Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another Microvox / Amplification question.  (Read 4710 times)

Jack's Rake

• Jack's Rake
Yet another Microvox / Amplification question.
« on: May 14, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »

Sorry if this point has been covered before but I can't find any previous posts specifically related to this point.

We've just purchased the M310 melodeon system and 2 M400s for use with a concertina.  We used them for the first time, in a gig,  last night and are very pleased with the performance.  None of the feedback or noise issues that are regularly reported and a decent enough reproduction of the sound plus the freedom to wander round rather than stand in one spot pointing at a mike which, in itself, was worth the cost.

The only negative we've found is that the velcro is terrible!  Both the large melodeon bar thingy and the two concertina ones spent the evening hanging by two or three little hooks, in spite of some rather assertive pushing together of the two velcro strips.  Admittedly, they didn't actually fall off but it was rather disconcerting and, as a novice melodeon player, any distraction is most unwelcome.

So, to the point.  I'm considering getting some magnetic strip and replacing the velcro with a magnet/magnet or magnet/steel arrangement.  The specific question is (please forgive my ignorance if this is obvious) is the magnetic field likely to interfere with the functioning of the electret microphones?  Also, more generally ... has anyone tried this and did it work?

Cheers!
Mark.

Le Bouebe D/G and Dinn II B/C.  Hoping, one day, to be able to actually play them.

http://www.jacksrake.co.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Yet another Microvox / Amplification question.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 01:09:52 PM »

I haven't had trouble with the Velcro until it gets old. Then it either loses its grip or sometimes the self-adhesive backing comes undone instead of the Velcro separating.

Magnetic attachment would not interfere with the mic action as the latter is electrostatic (it's an electret condenser mic) but you might find that mechanical noise (key clacks etc) are transmitted to the mic - the velcro provides useful acoustic isolation of mic from box. But you might find that isn't a problem in practice, so it's worth a try.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:27:40 PM »

The 310 is the big bulky one, right? I mount mine upside down, so the jack socket points upwards, and lead the cable over my shoulder by using masking tape to temporarily fix it to the shoulder strap. Since the main problem is the weight of the cable pulling the microvox off the treble, this works pretty well for me.

Cheers,

Clive

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »

Played at a 'blues jam' in Cheshire yesterday. My accoustic instruments were hopelessly quiet -with all the guitars amplified and the harmonicas miked. So I 'm well tempted. Thanks for the timely info.

I'm surprised this is all velcro based. Does no-one inset little hooks into the wood and used reinforcing elastic? Look like I'll have to drill :o the Gaillard  for left-end miking anyway, ('though left end has only limited relevance to playing Blues)

Seems another Cleckheaton trip is needed ...
  _       _    _      _ 

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »

I found that the velcro was pretty crap, yes. I got some more stick on velcro commerically and it was significantly  better, no problems after around 9 months of using it.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »

Look like I'll have to drill :o the Gaillard  for left-end miking anyway,

Noooooo !!! ;D

How about a mike clipped to the bass strap such as the ones Bernard Loffet does, or fixed to a wristband a la Saul Rose instead?

Clive

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »

I'm surprised this is all velcro based. Does no-one inset little hooks into the wood and used reinforcing elastic? Look like I'll have to drill :o the Gaillard  for left-end miking anyway,

Likewise, nooo! I've been using a swan-neck mike clipped to the strap on the bass end, and that's giving a really good sound-can also be easily repositioned if you're switching between boxes with different strength in the basses. And for the treble end, there's a similar mike with a small, neat adhesive bracket which you clip the mike into-so far, no screws...and if you couple that with a radio system, complete freedom from cables. You can then join in the dancing at gigs, or go and explore the building whilst playing if the mood takes you...

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »

I'm sure Bertrand will be touched by your concerns for his woodwork. He has installed mikes for some of the french professionals but they seem to use microvox or equivalent right end.

The simple mike on the (right) wrist attracts - is this the sort of thing?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43818

_       _    _      _ 

Howard Jones

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »

Here's my reply to the poster's duplicate question on concertina.net:

Have you contacted Microvox? Perhaps it's a faulty batch of velcro.

I've found velcro perfectly satisfactory for attaching this type of mic. I'm less happy about sticking velcro on the instrument, and for this reason I used cut-down pieces of velcro fixed to the wooden handles of my anglo, where they were less conspicuous and less likely to cause permanent damage to the finish. Even with the reduced contact area I had no problems.

Howard Jones

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »

Look like I'll have to drill :o the Gaillard  for left-end miking anyway

I found the sound-holes in the LH end of my Saltarelle were exactly the right size to take a 1/4" jack.  Of course, if you want to use an XLR you might have to get brutal.

LJC

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »

Jack's Rake

• Jack's Rake
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 02:43:38 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm pleased to say the most obvious suggestion was successful.  I bought some decent velcro and replaced the MV stuff. 

Works perfectly now.

Cheers!
Mark.

Le Bouebe D/G and Dinn II B/C.  Hoping, one day, to be able to actually play them.

http://www.jacksrake.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal