Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons at Witney 2010  (Read 31172 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: Melodeons at Witney 2010
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »

Wow... That's incredible! Although, one of the bass buttons is out of line. :P  Who, where, how much, will they do one for my 18th?! :D

Who?: my sister, Carolyn.
Where?: near Northampton.
How much?: don't know, but she takes orders.
Will she do one for my 18th?: Probably, if the price is right.

The cake is a pretty accurate representation of a Castagnari Benny and the bass button wasn't out of line when Carolyn made it. The inquisitive hand of a grandchild dislodged it.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »

Why does that bring to mind the dead parrot sketch.

"E's not dead, just pining for a session"
"Pining for a session?!"
"Yes these melodeon players, are prone to pining for a session...and real ale-," says the shop keeper tapping the player on the shoulder. "Tell you what you can do, buy it a new box. It'll love that, perks 'em right up that does a new box. It'll be playing away in no time."

[/quote]

This is, sadly, rather too close to the truth....
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

folkman

• Respected Sage
  • ale, morris and melodeon
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »

[/quote]
Why does that bring to mind the dead parrot sketch.

"E's not dead, just pining for a session"
"Pining for a session?!"
"Yes these melodeon players, are prone to pining for a session...and real ale-," says the shop keeper tapping the player on the shoulder. "Tell you what you can do, buy it a new box. It'll love that, perks 'em right up that does a new box. It'll be playing away in no time."

[/quote]
That puts the parrot sketch into the shade...excellent! :D :D :D
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2010, 11:26:49 AM »

That's almost an inspiration to take up cake decorating! Brilliant  ;D

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »

:-[
Right now it seems very unlikely that I'll get to Witney (which I've been looking forward to since Melodeons & more). Swedish banks don't do cheques anymore so I HAVE TO get an internet payment option. I've e-mailed the site and Dave Townsend (as Chas told me to) but I don't have much hope that they'll dig up the details I need before it's too late. For Mendlesham, even if I asked for specific details, the only thing I got was sort code and account number which only helps if I have a British (or possibly Irish) bank account. The thing is that I'm going to Italy on Monday and I'll be away for two weeks. We are taking a laptop with us in case I actually get any help but I never trust hotels' wi-fi networks to actually work anymore.....

Dang, I was so looking forward to this.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »

:-[
Right now it seems very unlikely that I'll get to Witney (which I've been looking forward to since Melodeons & more). Swedish banks don't do cheques anymore so I HAVE TO get an internet payment option. I've e-mailed the site and Dave Townsend (as Chas told me to) but I don't have much hope that they'll dig up the details I need before it's too late. For Mendlesham, even if I asked for specific details, the only thing I got was sort code and account number which only helps if I have a British (or possibly Irish) bank account. The thing is that I'm going to Italy on Monday and I'll be away for two weeks. We are taking a laptop with us in case I actually get any help but I never trust hotels' wi-fi networks to actually work anymore.....

Dang, I was so looking forward to this.
Susi, I've sent you a PM
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »

Right now it seems very unlikely that I'll get to Witney (which I've been looking forward to since Melodeons & more). Swedish banks don't do cheques anymore so I HAVE TO get an internet payment option.

My experience is that the banks are very greedy in such matters - a cheque to a Parisienne copine for an air ticket cost her Eu15 just to pay in. The RBS fees on £85 worth of St Chartier tickets for my family the following year came to 30% of total  :Ph

For small sums I now keep a stock of euro notes and simply put them in a letter. The Impro courses in the Ardeche are Eu500+ - but once organisers know you they are happy to trust a foreigner and get cash on the day. So I'd register your interest with Dave to reserve a place and negotiate something practicable - eg he might be happy with a 10% deposit in banknotes and cash later - or even trust you completely. I'm sure he'll takes the view that European visitors enrich such events - as do I.

Be assured that even the Italians have internet cafes (watch outfor those cafe longo's) But I get an impression that Dave prefers post to email - good luck.
  _       _    _      _ 

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »

My husband is taking his laptop, and somewhere there HAS to be a working wi-fi. However, I've already received some very kind offers from people here on the forum to help. It seems that the true friends in this world are the melodeon players!! Thanks guys!!!!

I WILL be there!!

By the way, I always stay away from caffè lungo. Espresso and cappuccino are ruling my life!!!!!  8)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2010, 11:35:43 PM »

Look forward to seeing people. Can't remember what courses I'm doing due to Numptyness  ::)
 (:)

philipm

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »

having dwelled  as a guest in these parameters for the last 18 months, i have pushed myself into a formal registration. i attended witney last year and i am still applying the techniques i learned on those 2 days. when i have further ambition, i attempt the other stuff on the cds.
i have been playing for ( i think) 14 months, having been inspired by tim van eyken's warhorse performance in london.
i stayed at the fleece last year (excellent)
am staying at witney hotel this year as the fleece is fully booked due to wedding.
often restricted by an inherent nervousness in social gatherings, i still managed to drink too much beer with a meldeon acquaintance in the fleece bar following saturday concert.
sunday was consequently bemusing.
am looking forward to liam and saul's workshops, however i am
still undecided about what i want to play in my box playing lifetime.
see you all there.
philip

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2010, 10:34:51 PM »

having dwelled  as a guest in these parameters for the last 18 months, i have pushed myself into a formal registration.
philip

Hi philip - welcome to non-lurkdom!
Hopefully we'll have a member badge sorted by then & you can meet others here with confidence! ;)
I look forward to meeting you there.
Best wishes
Chris

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2010, 10:44:18 PM »

Looks like its "apologies for absence" this year!  :(
Definitely miss meeting up woth you all again.  :||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|glug :|||: :||: :|glug :|glug :|glug :|glug :|glug :M
Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

mab

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »

Also de-lurking. This will be my first Melodeons at Witney. Have only been playing since March so am a little nervous but really looking forward to it. I'm down for A1 and B4.

Could anyone reccommend any cheap B&B's since I'm coming down from Edinburgh and travel is adding to costs as it is. Currently I'm considering either camping or Youth Hostel and getting public transport in.

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »

A big YAY, I have my booking done and the payment thing sorted out (THANKS STEVE), so I'll be there!!!!!!!!
The next little problem that came up, which I expected but didn't have it confirmed until this week, is food. Where do people go to eat and what kind of food is available there? I got the news this week that I'm confirmed gluten intolerant. I don't remember much about English food, but should I be prepared that I may have a problem to find anything I can eat?

Ga

• Good talker
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2010, 08:13:27 AM »

Hi Susi,
there is no food at the school, although there is Tea/Coffee, and space to eat your own picnic.
There are several cafes, pubs and restaurants in the town - 3-5 minutes walk away in town.  There's a pub almost opposite the school. 1 minute away. 
There is a "Waitrose" supermarket, if you want to buy things for your own picnic and take it back to the school.   (just in case you're not familiar with "Waitrose" - it's a higher quality supermarket, usually with a nice Deli area, and usually a special section for people with special dietary needs - although this tends to be dry goods such as Gluten-Free pasta, bread, flour, biscuits, cake etc).
You may struggle to find Gluten-Free sandwiches, or Pizza, but most food establishments will be sympathetic to your needs - Gluten intollerance and awareness of it is rising.  Many pubs, cafes and restaurants will have an icon next to special menu items: v = vegetarian, n = may contain nuts, gf = Gluten-free.   You could also ask the waiter to omit a certain item from a dish, or ask for a substitute if it would cause you problems.   Mainly it's a case of inspecting the menu outside the establishment, and checking for yourself.

Top tips from my mate who is very Gluten intollerant:-
1. Buy a GF bread loaf, then surf the supermarket to build your own picnic. 
2. If you need an adjustment to a dish in a restaurant, if the waiter seems uncertain - explain quietly that you are Gluten-intollerant and that's why you're asking for the change - people seem more keen to help when they know you are not just being awkward.   Chefs or waiters will often suggest an alternative.
3. Possibly take your own GF muesli for breakfast if you're in a hotel or B&B.
4. Always have a small pack of GF biscuits or muesli bars handy - just in case you really can't find anything for a while, at least then you won't starve.

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2010, 08:46:28 AM »

Thanks Ga - whatever happens it can't be as bad as when we drove through Germany. The only thing I dared to eat was McDonald's fries (which may not even be 100% gluten free) and a horrific salad. If there's a good super market around I'll be fine, and in England at least I can communicate with people! As opposed to Germany...... :(

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2010, 09:00:15 AM »

Thanks Ga - whatever happens it can't be as bad as when we drove through Germany. The only thing I dared to eat was McDonald's fries (which may not even be 100% gluten free) and a horrific salad. If there's a good super market around I'll be fine, and in England at least I can communicate with people! As opposed to Germany...... :(

I got my lunch from boots last time and they do nice salads and being health & beauty kinda place might offer gluten free. I've never looked closely myself.

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »

Can anyone tell me when the music/notes and cd arrive for Witney? Also. is there a session on the friday again?
Can't remember what units I'm doing. :|bl

Cheers
Sandy

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »

Can anyone tell me when the music/notes and cd arrive for Witney? Also. is there a session on the friday again?
Can't remember what units I'm doing. :|bl

Cheers
Sandy
Music and CD usually arrive in the information pack about the last week in October, so not much longer to wait, Sandy.
Session: I truly don't know whether there will be one this year. There probably will be one, but you will have to wait until you receive the pack for full details. Last year, sheer numbers of participants led Dave Townsend to hold it in the school rather than try to get a pub to take us all. I suspect that might be the case this time.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2010, 05:40:38 PM »

Morning : "Rumpy-Pumpy" (Style) with Jeanie Harris:  :|bl "Goody" One row Techniques. East Anglian tunes
Afternoon : Same Row, Different Key, with Liam Robinson :  Well known tunes on a D row or D/G different keys "Ooh Er ? "  :|bl  :|bl

Chas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal