Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: whitby folk week  (Read 25941 times)

george garside

whitby folk week
« on: June 19, 2010, 01:45:54 PM »

an update on Whitby Folk week for those going or thinking about going.! dates 221 -27 august.  melodeon players will include Pete Coe, Tony Hall, John Kirkpatrick,Brian Peters & Dan Quinnthere will also be ppiano accordion bods  around. 

I will be doing 4 linked DG beginners workshops mon to thurs and a separate intermediate workshop on the friday (slow airs) in the Stakesby Arms  and lead sessions monday & tues 1 -3pm in the middle earth pub both 'well known tunes at a steady pacegiving everybody the chance to join in' - all types of instrument welcome. Ifg anyone wants to try a BCC# or find dout a bit more about the system I willbe happy to meet up for an informal chat/workshop or whatever wilol also be happy to help any BC beginners for the price of a pint!

there will be a choice of other lead  sessions everyday  & spontaneous sessions all wee

commercial camp sites not plentiful bu for  season ;ticket holders only festival site on ;school graounds in town walking diatance of everything and for non ticket holders Moor & Coast will be running a temporay site aagain within walaking distance (google moor & coast). Digs may be scarce for 1st weekend as Whitby Regatta is also taking place.

more info on festival website.
george ;D

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
Re: whitby folk week
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »

Hi

Just to let everyone know,If you want to try the Manfrini accordions I have a trade stand this year,I hope to have the new Manfrini BC melodeon and the new 3 voice 72 bass piano accordion for you to try also.
Any fiddle players going,especially those in bands I am also agent for Bridge Instruments and their new electric acoustic range,4 and 5 string are superb.

Come and see me and introduce yourselves.

Pete
Acorn Instruments

PS Will also be at Fylde Festival
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »

an update on Whitby Folk week for those going or thinking about going.! dates 221 -27 august. 

<snip>

I will be doing 4 linked DG beginners workshops mon to thurs and a separate intermediate workshop on the friday (slow airs) in the Stakesby Arms  and lead sessions monday & tues 1 -3pm in the middle earth pub both 'well known tunes at a steady pacegiving everybody the chance to join in' - all types of instrument welcome.

Thanks for the info George.

Shame you're only doing the two Middle Earth sessions. Didn't you do more than that last year?

John

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:40:09 PM »

I'm in Whitby all week! ... anyone wanting to have a go at any of my stuff .. find me (Chiltern 100's Morris) and im very happy to share any knowledge / techniques etc .. and hopefully learn from you too!
Derek
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 11:25:17 PM »

I'll be there too, in the trade fair as usual with some secondhand instruments for sale, gig bags, straps and other accessories, and doing repairs. In previous years I've replaced broken reeds, swapped low notes for accidentals and vice versa, replaced broken springs,  fixed air leaks, patched bellows, tuned the occasional out of tune reed etc.  I'll do anything I can at the festival.  Bigger repair jobs can be delivered to me at the festival and I will take home to work on. 

I'll also be selling instruments on commission, not just melodeons, also concertinas and piano accordions and any other instrument.  These can be brought to me at the festival, or beforehand.  I charge 15% on the sale price, no sale, no fee.

The Trade Fair is once again housed in the Leisure Centre at the landward side of the west Cliff car park and is open all week.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:44:46 AM »

How about a Melnetters Whitby week bash/meet/session/meal/whatever?

I'll be there Monday to Friday, staying on the Moor and Coast campsite. Anyone else braving  the M&C showers? (shudders).

John

george garside

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »

have camped on moor & coast site many times when it was used by whitby folk week & also for moor ;& coast festival.  - the showers aare far better than the trickle you get out of the 'portaloo' veriety at stakesby school site .  plenty of hot water coming through good size pipes - just needs all the showers turning on if you are first there to draw the hot water throught he system.

george

george garside

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »

it wasa tried a few years ago & if I remember correctly only 4 of us turned up!   - 'Hands up' anybody who would like to organise or come to such a gathering - The Elsinore pub is usually pretty quiet in th;e afternoons.

george

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 06:58:50 PM »

it wasa tried a few years ago & if I remember correctly only 4 of us turned up! 

Sorry. I didn't know it had been a wash-out when tried before.

John

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »

I'll be in Whitby for the whole week, playing for Silkstone Greens NorthWest.  Come and say hello.  I doubt if I could commit to any melnet gathering as I am heavily committed, but if someone organises one I might be able to pitch up.
Guy

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »

I'll be there Monday to Friday, staying on the Moor and Coast campsite. Anyone else braving  the M&C showers? (shudders).

John

The job is yours if you want to organise it!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »

Already wishing the Summer away till it's Whitby week. How sad.  
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 01:48:51 AM »

melodeon players will include Pete Coe, Tony Hall, John Kirkpatrick,Brian Peters & Dan Quinn

george ;D

Rod Stradling tells me he is going to be there - with his current band, Phoenix, I think.

Diane

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »

John

The job is yours if you want to organise it!

That wouldn't be a problem, just a case of checking out a venue, and posting times etc on here, but it would be pointless if no-one's going to turn up.

John

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »

......will also be ppiano accordion bods  around ..........
george ;D

Those ones are very, very, quiet! (little musical joke there) BLT  ;D
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »

Those ones are very, very, quiet!   ;D

If only...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »

I could probably make the Elsinore some afternoon -it beats falling asleep in the flat!  :||: :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »

We could even have a special Yorkshire melnetters caucus. Passports and visas required for anyone who can't recite the Tyke's Motto  ;D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:47:43 PM by Johnjo »

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »

Motto sold at all musician-friendly hostelries attended by yours truly. Become a real Tyke!  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

george garside

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »

I could probably make the Elsinore some afternoon -it beats falling asleep in the flat!  :||: :||:

preferably not monday or tuesday as i will be 'middle earthing'  could bring a BCC# if anybody wants to have a dabble!

george

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal