Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Norwegian tunes  (Read 5609 times)

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
  • Play D/G, C/C#, B/C/C#, run Barn-dance band
Norwegian tunes
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »

I'm playing for wedding ceilidh in July and some of the guests are coming from Norway. The bride has already asked if we play any noregian tunes. As yet we don't and I'm trying to find some in either music notation form or ABC. I've only managed youtube snips so far and that means some hard work. Can anyone help with either website offering music notation, ABC or even PDF file? I use Finale as a writing tool so would happily accept Finale files.

my thanks

TG

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
Re: Norwegian tunes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:40:20 PM »

Hi Tony

You may well get something through here, but you might also want to try asking the question on John Adams' 'Tradtunes' Forum (it's a Yahoo Group), where this sort of thing gets asked quite frequently eg someone asked the same re. Austrian tunes last week, and got pointed towards some of the sort of resources you're looking for. Similarly, a recent discussion covered Australian tunes, etc., etc.

Diane

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:34:12 AM »

The Melodeon is called Torader in Norwegian.

This site is good http://toraderweb.no/index.php/757217http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLLz386oI0 .The musician,who's channel name is Hantorp, has several more good recordings.

The most comprehensive site is http://www.spillefolk.dk/ .Under 'English' you canl go to 'Fiddle Tunes ' and they can be selected by type,region or country.You can also select for tunes with Mp3 .John Birger Grytdal  plays some polskas on accordion that are very nice. http://www.spillefolk.dk/nodesamling/mp3/po-litjtzzz.mp3

Chris

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:30:10 AM »

'Dangerous' stuff it would seem - http://www.youtube.com/user/hantorp#p/a/f/2/e_nHKS89bAo - I imagine ants are now competely extinct in Norway!

But that waltz is a beauteous thing  8)

_       _    _      _ 

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:36:44 AM »

You could try Here and in Provencia put Norway and then Cerca.

Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »

Is the bride Norwegian? There are quite a few Bridal tunes in Norway, some of which I have the dots for.

Nigel

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »

You could contact Rannveig Djonne, who is a member here: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?action=profile;u=756

I have a copy of her lovely CD, which I had been intending to review on here, but got sidetracked for the last 18 months! There are some very nice traditional Norwegian tunes on there, including one of her own compositions that is used as a bridal march if I remember the sleeve notes correctly. She might be able to help with dots etc. but her CD is strongly recommended.

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:52:24 PM »

Thanks everyone. I've started looking already.
The bride is Scottish and she has friends from Ireland, Germany and Norway. We play a fair bit of Irish and Scottish and I intend putting a set of German tunes together and a set of Norwegian tunes together basically for listening to. Probably three tunes in each set with rhythm or tempo changes. Something I enjoy doing on a regular basis.

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:54:19 AM »

out of interest Tony what German tunes will you be playing?
Louise

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:40:11 PM »

Not totally sure yet but am thinking of using "Heideroslein" and "Fredal-Masel" which were given to me by my accordian pupil who is in his 70s and whose wife is German. She says these are very well known melodies.
I've started to write down a few dance tunes - one of them is called "Rheinlander".
Interestingly I have found a Norwegian tune by the name "Reinlender". Early days yet. I'm giving mysel until the end of May to sort out the sets then to present then to the rest of the band ready for the wedding at end of July.
Our caller be possibly knows the 'Steyn Polka' and says he knows a couple of Norwegian dances also. One wonders whether it is a good idea to do these but of course the punters themselves might NOT know them anyway. The aim is to please, not to upset.

TG

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 07:01:55 AM »

I'll ask my hubby if he knows them. As far a I know a Rheinlander is a type of dance / tune but I've no idea how it's danced.

Louise

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:06:47 AM »

I've started to write down a few dance tunes - one of them is called "Rheinlander".

Are you sure it's not "Rheinlandler"? - note 2nd "L". I believe a "Landler" is a type of dance or tune associated with a dance.

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 09:31:40 AM »

a "Landler" is in 3/4 takt. I googled "Rheinlander" and came up with this:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wzgCQzxp1Y

Louise

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »

A Reinlendar (reinlander) is very common in Scandinavia and also in Estonia, so possibly in Latvia as well. I think it likely the type of tune and dance found its way up from the Rhine but the h has got lost somewhere. Normally a 4/4 tune but with the stress not necessarily on the first and third beats of the bar.
That's one of the things I like about this type of music. Very noticable in waltzes where the stress can either be 1 2 3|1 2 3 or 1 2 3|1 2 3 etc .

Nigel
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:21:01 PM by strad »

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 05:52:27 PM »

I've an ABC file of mixed Scandanavian tunes.  Let me know if you want a copy.

Steve

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 09:02:38 PM »

ABC files would be very welcome. Thanks. That would save me having to write down the dots alongside listening to youtube clips.
I've certainly concluded that Reinlander/Reinlender OR Rheinlander are names for a dance type. It's a pity that the tune names therefore not given (as far as I can see).
I'm quite enjoying writing the dots from Youtube clips and am using Finale in the keys that the tunes are played on the clips, then changing the keys with the click of the mouse when and if needed. Good fun really, I can therefore put the tune into any key that I like.
Scandinavian tunes come in catagories, do German tunes do the same does anyone know? and if so what are they?

Thanks
TG

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 11:09:09 PM »

Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »

I'm playing for wedding ceilidh in July and some of the guests are coming from Norway. The bride has already asked if we play any noregian tunes. As yet we don't and I'm trying to find some in either music notation form or ABC. I've only managed youtube snips so far and that means some hard work. Can anyone help with either website offering music notation, ABC or even PDF file? I use Finale as a writing tool so would happily accept Finale files.

my thanks

TG

Tunes suitable for playing on what?

(D/G + low notes, D/G + acc, 3-row D/G/acc, some other melodeon, not a melodeon at all)

We play several Norwegian tunes but some are impossible on a D/G with or without accidentals...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »

Hi Ian

D/G with low notes or C/C# with basses for keys: C,G,D, Dminor (mainly)

TG

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »

Should have also said - de-clubbed club in D/G with extra notes on half row (D#/Fnat, Bb/G#, d#/fnat, fnat/g#) Push/Pull order.

TG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal