Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for April 2010 - Battle of the Somme  (Read 60912 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Tune of the Month for April 2010 - Battle of the Somme
« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2010, 08:28:26 AM »

I'm a bit confused here...weren't we saying earlier (Anahata?) that this wasn't written by the famous Pipe Major, but by another - just an ordinary bloke - who just also happened to be called William Laurie?

I was quoting Jack Campin, but Jack's story has been refuted. It seems that Will/William Laurie/Lawrie are all different spellings for the same person's name, if I've understood correctly.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:40 AM »

I'm sorry I still haven't really participated in this thing.... too much stress here and last week i just hit the wall so I'm taking a break from my studies and will give myself melodeon and mandolin therapy  ;D. Enjoyed your videos though even if I couldn't find time or energy to even start with this tune myself.

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »

Here's my contribution for April - played on a Beltuna Sara B/C which was recently returned to me after I gave up on it early on to move to D/G. A lot more difficult to play BotS than I thought it would be. The timing is a bit out but I tried to get the boys marching!

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=19421

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2010, 12:00:01 AM »

The timing is a bit out but I tried to get the boys marching!

Nicely played, Neil - enjoyed the timing.

Diane

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2010, 12:01:47 AM »

Version of 'Battle of the Somme' played on an Eb/Bb Hohner Modell I:-

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=19497

Diane

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2010, 01:04:19 AM »

Another version of BotS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_EzX4kBp5w

- this time on a 1930s C/F Hohner Erika.

Diane

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »

Another version of BotS:

Diane

You have a very lively left hand, interesting to watch. Very nice sound. Love the big fat sound that comes from those little Hohners. I am looking forward to retuning my old Erika. BTW, cheery wallpaper!! ;D

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »

Another version of BotS:

Diane

You have a very lively left hand, interesting to watch. Very nice sound.

Is that because I managed to cut my right hand out of the video, J.W.? lol. No, seriously, this was my attempt at a more pared down left hand for this type of tune ie using longer notes, mainly on bass button only - so supposedly not as 'lively' IMO as my usual style, such as in Princess Royal or Speed the Plough, which are more akin to what I normally play.

Credit for internal refurb on this box goes to our Theo. This was one of the nicest one's I got from German eBay - not needing much external attention, and accompanied by a kindly note from the Seller (an antiques' dealer) plus a little packet of 'Gummi Bears' stuck to the top of the case! nice touch.

Wallpaper was choice of the 78 year old previous owner who lived here for 50 years until her death - and, yes, nice and bright and more liveable with than all the coloured blown vinyl I've removed... (though I do recall the man who came to build the bed saying that it wouldn't be his choice for a bedroom!).

Diane

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2010, 08:04:56 AM »

Here's my contribution for April - played on a Beltuna Sara B/C which was recently returned to me after I gave up on it early on to move to D/G. A lot more difficult to play BotS than I thought it would be. The timing is a bit out but I tried to get the boys marching!

I love this version Neil, great rhythm.
I don't get 'jigs'

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2010, 08:11:17 AM »

I've had another go at this tune. Not much improvement but at least I've managed a video this time.  (:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJUbqmvy6XA

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:56 AM »

Well done, Simon - nice one.

Diane

PS your description cites 2 melodeons, but there appear to be 2 more sitting back to back on the shelf behind you...or, is that some sort of optical illusion?

Simon

• Respected Sage
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2010, 11:31:55 AM »

Well done, Simon - nice one.

Diane

PS your description cites 2 melodeons, but there appear to be 2 more sitting back to back on the shelf behind you...or, is that some sort of optical illusion?
Thanks! The ones on the shelf are both CF Selli's, one for my wife.

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2010, 11:35:41 AM »

that was really great Simon. I'd decided to give up on this TOtM because it sounds awful with an Um Pah bass.I have a G/C are you playing in C or in G and could you give me i hint as to the drone Bass maybe I'll give it a go.

cheers Louise

Simon

• Respected Sage
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2010, 11:58:17 AM »

I have a G/C are you playing in C or in G and could you give me i hint as to the drone Bass maybe I'll give it a go.
It's in C with these chords I think:
Code: [Select]
|: C Am Am | F F C | F C C | C G7 G7 |
C Am Am | F F C | F C C | G7 C C :|
|: C G7 G7 | G7 C C | C/E F F | C G7 G7 |
C Am Am | F F C | F C C | G7 C C :|
You could shift the barlines around a bit  ;)
If you don't have the 'dutch modification' you should probably replace the G7's by G's (using the push-G instead of the pull-G).

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »

Another version of BotS:

Diane

I enjoyed both your performances Diane, but particularly love the C/F, there is something raw about the sound of it that gives the tune a sad/brave feel.
I don't get 'jigs'

NeilA

• Regular debater
    • youtube channel
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »

Another version of BotS:

Diane

I enjoyed both your performances Diane, but particularly love the C/F, there is something raw about the sound of it that gives the tune a sad/brave feel.

I agree. I think even played at a faster tempo, this tune can invoke a feeling of sadness and lost potential, especially when played on the pipes. To me, your C/F Erica version also hits the spot.

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »

I agree. I think even played at a faster tempo, this tune can invoke a feeling of sadness and lost potential, especially when played on the pipes.

Thanks Juker and Neil: I'd not found a TOTM use for this particular box before, and originally tried the C/F Preciosa - but found the sound too harsh (hence, more rationale for MAD - a melodeon for every moment!). As for the emotion invoked, I'd been wanting to try and explain my feelings re. this tune - but will continue in a separate Reply box, as my computer doesn't like more than a certain no. of lines in this box, and 'rolls' violently!

Diane

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »

I saw mention of Dave Swarbrick over on theSession, and perhaps first heard this tune as a slow lament, from him. Certainly, it was also wafting out across the muddy fields at Sidmouth last summer in similar form. Originally I made a slow recording - but backed up with a much faster one. which turned out to be very much akin to the speed advocated by Bill and Ian. Afterwards, I felt the faster version sounded so much more powerful - and deleted the slow one - which set me thinking...

In my work I get to see many poorly people - often with palliative conditions, in the last months, weeks, days of their lives. Invariably, what I see in them - and what I very much take away from the job - is not whining or mewling, but a strength, a determination, a courage (if you like) to stand up and fight against (what I know to be) the inevitable. OK, so this is often bolstered by a, perhaps necessary, large dose of denial (even if subconsciously they know but cannot afford to admit it). Lawrie was a young man - 35, married, 3 children...whilst I've never had the misfortune to be in his and others' position, I doubt that the human condition, when faced with extreme adversity, has changed much throughout time. I'm not a political person, so don't see nationalism or jingoism in Lawrie's response to his situation - only a human response, on an individual level. Am I to refuse to share a laugh and a joke with the hairless, the limbless, the breathless if the occasion arises - due to my own preconceived notions re. how awful their situation is, what a tragic and pointless waste of human life etc., etc. (which of course it is) so that we've all got to be solemn? would that help them? I think not - rather, I think that's the difference between empathy and genuineness, and sympathy (but I may be wrong, or have explained this badly).

Just my explanation as to why I chose a faster version - which I hope hasn't offended.

Diane
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:38:07 PM by theSmoiler »

NeilA

• Regular debater
    • youtube channel
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2010, 10:21:38 PM »

Diane - my view is that that someone in Lawrie's position would have looked at it in a similar way.

We now know a great deal about what happened on the Somme, and we look back in remembrance but at the time (and when the tune was written) it was maybe looked on by many soldiers as being another chapter of a very grim experience but better get on with it as best we can (jokes, rousing songs and all) and hopefully we can all go home soon.

Neil

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2010, 09:39:51 AM »

Very well put Diane. Thank you.

Ian
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal