Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LMMH boxes in C#/D, D/C#  (Read 2924 times)

pgroff

LMMH boxes in C#/D, D/C#
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »

Hi all,

Some time ago there was a thread here on four-voice B/C accordions with reeds in LMMH:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,2753.0.html

I think there was agreement that this voicing is much rarer in two-row than in one-row boxes.  The general question of the rarity of "Irish style" two row boxes with LMMH led to discussion of accordions designed for Irish music, but with the rows in other keys than B/C.

But since the title of that thread specified B/C, I thought it would be best to start a new thread for the two-row boxes with a D row, voiced LMMH.

Here is the D/C# 19-key LMMH O'Byrne DeWitt Paolo I mentioned in the earlier thread, grille-off as I like to play it at home, alongside a Saltarelle Shamrock C#/D LMMH. Both accordions were designed to have all the pallets for their respective D rows open the row of holes that are most exposed, away from the keyboard, so the D row of each accordion has a lot of crackling "presence."  That's an unrestored Globe melodeon in back, also in LMMH.  The Saltarelle is no lightweight, but really a nice instrument, and should be even better with a few modifications I have in mind:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:31:33 PM by pgroff »

Lars

Re: LMMH boxes in C#/D, D/C#
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 05:05:35 PM »

Lovely picture, Paul. Thanks for sharing!

A friend of mine plays a somewhat similar Saltarelle, though 8 bass and 23 keys (Tara model), but still LMMH, with the "inside row of buttons for outside row of pallets" - a system I think was standard on many saltarelles, or at least all the 3 or more voice models of the butterfly-sticker era. A very nice and responsive box, and a great sound with all 4 voices going.

I've only ever seen one 19 key 4 voice paolo in the flesh, owned by a mutual friend and mel-netter, and what a machine. His grey one is LMMM though, and the coupler mechanism operates the low voice. I presume your black has MM and LMMH options only, as with the LMMH Baldonis?
Those little boxes are, in my opinion, the perfect size for D/C# playing - though my own 19 key baldoni is small, it's not nearly as easy to haul around as the grey 19/4 D/C# mentioned.

Would that Globe be a Gold Medal?

pgroff

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »

Lars wrote: I presume your black has MM and LMMH options only, as with the LMMH Baldonis?

Yes, just using the 2 couplers and the stock set-up ... But of course a couple of strips of paper under selected banks of reeds could change the coupler into selecting MM vs LMM, or MM vs MMH ..... or you could use that method to get LH, LMH, etc. out of it fairly simply and reversibly.  The L and H reeds are tuned straight and the MM reeds are tuned high and low, so LMH options are pretty raw.

Lars wrote:  Those little boxes are, in my opinion, the perfect size for D/C# playing - though my own 19 key baldoni is small, it's not nearly as easy to haul around as the grey 19/4 D/C# mentioned.

Well we can always find room for improvement... It is really a nice box but if this model were still in production I would have a list of suggestions to make it more useful while trying to keep its quality.

Lars wrote: Would that Globe be a Gold Medal?

Yes, the pallets are gold-plated and those words (though faded) are on the bellows frames. Needs a total restoration, but IIRC the reeds are good.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »

Paul what was the standard reed setup for the Globe's including the specials.  Was it LMMH?  Thanks!
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

pgroff

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 06:20:38 PM »

Paul what was the standard reed setup for the Globe's including the specials.  Was it LMMH?  Thanks!

ajay,

I'm no expert on these.... have seen a few, but Stephen, Ray, Lars, and others here must know more.

The 1 -row D accordions of this type (Globes, Internationals, and similar high quality melodeons) I have seen have usually been MM when 2 -voice, and LMMH when 4 - voice. I have seen a couple nice 4 voice 1-row Internationals in G that were MMHH (assuming you consider low G, as in a G/C, a "M" reed, not high G as in a D/G).  That's a lovely sound and one of those is the earliest O'Byrne DeWitt accordion I've seen.

PG

melodeon

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 01:10:51 AM »

'The Saltarelle is no lightweight, but really a nice instrument, and should be even better with a few modifications I have in mind:'

So, Paul,   please expound.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:51:51 AM »

Would love to hear one of those boxes configured MMHH. 
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

pgroff

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 03:21:23 AM »

Would love to hear one of those boxes configured MMHH.  

Better start another thread!

Here:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,4354.0.html

David Colpitts

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »

Hello.

I am just getting into my Baldoni-Bartoli 19 button D/C# box, and in my research discovered this thread.  Mine is about ‘53 or’54, cream/light green, and has what seems odd:  switch for full on LMMH which is wet, or switch for two only, in LH, quite dry.  Made for the Irish/American market, and I love it, save the weight (ten plus pounds) works on my arms and shoulders.  Can’t get it strapped right/held right.  The easiest on my arms and shoulders seems to be strapped up snug to my chest, but that leaves my right arm crowded in and seems bent up too much for the long haul.  I probably should have posted this to another thread, but am curious about this type of box for all sorts of reasons.  I even took it apart to see if without two treble blocks and bass block it would be a much lighter D/C#, but surprisingly that only got it to 9 pounds.  I’ll save this beauty for home, and only out for special occasions.

Regards,

David

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal