Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suggestions for three row GCF tutor  (Read 3664 times)

waltzman

suggestions for three row GCF tutor
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »

Most of them are latino-style and a recommedation for that would be fine but if anyone knows of a three row tutor in another style I would like to know about it.

nemethmik

Re: suggestions for three row GCF tutor
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:53:32 PM »

Cornelia and Dieter Schaborak: The diatonic Harmonica Course -for 3 or 4 row Instruments book
http://www.ziachnoten.de/epages/15513816.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15513816/Products/%22E/SP011%22/SubProducts/%22E/SP011/G-C%22
 (:)

waltzman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »

Thanks for that link.  I would never have found that myself.  Is it in english?  Is it for a three row with gleichtons?

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »

Is it for a three row with gleichtons?
The title says "for Styrian Diatonic Harmonika" which means gleichtons on all but the outer rows.

Technique is basically the same for 3 row and 4 row boxes; the latter just give you more key flexibility.
Steirische playing is very much about being able to use the whole scale in each bellows direction, which needs three rows for completeness, and is quite different from the typical "push-pull" technique for boxes without gleichton.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:10:21 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

nemethmik

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »

Is it in english?  Is it for a three row with gleichtons?
As the great Anahata replied, it's in English and about gleichtons. I have a three-row ADG with no gleichtons and the Schaborak book (and possibly all other Steirische tutor book, too) is very-very useful even for regular three-row melodeons as well.

John C

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 02:29:23 PM »

Thanks for this good info, I'll check it out

John
Saltarelle Laurentide GCF, Saltarelle Cheviot ADG

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »

I worked with this book when I started learning the Styrische Harmonika. I made quite good progress but what didn't suit me was that it is a TAB system (Griffschrift). After a year  I could play some of the tunes quite well but had the feeling that I didn't know my instrument. I couldn't play anything without the dots and I didn't know where what note was or what Bass notes
I had and used.
This is probably just me as this is the standard way to learn the Styrische at the moment. I found the choice of tunes difficult as I didn't know any of them (and couldn't remember them or get them in my brain :(), most of the tunes are played with a harmony so you usually press two or three buttons at once which I think is why I didn't get acquainted with my box and it's layout. I changed to learning by notes which suits me better and has the advantage that most tunes you want to play are available (griffschrift notation is generally restricted to Alpine music)
Don't want to put anyone off - as I say it's a system that didn't suit me I'm sure there are others who have found Griffschrift really helpful

Louise

nemethmik

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:18:33 PM »

Louise,
The Schaborak book is my primary melodeon tutor book these days, because I want to learn chords. I love many of the tunes in the book, have you learned the "Scheidige Landler" or "Lustige umadraht"? How far did you proceed in the book? Have you started learning multi-voice (chords) playing? Didn't you play along with other Steirische harmonika players?
First I was not happy with griffschrift, but today I can see it as just another "language": we learn so many foreign languages in my country; I have taken exams (in some levels) in Russian, English, French, German, Arabic in my school years. Then I've learned a hell lot of programming languages. Griffschrift is just another language, a very simple one, but very useful to give an exact notation system for playing tunes on a three-row quint tuned accordion. I write the names of notes over the griffschrift symbols for an ADG accordion, and I can learn the tunes on any other instrument. IMHO, the griffschrift system could be completely applicable for any 1, 2 or 3-row accordions including a chromatic button accordion or B/C/C# box. Griffschrift is especially useful for three-row quint-tuned boxes where most of the notes are available (reduntantly) on all three rows (A, B, D, E, F# for example on an ADG). Griffschrift tells you exactly which button to press or draw.
Alpine diatonic accordion music is possibly the largest, most sophisticated of all diatonic accordion cultures, I found very useful and refreshing to learn from these people.
This was the video that drove my attention to Alpine music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMypEcCFwY8

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:27:26 PM by Miklos Nemeth »

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »

This was the video that drove my attention to Alpine music:
:|bl

Milkos, I do actually like alpine music  ;D, it's just that before delving into the world of diatonic Harmonicas I had never played any instrument before, had no idea about written music, couldn't sing or whistle in tune and don't have much of an ear for music. With such disabilities I found the Schaborak tutor quite easy and made fairly good progress. But as I said  playing harmonies seemed to stop me from understanding my keyboard layout. I only play music with my hubby (Mandolin, Banjo and Violin) and two friends (Piano accordion, Clarinet and English concertina) They play so many lovey tunes , it really annoyed me that I couldn't join in as I didn't have any griffschrft notes. For me the playing by notes has been really rewarding and the TOTM thing has  been brilliant for the learning progress (which is slow :'()

Oops have I just Thread drifted ::)

Louise
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:46:58 PM by ziachmusi »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal