Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: anglo concertina or melodeon?  (Read 16341 times)

mber

Re: anglo concertina or melodeon?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 03:57:27 AM »

You really need to go to CONCERTINA.net with this question.
To make long story short, here's my point of view:
Those pinkey rests were intended for two fingers, that's why they are so long. EC was devised as single melody instrument, playing violin parts. It has the range of violin, with 48 buttons.
But right from the start players of classical music have abandoned such silly idea and either learned to use only pinkies (it comes with practice), or went so far as to unscrew and dispose of those brackets whatsoever.
In such a case you play seated, with your concertina on your knee. So instead of holding the weight of the instrument by your thumbs, you press down the thumb loops, against your knee. This stabilizes the instrument very well. But to avoid rubbing the bellows off, you learn to fan bellows out and in, instead of pulling away at them. Just like you would do with accordion. Same technique. Or you put one end of concertina on your knee, while holding another up in the air. That works too, and actually may contribute to better dynamics, but puts extra stress on your "airborn" thumb, though usually it is not a bid geal. The concertina with one end planted and another in the air is stabilized enough.
Or watch the videos from Goran Rahm, where he explains the construction of his splendid Concertina Handle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEPTosZ44g&fmt=6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8dj_CJNbF8

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »

Those pinkey rests were intended for two fingers...

Well, yes, but I like to employ as many fingers as possible for playing--hence, I only plant my pinkys.

mber

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »

Did you watch Goran's videos? And did you see the posts on Concertina.net?
The pinkies were covered there at lenght, and this question surfaces there from time to time, as it is an important ergonomic issue for anyone picking up EC. And it is always answered in depth, no matter how often it is asked.

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »

Yes.  And no.  I couldn't tell from the video linked if he was using pinkies or not..

mber

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 12:50:30 AM »

I see.
Well, the whole point fo Goran's video is to show the new handle, enabling him to better control the concertina.
Yes, he is using all available fingers for playing. Me too. But some don't.
You can send him email with questions, he'll be happy to answer.
I'm yet to build myself such contraption.

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 01:27:43 AM »

Yes, that much I could tell.  It does appear to be a good solution--but I'll probably fail to build one myself as well..

mber

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 01:40:18 AM »

In which case you should be playing seated with the instrument on your lap.

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 05:40:05 AM »

Always do.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 07:42:57 AM »

Thoughts of Chairman Lester, please feel free to disagree   :)

• I have played one of Goran's modified Englishs and found it constricting for my playing rather than liberating
  • If the English Concertina badly needed modifying it would have been over the last 100 years
  • Having an unstable instrument allows you to play better in the same way that a modern fighter aircraft is designed to be unstable to permit it to change what it is doing very rapidly
  • The only way to play is stood up, anchoring one end or both to your leg will remove agility in your playing. Its only practice, my Morris side's concertina band play stood up with treble, tenor (me and bass Englishes).

Picture of Aldbury Morris's Concertina Band playing 3 of the Fayre Four Sister's Wheatstone Aeola concertinas

george garside

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »

you can't do the 'bells' with it attached to your leg or whatever or the gerneral waving about that effects the sound when  required.  The only time I have seen Alistair Anderson playing seated has been in sessiions, otherwise always standing.

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

mber

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »

I have played one of Goran's modified Englishs and found it constricting for my playing rather than liberating[/li]
[li]If the English Concertina badly needed modifying it would have been over the last 100 years[/li]
[li]Having an unstable instrument allows you to play better in the same way that a modern fighter aircraft is designed to be unstable to permit it to change what it is doing very rapidly [/li]
[li]The only way to play is stood up, anchoring one end or both to your leg will remove agility in your playing. Its only practice, my Morris side's concertina band play stood up with treble, tenor (me and bass Englishes).

To say it is like saying that "we play all kinds of music, Country AND Western".
Try to play Chopin's Prelude in Cmin standing, with your pinkies in rests, I'm sure your opinion will change drastically. Besides different people have different physical abilities. I see the value of standing up, but I also see the value in sitting down. I once saw a video of Indian orchestra  playing the score for the movie (what else?), and the violin player was playing seated, holding the violin between his shoulder and a .... foot.
Looked naturally and not funny. But I think Catti got her answers on this forum, and if she needs more, I'd recommend to go to Concertina.net. There you, me and Catti can discuss these matters some more.
See you there. ;D

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »

Yes.  And no.  I couldn't tell from the video linked if he was using pinkies or not..

Hi Catty, watch these two videos by Danny Chapman. He orientates his hands by using the finger rests but takes his little finger away as soon as he starts to play.

Rat in the Bed     http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b1VW2HEZzbs

Michael Turner's Waltz   http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hdy9vOASoDU
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2008, 06:42:13 PM »

Here's one by Pauline de Snoo, clearly showing the use of all four fingers.

Classical music on the concertina
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 01:37:29 AM »

Very nice--thank you.  This is definitely the way for me to go.  I'll not place my pinkies in the stirrups and forego their use any longer!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal