good show!
 ;D  :||:

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »

A metronome or a drum machine are also useful tools.  I'm currently using "Hammerhead" (free download) to create a drum track which I can then alter the speed of.  Whilst I accept that down the road I'll probably play in a freer manner, the discipline of making sure that I can actually play ALL the passages at the same speed is a good one.

The download is here http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/introduction.shtml.  I've also downloaded the acoustic set and native instrument voices (disco drums and trad don't wotk that well  (:)) and made a set of basic tracks for the different time signatures.  You can write up to eight bar blocks in common time, for other time signatures you play with the number of bars and speeds but I now a library which includes 6/8 jig, 6/8 march, 9/8, 12/8 and 3/4 plus 4/4 for reels and another for hornpipes. I also have a couple which I've made for specitic tunes like "Harvest Home" good fun!

Steve

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 02:37:26 AM »

Practising outdoors on the front step, busy street, 25 degrees today, so everyone was out. I had forgotten how beneficial that kind of practising is. Not a bar crowd that never listens, not a concert crowd that listens too much, not a dance crowd that wants a faster tempo but a wandering audience with open ears that might stop and listen if they like it. The best playing I have done in some weeks. Given I practise every day and I play in a session at least every couple of weeks, I think the result was revealing.
Go out young--or old--melodeon.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en RĂ©

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 04:55:45 PM »

The more I learn, the more I realise there is to learn. That is really exciting but I get a bit confused as to whether I should focus on the one point or practise a range of things all the time. (eg rhythm, ornamentation, scales, clarity of notes etc). I tend to just do what I feel like doing at the time but should possibly be disciplined a bit more.

I find one of the best ways to learn is to play alongside other musicians who are better than me. If you are already an excellent player, that won't be easy to achieve, but somehow I seem to manage it quite often. ;D

One of the best workshops I've ever been to was with John Kirkpatrick, who advised us to practise a new piece slowly and staccato. That way you really hear what each stroke of the button is doing, rather than masking your mistakes with other noise.

On the other hand, there are times I think, "Hey, lighten up, I'm doing this for fun!" and I just play whatever and however I feel like playing. There are times when it's better not to be too analytical.
Marje

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »

One of the best workshops I've ever been to was with John Kirkpatrick, who advised us to practise a new piece slowly and staccato. That way you really hear what each stroke of the button is doing, rather than masking your mistakes with other noise.

On the other hand, there are times I think, "Hey, lighten up, I'm doing this for fun!"

Hi Marje. About time you showed up here and I'm looking forward to your words of wisdom (if you're the Marje I think you are...)

Actually that kind of practice can produce such startling results that it is fun. It can sometimes produce a transition from not being able to play something to having it fly out of the box so effortlessly you can't believe you've just done it, in about half an hour's work. Good advice from JK.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »

Hi Marje. About time you showed up here and I'm looking forward to your words of wisdom (if you're the Marje I think you are...)

Hi Anahata (You've got to be the only one with that name!) Dunno about words of wisdom, I'm here very much to learn, although I was able there to pass on the wise words of JK. I've occasionally lurked here but never got round to registering until now. It seems a nice friendly place to share tunes, opinions and so on, so now that I've abandoned the boring uk.music.folk I look forward to whiling away a bit of time here instead.

Marje
Marje

stevejay

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 09:22:50 PM »

I like finding my own path.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »

I like finding my own path.

So do I but you can't help picking things up from other players that you then incorporate into your own unique style It's also nice when something you do is picked up by someone else and comes back to you developed into something slightly different. I used to nick songs from a friend of mine who was a far better guitarist and songwriter than me (proper flash to be honest), I had to do many a work around on the complex bits that I couldn't quite manage and he was often delighted with the resulting rearrangement.

Musical osmosis is a wonderful thing.  :D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:22 AM »

well I've hit a plateau. :(

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »

It won't last  (:)

Sometimes the benefit from practising doesn't show up immediately, then you come back a few days later and everything's improved as if by magic.
And sometimes you develop your critical listening faculties, which is a good thing but it has the side-effect that you're the only one in the world who doesn't think you've got any better...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 12:22:50 PM »

I thought that a few years ago and then abruptly realised that in fact I had been steadily gaining competence all the time :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »

I thought that a few years ago and then abruptly realised that in fact I had been steadily gaining competence all the time :P
competence is not a word I'm associated with  ::)

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 02:19:32 PM »

competence is not a word I'm associated with  ::)

Stop desteeming yourself. Immediatly !

Put your instrument away for one week or so ... you will play more relaxed after such a break.

Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »

well I've hit a plateau.

Bet you haven't.
Your ability to play and your critical ability progress unevenly.  When your ability to play moves on faster than your critical ability you assess yourself as improving.  When your critical ability progresses faster than your playing ability you think you are going backwards. When both are progressing together you think you are hitting a plateau.  That is why any assessment you make of yourself is suspect.
Cheers
G

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »

Stop desteeming yourself.

brilliant new word. Can't wait for an opportunity to use it myself.

Did I something wrong ?
I'm not an English native speaker/writer ... for some words I need a dictionary  :|bl
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »

what about when you post recordings and no one comments does that mean that to the outside observer you haven't improved.

John C

• Regular debater
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 10:00:07 PM »

Hi Michik,
You absolutely did not do or say anything wrong!

Its very clear what you were saying its just not a word normally used in English.   Someone much more clever than me will probably explain this better but a person can build up their self esteem or can have their self esteem damaged or reduced.

To me what you said is very logical and clear and your contribution to this site is very positive.

John

Saltarelle Laurentide GCF, Saltarelle Cheviot ADG

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 08:26:35 AM »

Michik - you did great and invented a new word that we all understand immediately. We'll start using that from now on, just wait and see! English is full of invented words, Shakespeare invented thousands, so you're in good company  ;D BLT.
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 09:02:52 AM »

actually it should be "disesteem" (from a dictionary) ... was only a typo  ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal