Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Accordina?  (Read 11995 times)

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
Accordina?
« on: June 26, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »

Does anyone have any experience of these?http://www.accordinas.com/index.php?lg=1&rbq=4
I would be interested to know how people have got on with them. Nice (and slightly curious) looking things.

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
Re: Accordina?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:01:03 AM »

Interesting instrument, but they're quite expensive.
I didn't read anything about the tuning. I don't understand the part about "The black buttons correspond to the alteration like on a piano" for a diatonic instrument. On some of the recordings it sounds very similar to a (much cheaper) harmonica. And wouldn't the piano accordina which is "being studied" be a melodica?
BTW there's a question to the maker about the piano accordina on the forum which hasn't been answered yet after 6 months.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »

it sounds very similar to a (much cheaper) harmonica

Agreed - a good quality chromatic harmonica would be better sounding, probably easier to play and certainly much, much cheaper. Can't see much of a market for 'em. And Simon's right - we've discussed these before. And although I was quite taken with them when I first saw one, I don't quite 'get it' now.
AL

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 11:03:24 AM »

Thanks Al, I found the thread about these. Don't know how I missed/forgot it, it was only last October!! ::)

LJC

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »

Looks like a chrmatic version of the Hohnerette (spelling?).

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »

Well I discovered this on youtube when I first discovered Richard Galliano.  To me The things are amazing!   Perhaps a harmonica would be a better choice but I think the things are chromatic and a chromatic player like Mr Galliano might have an advantage with this instrument rather than having to learn the nuanced approach to Harmonica, which to me is much more different than the accordion technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RuCP0M1Wa0
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:11:16 PM by ajay38 »
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 02:38:53 PM »

Thanks ajay, that is just the kind of thing I was looking for.

Tim

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 06:01:55 PM »

According to the original link above:

"The diato accordina is a 2004 button accordina."

That is one ship load of buttons  :o

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 09:50:15 PM »

I am struck by how close they sound to a top quality chromatic harmonica played by a master, the main difference being about a thousand euros.

Steve

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
Re: Accordina?-Vibrandoneon
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 03:54:28 AM »

Folks: Hope this is not breaking the thread drift rule, but another interesting similar instrument is the vibrandoneon which is available in piano key and button versions. I bought a CD of vibrandoneon music and it is really an interesting sound. Guido Tonini, a jazz player is probably the most well known player.

http://www.myspace.com/guidotononi

This link is very slow to open.  The instruments are made by the Victoria Accordion company, who apparantly make some very high end accordions of all systems.
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
Re: Accordina?-Vibrandoneon
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 01:08:46 PM »

Folks: Hope this is not breaking the thread drift rule, but another interesting similar instrument is the vibrandoneon which is available in piano key and button versions. I bought a CD of vibrandoneon music and it is really an interesting sound. Guido Tonini, a jazz player is probably the most well known player.

http://www.myspace.com/guidotononi

This link is very slow to open.  The instruments are made by the Victoria Accordion company, who apparantly make some very high end accordions of all systems.

I'm not sure that they make them any more. I was lucky enough to buy a C-system button one on a trip to Castelfidardo about 5 years ago. It was there in their shop, saying "buy me, buy me"...well, you just have to! I'd be very interested to see how anyone else has got on with them....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 09:11:34 PM »

Guy, out of interest, how are you getting on with yours?

Tim

Guy

• Cats Claw
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »

Tim

I think I can safely say it needs work! As I used to play the clarinet and still play harmonica, the change from squeezing to blowing wasn't a problem, but I'm primarily a diatonic player, so a button CBA style layout was a challenge (shall we say). It's fun to play, and eventually I hope to get fluent enough on it to play it out, but when I'm practicing I tend to concentrate on one of the other boxes as there are just too many tunes I want to learn, too much technique I don't have, and too little time....I do find though that it seems to lend itself to a different style of playing, and I can see why it's favoured by jazz musicians in the main. As someone remarked once (on this site, I think), "every box knows different tunes"...

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »

I've always rather wanted one. But sadly they are about 90% more than I would be prepared to pay for one :( Some day. I think I've got a saved search on eBay...
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 08:12:25 AM »

Not exactly the same, but the Hohner melodica soprano or the tenor are around 60 euro.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »

Hohner to the rescue!
I bought a melodica soprano over 30 years ago, and still use it today, I find it useful when a harmonica sound is needed in a song.

Also, there are models with piano keys, they are listed in the "Hohner Kids" section:
Student Melodica S32

Melodica S32R

And they are not expensive at all!
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

HallelujahAl

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 05:22:45 PM »

Hohner are good - though not as good in my opinion as Suzuki melodians have a look at the video! OK a bit more expensive than a hohner - but then you get what you pay for!
AL ;D

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »

Tim

I think I can safely say it needs work! As I used to play the clarinet and still play harmonica, the change from squeezing to blowing wasn't a problem, but I'm primarily a diatonic player, so a button CBA style layout was a challenge (shall we say). It's fun to play, and eventually I hope to get fluent enough on it to play it out, but when I'm practicing I tend to concentrate on one of the other boxes as there are just too many tunes I want to learn, too much technique I don't have, and too little time....I do find though that it seems to lend itself to a different style of playing, and I can see why it's favoured by jazz musicians in the main. As someone remarked once (on this site, I think), "every box knows different tunes"...

Cheers,
Guy

Thanks Guy,
the reason I'm interested in these is that I'm a much better Sax player than I ever will be on the box and this looked like a way of putting techniques from these two instruments together.. a bit? I have had a melodica in the past but I don't know my way around a piano keyboard with confidence. However, as everyone says these do seem to be really expensive for what they are. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a cheap one... or see if the family fancy a holiday in Castelfidardo next year!!

Cheers,
Tim

Guy

• Cats Claw
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 12:47:06 PM »

Thanks Guy,
the reason I'm interested in these is that I'm a much better Sax player than I ever will be on the box and this looked like a way of putting techniques from these two instruments together.. a bit? I have had a melodica in the past but I don't know my way around a piano keyboard with confidence. However, as everyone says these do seem to be really expensive for what they are. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a cheap one... or see if the family fancy a holiday in Castelfidardo next year!!

Cheers,
Tim

I wouldn't have said it was particularly expensive, as it's beautifully made (only what you'd expect from Victoria Accordions). Also, as I bought it from their shop and carried it home as hand luggage it was cheaper than buying it through a dealer/importer/shop.

You could also sell the idea of a holiday visit to an unspoilt rural part of Italy, which is entirely true. I was taken as a birthday present...and my partner enjoyed the trip so much we went back there as part of our honeymoon. Needless to say, both times I came back with instruments....hence my inability to play the organetto properly, either...

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 04:27:13 PM »

Hohner are good - though not as good in my opinion as Suzuki melodians have a look at the video! OK a bit more expensive than a hohner - but then you get what you pay for!
AL ;D
Of course, there are better instruments of that type, but as my posting said, Hohner comes to the rescue when price is an issue!

Strange fact, they call their instrument S32 too...
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal