Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for April 2010 - Your First Tune  (Read 13595 times)

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
Re: Theme of the Month for April 2010 - Your First Tune
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »

One thing I've thought of with the Castagnari, is how weak the sound gets when I try to use the air button while playing (when I need more air). I can easily do it with my D organetto, without anyone noticing, but if I do it with the Laura, the sound almost disappears. Maybe I should discuss that on a separate thread instead of hijacking this one  :-[

You are right, there should be a separate thread, but it's a good point to draw attention to the air button. It's as important to operate it correctly and with finesse as the note buttons, because it affects everything. And each box can be different in how the air button performs, and affects the volume, and how smoothly you can temper it.  
  Another method to not run out of air: when you have a long push phrase coming, take a large intake of air on during the pull, allowing the bellows to extend and stretching your arm way out there, so when you start on the push phrase, you have a big full volume of air to use. After all, it's only breathing! ;D

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:17:50 PM by j.w.forrest »

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 07:50:30 PM »

Yeah, that's what I try to do (while playing other notes on the pull) but then the actual notes sound too weak. I try not to just draw for air between the phrases... but sometimes I really have to. On the other boxes I have there's no problem because you can push the air button for extra air without anyone noticing..

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »

here you go
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=19401
bobbie shaftoe in C

Edit: if you listen carefully you might just hear my mum sing along in the background at some point in the recording. That'll teach her for not doing as she's told and attempting to sing when I play.
Very jaunty! I have added this to my tunes to learn.
I don't get 'jigs'

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 02:28:58 AM »

Well, this isn't too good but......this is the first proper tune that I learned. I sing along with it (sorry  :|bl) because the desire to sing it for someone special was what motivated me to learn the tune.  Anyone familiar with my TOTM contributions won't be disappointed  ;) Anyone annoyed by beginners best not listen (:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBFbPsDs1iU

You must realize that you have raised the bar significantly here............ 8)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »

With the end of the month, we move onto a new theme - but please feel free to post new videos here if you'd like to show us your first tune!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 11:49:57 PM »

How's that for a ThOTM - singalong tunes??!

Cracking idea for a theme! It's well outside my personal comfort zone and that of quite a few others here I suspect.... but that's not such a bad thing at all. I've added it to the list; it's not going to be May's theme... but in future months we'll see.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2010, 02:45:33 PM »

A very quick run through the first tune I managed to play with both hands, Constant Billy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyp4pSfdHwU
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »

I was interested to see your video, Tallship, because your Primo is very similar to mine (see my photo), and you don't see them often. I got mine in 1997 from the Music Room, and the receipt describes it as "Serenellini Melodeon", because (I think they said) Serenellini made them to the Music Room's specification for the English market. Mine doesn't say Primo (or anything else) on it, so it often attracts curious questions about what it is and what all the stops are for. I can't see clearly if your is the same, but mine has 3 stops on the treble side, and I now have two on the bass side because I had an extra stop put in to take out the bottom bass reed. Mine has no accidentals, just low notes, but I'm used to that.

I love it to bits and have yet to find a box I'd prefer.

Sorry, guys, this is off-topic for the thread but on-topic for one particular post. I could have sent a personal message, but maybe there's someone else out there with a Primo like this?
Marje

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »

I don't think posts about the instruments used in the Tune/Theme of the Month threads are particularly off topic! Yes, it's as you describe - D/G 23 button; low notes; 3 treble and one bass stop. Mine came from ebay two years ago. I used to live in Leeds and did bits of work for Martyn Banks at Oakwood Instruments but I wasn't involved with the melodeons. It wasn't until a while after I got the melodeon that I remembered Martyn showing me the first of the 'Primo' machine-routed badges. He was very pleased with himself as I recall, and rightly so, he's very clever at jigging up complex routing jobs. Here's a pic.

The Music Room are once again selling melodeons badged as Primo but they are a budget line and they're not anything like the old ones!

Pete.

ETA:
Marje, you may find this old thread interesting.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:42:03 PM by tallship »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2010, 10:38:42 PM »

The Music Room are once again selling melodeons badged as Primo but they are a budget line and they're not anything like the old ones!

Thanks for the pic and the link, Pete - yes, mine looks a lot like yours, except that mine has the extra stop and no badge name (I quite like not having a name on it, it adds a bit of mystery).

Not only are the Music Room selling cheapo melodeons labelled "Primo", but when I was at their stall at a festival recently, one of their sales guys asked what make my box was and were surprised when I told them - the staff on the stall knew nothing of these earlier Primo models and didn't recognise it.
Marje
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal