Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Using skype  (Read 5677 times)

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
Using skype
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »

Hi,
Just an idea,why not use skype to help each other other with tune learning or instrument problems.I use it a lot to keep in touch with Manfrini in Italy .

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Using skype
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:55 PM »

The only reason I don't use skype is because nobody else I know has ever told me that they are on it. Sounds a good idea Pete.

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:00:21 PM »

I use skype loads - you get me at: glory-hallelujahal
Looking forward to chats & squeezing etc.
AL

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »

There are three of us on there now - me , Al and Brian Read.....

Im on as 'ukfolkmusic' would be happy to see any melnetter..

Almo
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »

There are three of us on there now - me , Al and Brian Read.....

Im on as 'ukfolkmusic' would be happy to see any melnetter..
Almo

There are still only the three of us...come on folk, don't be shy.

Almo
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Noodle

• Louder is better, right?
  • Regular debater
  • Occasionally actually helpful
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:47:20 AM »

I have no working mic, but I do have a functional webcam, so even if you can't hear me, you can see me. I'm happy for people to add me though. meet_mr_noodle
Nottingham, UK.

Hohners: HA114 (C), HA114 (G)*, Liliput (C/F), Preciosa (C/F)*, 1040 (G), Imperial. Dino Baffetti Binci III (D/G), Self-made Pariselle 2.6 (G/C), Soberano (C/F), Nopka garmoshka (F#)*.

One day I'll get really good, like those really good players. One day.
*to be fixed

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:51 AM »

I have no working mic, but I do have a functional webcam, so even if you can't hear me, you can see me. I'm happy for people to add me though. meet_mr_noodle

Added   :D

Almo

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:13:32 AM »

Skype will stop working soon now Microsoft has bought it.   :o

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »

So you're not joining us then Lester  ::)

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 11:27:30 AM »

I don't think they'll keep supporting the linux version of skype.  :-\

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »

there are, apparently, web chat extensions to this forum available.

https://blueimp.net/ajax/

one example.

Any interest from the mods on this? 
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »

More to the point, any interest from members?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »

Not from me, to be honest. I use it occasionally for video chats with my folks in Aberdeen so they can see the kids, but that's it.

I would think latency issues would mean it's not suitable for playing in virtual sessions, unless someone knows different.

Cheers,

Clive

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:31 PM »

Live chat boxes on forums do have a tendancy to make the forum threads quiet. IMO

Chris Brimley

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »

Well, I thought it might provide a sort of instant session, which might be quite fun, and I applaud Almo for his enthusiasm.  However I'm not yet sure this would work very well, because I suspect there are time delays in the system, so I was waiting to see whether anyone had got the idea going.  In terms of general communication, Skype really works best on a 1 to 1 level, I think, so I wouldn't have thought it would compete with melnet much, where the main concept seems to be that of a wider forum - people can dip in and out as they please, but they can find there's usually something going on.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 01:49:22 PM »

Not from me, to be honest. I use it occasionally for video chats with my folks in Aberdeen so they can see the kids, but that's it.

I would think latency issues would mean it's not suitable for playing in virtual sessions, unless someone knows different.

Cheers,

Clive

No, I saw it only as text chat I must admit, I am not sure "live" sessions will work at all unless we are all on 20mbps lines.
Brian Read
A STREB!!,
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »

Well, I thought it might provide a sort of instant session, which might be quite fun, and I applaud Almo for his enthusiasm.  

Chris, not so much a session as connection speeds could be an issue, I'm on 20meg Broadband but........

Where I think it's useful, would be for one to one chat and perhaps help with tunes and ideas about playing, and chat is a lot easier that posting notes on a forum as you can easily get a conversation going. Those of us with webcams/ mics would be able to demonstrate and hear what others are doing - I'd love some discussion / demonstration  about bass technique to give me a nudge in the right direction. It's ok looking at video or reading dots but it's not as good as being able to question whats being shown.

In addition it's more sociable if you can have a chinwag with someone..

Oh well just a thought...my ideas usually run sideways to everyone else's anyway..

Alan

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:52:05 PM by Almo2504 »

brianread

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »

Well, I thought it might provide a sort of instant session, which might be quite fun, and I applaud Almo for his enthusiasm.  However I'm not yet sure this would work very well, because I suspect there are time delays in the system, so I was waiting to see whether anyone had got the idea going.  In terms of general communication, Skype really works best on a 1 to 1 level, I think, so I wouldn't have thought it would compete with melnet much, where the main concept seems to be that of a wider forum - people can dip in and out as they please, but they can find there's usually something going on.

It would "just" give you someone to text chat to if the moment takes you...  :-\ :-\
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »

Cheers,

Clive

No, I saw it only as text chat I must admit, I am not sure "live" sessions will work at all unless we are all on 20mbps lines.

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I meant Skype, not chatboxes. Even with fast broadband, I'm pretty sure the lag would render Skype sessions impractical; I've been doing some recording (with Mixcraft) while listening to what I'm playing in realtime recently; even a lag of 20 milliseconds is too much to my ear. And there's no way Skype sends a video/audio feed across the internet that quick.

Cheers,

Clive

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »

No interest in Skype from me, it's rather restrictive software that does nothing unique but comes with asll sorts of issues.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal