Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for April 2010 - Battle of the Somme  (Read 60937 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Tune of the Month for April 2010 - Battle of the Somme
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »

Hmmm..had a go on the one row
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=18509
think some of the marching soldiers may have got lost in the mud in the middle bit. lol! ;)
Well done Sarah!
Thanks.

You're doing well on that Hohner one-row.
I think its coz I feel I can concentrate on the tune instead of worrying about the left hand all the time.

OI! Hands off my Tommy!

Chris Brimley

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2010, 09:48:57 AM »

I think its coz I feel I can concentrate on the tune instead of worrying about the left hand all the time.

I like your version, too - the relaxed LH style really shows through, and it sounds like an upbeat march, which I guess is the way it was originally written. 

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »

Really felt the tune should be left alone on this one but I wanted to experiment with texture and mood.
Recorded right hand separate to exaggerate the reverb on the tune but not on the drone. (Looking for a blurry/ghost effect!)
The stomp of the foot seemed more appropriate this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPPlL1kR2sE

Sandy
 (:)

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »

Really felt the tune should be left alone on this one but I wanted to experiment with texture and mood.
Recorded right hand separate to exaggerate the reverb on the tune but not on the drone. (Looking for a blurry/ghost effect!)

Sandy

Hey, that's pretty clever, not just because of the reverb, but also because the RH articulation doesn't affect the drone sound.  I started listening to it before reading your text and could tell there was something unusual about it straight away.  I'm not sure that I would have guessed what exactly you'd done, though, without being told.  Anyhow, I'm impressed.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

jb

• Respected Sage
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2010, 06:51:26 PM »

Sandy

sounds great. Lovely tempo and rhythm. I like some of your bass/chord choices, especially in the B section e.g. around 1:20-1:26. And the foot is doing a great job too. Is that on the bottom stair?
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »

Ah - I wondered how you managed to do that.
It certainly gets the effect, and enabled you to put some really snappy accents on the tune without disturbing the drone too.
Combined with the foot stomping, no doubt that' it's a march either. Nice one!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy. This really works. The blurry/ghost effect is very apparent!

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2010, 11:30:23 PM »

Thanks very much for the comments. I found this totm very tough.

JB, I tried to find a slight 'disjointedness'  in the B part without changing the style of the tune. As for the stomp, no bottom stair, just a floor made from an old squash court !

Cheers
Sandy

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »

Very atmospheric and imaginative it was too, Sandy. Great stuff! It's good to experiment like this.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2010, 08:12:20 AM »

I too listened to Sandy's interprettation without reading, and then found myself divided. Is separate tracking RH/LH cheating? Well it certainly wouldn't be if there were two musicians involved  - so why should it be with one? *Tho I still feel a niggle ...

The effect achieved - absolutely spellbinding! Most TOTM youtubes get just one listen, including the few I've put in. I've been looping this one. Sandy has put in exactly the right 'wrong chords' and moved the tune forwards by somehow elequently expressing that the Army involved is moving .. backwards. A true paradox in music.

[edit]  *Steve anwers this nicely below, and I certainly feel the end has justified the means here. Incidentally John K used mulit-tracked concerina for a classical piece on his first album. And said as much in his sleve notes.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:15:03 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2010, 08:23:10 AM »

I too listened to Sandy's interprettation without reading, and then found myself divided. Is separate tracking RH/LH cheating? Well it certainly wouldn't be if there were two musicians involved  - so why should it be with one? Tho I still feel a niggle ...
Good question, definitely worth raising.
I have used multi-tracking in some of my TOTM submissions, mostly because there's only one of me (thank goodness, you all say  ;D) and yet I like the sound of multiple melodeons with different voices. I think a couple of other people have used multi-tracking too. In my opinion it is not cheating, so long as the use of such a technique is clearly stated, and that there is no intention to deceive. Used properly, it is all part of the creative process.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »

Nice work, everyone! I especially liked Graham's version, I just love that bass drone, and playing it a bit faster with that bass really makes it sound cool.
I haven't started yet, I'm very stressed and quite unwell, but will try to work on it...could be a good way to relax.

johnm3487

• johnm3487
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »

Sandy thought that was spot on. Can picture the retreat march through the mists of time

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2010, 10:19:16 AM »

I too listened to Sandy's interpretation without reading, and then found myself divided. Is separate tracking RH/LH cheating? Well it certainly wouldn't be if there were two musicians involved  - so why should it be with one? Tho I still feel a niggle ...
Good question, definitely worth raising.
I have used multi-tracking in some of my TOTM submissions, mostly because there's only one of me (thank goodness, you all say  ;D) and yet I like the sound of multiple melodeons with different voices. I think a couple of other people have used multi-tracking too. In my opinion it is not cheating, so long as the use of such a technique is clearly stated, and that there is no intention to deceive. Used properly, it is all part of the creative process.

It is the first time that I have multi tracked anything for TOTM. Initially I thought of an arrangement for two melodeons. One just playing the slightly blurry tune and the other with drone and simple rh chording. I opted to drop the RH chords as it was too busy and I preferred the 'empty space' feel between the two. Second time through, I added a third melodeon or layer playing the tune in unison. Kept the voices exactly the same for a feeling of uniformity.

I too had a sort of niggle and did so first time I ever put reverb on a recording. Steve's answer has put my mind at ease.  :Ph

Just out of interest, The basses for the A part (second time through) involved a subtle chord pattern using all four fingers. (Andy Cutting would be proud  :D) on the G and D basses and Dpull and A basses. Wanted a marching effect but had to keep it fairly smooth otherwise it sounded like a didgeridoo !! (not that I have a problem with didgeridoos, just wasn't the effect I was looking for :|||:)

cheers
Sandy

nemethmik

« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2010, 01:07:46 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9SFtEXHK20
from a beginner on a Hohner Club Victoria Bb/Eb.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:37:09 PM by Miklos Nemeth »

tiny

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »

think some of the marching soldiers may have got lost in the mud in the middle bit. lol! ;)

Like it..... nice playing (:)
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Kautilya

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2010, 12:36:58 AM »

Just out of interest, The basses for the A part (second time through) involved a subtle chord pattern using all four fingers. (Andy Cutting would be proud  :D) on the G and D basses and Dpull and A basses. Wanted a marching effect but had to keep it fairly smooth otherwise it sounded like a didgeridoo !! (not that I have a problem with didgeridoos, just wasn't the effect I was looking for :|||:)

cheers
Sandy
Whatever. ...
The fact is, that fearful deep drum-drone of death portrays how terrible it really was ; and the deathly swaylilt conjures up the coffins being carried and hints at  the terror and some of the awful canon fodder parts of Pink Floyd's The Wall). Superb to listen to and impossible not to  be moved.
tks. :( :(

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »

Like it..... nice playing (:)
thank you :D

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2010, 06:39:32 AM »

Readers may be interested in this bio of the composer, including a reprint of his obituary as published in the Oban Times in 1916. It also touches on the two spellings of his name.

http://www.pipetunes.ca/composers.asp?pg=Details&composerID=16

It is also possible to follow links to hear how his tune would be played by a piper. (The MP3 sample is played on the practice chanter).

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2010, 11:07:39 AM »

Thought you might like to hear how one of the Great Scottish dance bands of the past played this tune.
 The band is Ian Powrie's with Ian on fiddle, Jimmy Blue on Shand Morino button box, Mickie Ainsworth on Morino PA, Pam Brough on piano, Dave Barclay on double bass and Arthur Easson on drums. Parlophone single 45-R 4784 released in 1961.

[[[ The editorial fountain pen removes a link to a recording which I *assume* is under copyright. Sorry about that - let me know if it isn't! Cheers, Clive ]]]

Ian
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:25:08 PM by Clive Williams »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal