Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chemnitzer Concertina  (Read 11402 times)

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Re: Chemnitzer Concertina
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 11:18:59 PM »

Easy...EASY???  Why do you think they had to invent a special tablature AND label all the buttons.  I nearly lost my marbles when learning to type, but the layout of the Chemnitzer defies all logic (I still dream "The quick brown fox...").  There are about three buttons on each hand that allow you to play a tune in some semblance of normality, then the buttons jump octave and key with no apparent reason.

I bought and AA concertina a few years back on ebay.de and only keep it to offer to all those who say diatonics are easy to play.  For a start you need hands like digger buckets to reach the buttons (JK should do fine) and the whold contraption sags across your knees what with the three part bellows.

You'll have gathered that I was rather disappointed that I couldn't master the beast.

Rob.

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 11:51:13 PM »

Easy...EASY???  Why do you think they had to invent a special tablature AND label all the buttons.  I nearly lost my marbles when learning to type, but the layout of the Chemnitzer defies all logic (I still dream "The quick brown fox...").  There are about three buttons on each hand that allow you to play a tune in some semblance of normality, then the buttons jump octave and key with no apparent reason.

The tablature is for those who can't read music.  It makes perfecr sense, well as much as the rest of the instrument.  Are you sure that the instrument you were playing was a chemnitzer and not a bandonion?

Steve

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 12:15:58 AM »

Ah, well - it has "concertina" written on it and only has three rows of buttons on each hand.  I believe AA changed the grille design to "Bandonion" when all the xtra buttons were added.  Do you mean that this is another variant layout that preceded the bandonion and not a Chemnitzer?

Rob.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 03:19:59 AM »

To Bob who sent me a personal message:

Web-TV is too primitive for me to respond. Theo rigged up some sort of patch to allow me to use this forum.

I have been listening to polkas on the radio for decades. Music by Casey "Fingers" Siewierski always caught my ear. I now have a couple of long-play 33 1/3 recordings by Casey. I am always on the lookout for polka records at garage sales and flea markets.

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 05:22:50 AM »

HI, Dave, and thanks for the reply. Looking back at the time I spent growing up just down the block from Casey, hanging around with his son, I realize what a missed chance that was to learn the Chemnitzer. Here's a little photo of a drummer pal of ours; Casey's son, Denny, in the middle; and me looking bored with the Scandalli. Good for a chuckle!

Bob

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 07:34:54 AM »

Ah, well - it has "concertina" written on it and only has three rows of buttons on each hand.  I believe AA changed the grille design to "Bandonion" when all the xtra buttons were added.  Do you mean that this is another variant layout that preceded the bandonion and not a Chemnitzer?

Rob.

Depending how old it is then that is possible.  See here for a fuller explanation http://www.inorg.chem.ethz.ch/tango/band/band_node10.html

I've seen a number of different layouts over the years and even amongst chemnitzers there are variants, mainly based round the home key as in the mode of melodeons.

Steve

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 01:03:37 AM »

To RGF:

Unfortunately Web-TV will not allow me to view the photograph.

I am thankful that I still can participate in the melodeon forums.

I regularly posted on a certain polka forum. They "upgraded" to some super-duper new and improved format that did not allow me to post messages.

I encountered the same thing with this message board, but Theo came up with some sort of work-around. 

I think I will put the Casey Siewierski disc on the phonograph and listen whilst I peruse the other forum sections.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal