Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you class Rare as in "Rare".  (Read 1303 times)

Fungusface

• SAOR ALBA
  • Respected Sage
  • SAOR ALBA
What do you class Rare as in "Rare".
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »

If you wish peace, friendship, and quietness: listen and look and read

Ga

• Good talker
Re: What do you class Rare as in "Rare".
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »

on ebay, the word "rare" has no meaning at all.  It's a bit like a swear word on a dockside, it's used so often, it has no power or meaning.

To me, "rare" is only trustworthy, when it's from a known and trusted source.  It's deciding which ones are the trusted  sources, that causes difficulties.

Even then, "Rare" only means "There aren't very many available", which may be for many reasons.  It doesn't necessarily mean "desirable".

"Rare" could be because there were not many made, such as a high quality, hand-made such and such, or "rare" because there aren't many of them left, such as a very early 1st batch instrument from a manufacturer.      There may not be many available, as they've all been thrown away due to being rubbish - a 1981 Skoda Estelle car is definitely "rare", but do I really want one?

To some collectors of things, "rare" means "desirable", as it artificially inflates the price of certain items, so they hold their monetary value.  I'd only really want it, if it still does it's original job very well.

Now, the "Sun Dog" which occurred around here the other morning, (a rare dual vertical rainbow, either side of the sun, a rare atmospheric effect) .....Now that was a short-lived, delicate, rare and valuable thing of beauty, and yet it has no monetary value at all.  Just the way I like it.    Others though, couldn't care less.   I guess we all apply our own value onto the "rare", and it's meaning.

Andy Simpson

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »

You do have to bear in mind that dealers need to make enough money on a trade in to make it worth their while, especially high street shops with all the overheads a retail presence like that entails. If a shop offers close to a "fair" price for a secondhand box as a trade in then to make a profit they'll have to price it above the going rate for one and consequently never be able to sell it and to be able to price it attractively they'll have to offer a sum that's close to or even below the trade price for a new one that they can sell for a lot more so there's very little reason for music shops to accept trade ins at all.

The place I once worked in only did so if it was something desireable and genuinely rare, ie, something hard to find and no longer made or still availabe new but in high demand and very limited supply. Even then we had to offer a realistic price.

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »

It's like trading in cars, you get a better deal on a new one if you don't have a trade-in.  You will always get a better price for box in a private sale than as a trade in.

As far as rare is concerned, almost any mass produced box is not going to be rare until enough time has elapsed to thin out the numbers.  You can also get a situation where fashions change and higher prices bring sellers onto the market and so what was once rare is no more.

Steve

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal