Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard layout?  (Read 2271 times)

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
Keyboard layout?
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »

Had a touch of MAD at the weekend and bought a Salterelle 21+5 in g/c.
I've been trying to workout the layout (with a digital tuner)
Does what I think i have look right? and what would I need the extra Bass notes for (the previous user didn't use them)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Keyboard layout?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:39:33 PM »

what would I need the extra Bass notes for

That would depend on what you want to play, but would appear to give you chords for playing in F and Bb.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »

Thats the same layout as mine! - Saltarelle  RIVAGE in shiny blue as in   http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/details1.asp/ProductID/6514/sid/154/name/rivage.htm ... with the main 8 bass chords working from the centre not the end! ... you easily get used to it though!
I find the Bb chord very useful against the D on the C row (push)

What model is yours ziachmusi?

Derek
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:05:36 AM »

What model is yours
It's a Pastourelle II, my playing isn't up to this box yet, can't even play my Pokerwork that well, but my new box is 9 years old and hardley played and at half the retail price I couldn't resist (:)
Louise

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »

The left end layout is exactly how Gaillard has my own G/C chords and would seem to be something standard. Don't be scared of that Eb as it takes you into the minors beautifully.  8)  I'm still 'discovering' mine!

I think right end is 'standard French' though many including myself would have accidentals another way (ie made that way, or turn the plates over). If you have C#/D# instead of D#/C# then both accidental pairs 'sharpen' which is easy on the brain.

The other perhaps more important advantage is that when playing in A minor (this for many is what the G/C box was made for!) you have A,C,D,D#,E,G,A  all on the pull and lapsing into A blues becomes very easy. The 'blue' notes in Am are A# D# and G and you want them same way as the chord.

I went further and turned A#/G# too - Now harmonic and melodic minors are all on pull  8)  Of course if you are a major key sort of girl then the present way may be better - depends on what you like to play.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:27:40 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »

I'm one of those people who likes the accidentals the same way round as yours. It's all personal taste, depending on what you play and how you play it. Same goes for the basses.
The thing to do is to keep playing it as it is and discovering what you can do with it. At some time in the future, maybe several years away, you might decide you want to change something, but don't do it just because someone else says you should.
My 2.5 rows have the "extra" basses at the top rather than the bottom, but on some boxes it can be a bit of a stretch to reach the "usual" ones at the bottom, and I'm wondering if having them like yours might be a good idea. It certainly seems to be getting more common these days. 
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal