Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'The Voice Of Newfoundland' by john White  (Read 3662 times)

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
'The Voice Of Newfoundland' by john White
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »

I've been coveting this album for years since hearing An Aberdeenshireman  playing it at a fleamarket, he just would not part with it.

I finally found it on Lp a few days ago and I've been playing it constantly,I especially love "The Cliffs of Baccalieu" and "Tickle Cove Pond".John White has a southshore Irish tenor voice and Ray Walsh's piano accordion is beautifully nostalgic.The songs are easy to play along with and the almost play themselves on the G and D rows.It's a great way to learn some of newfoundland's favourite songs.

I was wondering how I'd be able to post about an album that's been out of print and unavailable for years.

Well for $12.99 it's yours Now!!Operators are standing by!! http://www.8-track-shack.com/product_info.php?products_id=6762   

Offer avaiable for a limited time

Matthew B

Re: 'The Voice Of Newfoundland' by john White
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:49:24 AM »

I finally found it on Lp a few days ago and I've been playing it constantly,I especially love "The Cliffs of Baccalieu" and "Tickle Cove Pond".John White has a southshore Irish tenor voice and Ray Walsh's piano accordion is beautifully nostalgic.The songs are easy to play along with and the almost play themselves on the G and D rows.It's a great way to learn some of newfoundland's favourite songs.

I'm a big fan of the accordion music from "The Rock".  If you don't have access to an 8 track machine, several of these songs show up played by the band "Great Big Sea", on their CD "The Mermaid".  Bob Hallett is their box man, and he does a creditable, straight ahead, Newfoundland job on a bunch of the tracks.  Worth a tenner to anyone!
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »

Thanks Matthew

I looked up the Great Big Sea album you recomend and it looks worth getting.A forum member,"Butterfingers",recently sent me a PDF file of tunes and playing tips,it contains great advice on getting the rythyms right.If you don't have it already I could forward it to you.

Chris

Matthew B

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »

Chris,

Thanks.  Any help on Newfoundland tunes would be great!  I'd be most interested to see some hints and tips on that playing style.  And if you're pursuing the topic in detail, I have a few other recordings from the region for which I could give you info. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:34:08 PM »

Matthew,send me an E-mail and I'll try to forward the file to you.I'd be happy to hear about those other recordings too.

Staghound

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:35:08 PM »

This caught my eye and yes, me thinks, I could try some Newfoundland moves - when I followed the link and saw an old 8-Track I could not believe it - are you living in a time warp? I threw my old 8 track out years ago! if there's a way to get the songs on a more up-to-date media I'd be interested! I particularly enjoy picking up tunes from listening and playing along  .....
Martin
------
Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Erika 2.5 D/G and C/F and Beaver (Hohner?) Bflat/Eflat, Hohner 2915 G/C + Fiddle, Banjo, Mandolin, Blah, Blah, Blah

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 01:53:51 AM »

Sorry if I mislead you Martin,the 8-track thing was meant to be a bit of a joke,but I really did like that album.The folks at 8-track shack offer Cd and Mp3 recordings with the purchase of the 8-track but that gets a bit pricey.

This recording by Great Big Sea contains many of the old Newfie classics.I haven't listened to it but it's easily available. http://www.tidespoint.com/music/gbs_he.shtml

Eddie Coffey is a popular Newfoundland accordionist and his singing and playing has grown on me. http://www.eddiecoffey.com/albums.html  samples available

Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal