Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Maggies Melodeon - Cross rowing  (Read 7377 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: More Maggies Melodeon - Cross rowing
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »

The book is about DG cross rowing ...

Try not to think of "cross rowing" as something special, its just playing the rows as one instrument.  Imagine if a pianist thought that "black noting" was something advanced! ;D

I sometimes teach complete beginners, and I have them using both rows from the very start.  It is not any more difficult than playing on one row, just different.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

nemethmik

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »

Try not to think of "cross rowing" as something special, its just playing the rows as one instrument.  Imagine if a pianist thought that "black noting" was something advanced! ;D
Excellent point!  (:)

folkman

• Respected Sage
  • ale, morris and melodeon
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »

I've just bought Maggie's first book, read through it quickly and am now ready to start following it. A nice, clear manual, just like George's, so there's no excuse for me now as I have two great tutor books to guide me. And although learning the box seems to be pretty hard work and quite frustrating at times, I can't wait to get home, pick it up and 'have a go' because it is what everyone says it is...fun! I love it! Mind you, I can't see myself getting Maggie's second volume for quite a while yet.  :||:
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

nemethmik

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »

Maggie's first book
There are significant differences of the two methods of Maggie Moore and Dave Mallinson:
(1) Maggie Moore does not give hints about the fingering for the tunes, the learner (even a total newbie) has to invent her/his fingering (strategy).
On the other hand in Dave Mallinson's tutor book very elaborate fingering is presented.
(2) Instead of fingering Maggie Moore gives the button numbers throughout in her books; that is, locating the buttons to press is easy.
Dave Mallinson gives the button numbers only for the first 6 (or so) of tunes; instead, fingering instructions are given for all tunes.
(3) The speed/tempo of the tunes played on the accompanying CDs of the Maggie Moore books is much slower; no need for slow-downer.
(4) The number of tunes in the Maggie Moore book is manageable. It's impossible to learn all the tunes from the Dave mallinson's book: they are enough for years.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:21:51 PM by Miklos Nemeth »

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »

Confession time.

I'd been playing assorted squeezeboxes for years before the concept of cross rowing entered my consciousness  (:).

Steve

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »

Confession time.

I'd been playing assorted squeezeboxes for years before the concept of cross rowing entered my consciousness  (:).

Steve

...whereas, it never occurred to me that anyone wouldn't play across both rows, until I started to notice it mentioned here.  The idea that anyone would choose to reverse the bellows rather than just reach for the appropriate button seemed very odd when I first encountered it.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal