Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serenellini 213K  (Read 4153 times)

Steve

Serenellini 213K
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »

I would be interested in views on the Serenellini 213K. Anyone have any direct experience of one?

Many thanks,
Steve

george garside

Re: Serenellini 213K
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »

I would be interested in views on the Serenellini 213K. Anyone have any direct experience of one?

Many thanks,
Steve
[/quote

I have had one for about 8 years  and  though used a great deal it has been totally reliable, needed no attention whatsoever     & is reasonably priced for a 3 voice box.  I also like the  sound it makes which is probably the most important single factor in choosing a box.  The only criticism I have is that the bass buttons are a bit on the heavyside but I  neutralised  one set of bass reeds many years ago resulting in lighter bass action & to me a nicer bass sound.( I like the bass to provide an  unobtrusive rhythmic rumble in the background!)

But -like with any box - try before you buy!!

george

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »

Many thanks George. based on that I might wander over and try it out  :)

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 03:59:05 AM »

It's certainly well worth a try, it has a real 'bark' that many other italian boxes just don't have to my ears.  I found the buttons rather hard work and got Theo to weaken the springs a little, this may be a personal idiosyncracy but the other melodeon player for my morris side who plays a Castagnari Mory agreed that the buttons were stiffer than his.  All in all I'm very pleased I bought it.

george garside

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:04:38 AM »

It's certainly well worth a try, it has a real 'bark' that many other italian boxes just don't have to my ears.  I found the buttons rather hard work and got Theo to weaken the springs a little, this may be a personal idiosyncracy but the other melodeon player for my morris side who plays a Castagnari Mory agreed that the buttons were stiffer than his.  All in all I'm very pleased I bought it.

I certainly found the bass  a bit heavy to press delicately (if this is not a contradiction)  simply cured by lifting part of the bass mechanism out of the way -  both pressure required reduced and for me anyway a better balance between bass & treble - others who have tried it seem to like the bass particularly .

it fitted my 3 point criteria for choosing a box

1. I could afford it!
2. I was immediately attracted to the sound it made
2. compared with other boxes of same price (& some more expensive ones) the action, bellows etc felt good( with the exeption of the 'sortable' heavy to press bass)
    -  It also had the 'bonus' of a switchable low reed set, which is usually the preserve of more expensive boxes.

george.
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 07:37:17 PM »

Well I went for it and despite the fact that the previous owner obviously had a sticking key and did some minor damage to the keyboard it plays and sounds well  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal