Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For B/C/C# Players  (Read 3337 times)

melodeon

For B/C/C# Players
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:00:19 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwrzcpEu4aU

Good stuff and he has other videos

Fantini sounds great .

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
Re: For B/C/C# Players
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »

We had a thread about Graham Irvine's playing a while ago.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,1224.msg10992.html#msg10992

There are more videos now than there were then - all worth a listen.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »

Not so sure about the fantini - has anyone played one recently?
AL

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »

Yes. If you had been at Graeme's last workshop, you could have had a go of Robert Dykes' Fantini.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:38:10 PM »

How was it?

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 06:50:08 PM »

Pretty good, though I didn't play it long enough to form a strong opinion; and it's quite a while since I had a shot of Graham Irvine's. I was looking at buying one myself last year, but it slipped away. Now I've got the Shand Morino, that's no longer a consideration.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:58:50 PM »

fantini? isn't that a cocktail?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »

I was looking at buying one myself last year, but it slipped away. Now I've got the Shand Morino, that's no longer a consideration.

Obviously it was not as good as the Morino. I was interested because Allodi has had a couple of fantini bcc# models available for some time - although I've found the pricing to be very off-putting.
AL

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »

The lovely thing about these instruments is that it is all a matter of opinion. I really like the sound that my Casali makes, but if Robert ever felt like giving me his Fantini I would be more than grateful and would prefer it to a Morino.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 11:25:40 PM »

Have played a couple of fantini's now.  I have written a few things in this space and deleted them.  So I'm going to be polite  ;D

Basically I hate them.  Apologies to any fans out there but they are not what Fantini claim them to be and are far too expensive for what they are.  If they had made it as a new accordion it would've been fine, but calling it the Sharino and marketing it as the same as a Shand Morino was the wrong route to go down.  It's nowhere near!

Besides that, I found a huge problem in adding dynamics to the sound.  It seemed to have one volume level, no matter what you did with the bellows.  The instrument is also very large and a clumsy shape.

Get a paolo, Borsini, Supersalis, Casali, Echo or a Gaelic if the Shand Morino is not available.  Dare I say anything but?
Black Shand Morino

george garside

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »

Graeme, was the Gola that Jimmy Shand had a one off, I have never seen one in the flesh and understand that to say he was not over keen on it would be an understatement!  My ideal box would be one the weight and ease of handling of my casali  but built to Morino standards.

george :D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »

Yeh the Gola was a one off and was a flop in Jimmy's eyes.
Black Shand Morino

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »

This is an old thread but an interesting one for me , I’ve been off for a while.
I think ideally we all have different views on Accordions and players will always go for the best they can  the best ever made was of course The Shand Morino.
There are other decent boxes out there too however , I played Manfrini for several years and found them an easy played , bright Accordion.
This last year I bought a Fantini Sharino , bit strange at first and a bit bulky. I persevered with the box and now I find I can play it with ease. I think it takes time to get up to the feel of a box. Someone coming straight from a morino to a Sharino could not cope with the difference straight off , also there’s the psychological difference.
Personally I love the Fantini Sharino , and I now own two , one i bought last year and the one formerly owned by Mr Dykes which is a real beauty , anyone who knows their stuff will know these boxes are really well made. I played the morino for many years but In reality the majority of them now in well worn  condition,
No I think the Fantini is a fine box and very playable in the right hands, just watch Billy McGuire on YouTube for proof of that!  :|||:
I’m not up to  McGuires standard of musicianship but here’s some tunes I recorded with the sharino on YouTube, I think these boxes sound as good as the morino , but again just preference. I’ve enclosed a wee photo of my two Sharinos
Hope you enjoy the videos
Cheers
Daniel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCypMa9XliN4ViWrYcFiQwVA

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:45:35 PM by Daniel McPhee »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal