Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Club ergonomics question  (Read 1471 times)

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
Club ergonomics question
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:19:01 PM »

I have a full sized 3v 1930s Hohner Club. It is a very nice box with a thumb groove along the keyboard which means there is no thumb strap. It seems more like a piano accordion than a diatonic; being both tall and long, it requires two shoulder straps to square it on the torso which is quite different than the 'fire from the hip' portability and ergonomics of the lighter Pokerworks and Erica models. You can almost sling them around one shoulder like a camera bag.

I don't like the groove, my hand being accustomed to the thumb strap. I'm thinking of fixing a thumb strap to the back of the keyboard via a discretely drilled hole which can be filled without too much remorse if I don't like it.

But is the Club's keyboard too long to make this a practical arrangement, i.e. being able to reach the far ends of the keyboard while still anchoring the hand? It's my largest box and I don't often see them with thumb straps, I'm thinking this is for a good reason and I may be putting myself out. Any ideas? Should I just learn to stand with two straps and play with a free hand or is adding a thumb strap a worthwhile investment? Anyone ever done this?

edit: FWIW the box has been declubbed and retuned to G/C with a row of convenient accidentals.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:21:02 PM by cpsmart »

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
Re: Club ergonomics question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:37:42 PM »

I've got a post war 30 button club and the keyboard is slightly wider than a standard pokerwork, but the button span is identical. I don't use a thumbstrap, but I know players who do on a pokerwork, so if it works for them it ought to work for you on a club. My club doesn't have a groove, I just use the standard morris grip.
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:35:54 AM »

I would seriously consider playing with two straps and foregoing the thumb strap. When I first started I played with one strap and a thumstrap, then progressed to two straps and a thumbstrap, then to two straps and morris grip and now to two straps and finger jammed on the edge/in the groove. I think that having two straps and no thumbstrap is probably the best bet in terms of finger agility.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:13:45 PM »

I admit the groove grows on me each time I pick up the box though it still feels odd to have one arm wandering over the keyboard so freely. I think the most awkward part of playing the Club is its large size which I'm not accustomed to. It doesn't seem common to add a thumb strap so I'm going to keep it it as-is. At this rate it might be a good idea to give up the thumb strap training wheels on the smaller boxes, as well. Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal