Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for July 2010 - Music You Wouldn't Expect on a Melodeon  (Read 26844 times)

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning

I'm not sure if this qualifies, but who's judging anyway..... Couple of weeks back, my bother-in-law Frank was visiting. Had not seen him for ten years. Frank is a professional actor who lives in New York City, and, as a hobby, is quite interested in playing and singing the old style 'Country and Western'  songs. We were sitting in the living room, exchanging songs, he on guitar, and I on my Hohner Pokerwork. Just for fun, I brought out my little digital recorder.
   I caught a track of him playing guitar and singing, and after we listened to it, we added another guitar track, and then Frank asked me to add a background track with the Hohner. So really, the melodeon on this one is just a light gloss, no solos, but I thought it might be of interest. Tune was written by Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame member Wayne Kemp, called The Image of Me

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=22893

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert

So really, the melodeon on this one is just a light gloss,

Sorry, but for me it stole the show. Delightfully laid back and stylish. American country music really isn't my thing in a general sense although I do admire the skill of many of the musicians involved.

Keep moving forward j.w.f. Your road may be longer, straighter and narrower than most but you tread it very well.

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

waltzman

Here is some tasty blues on a three row:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwFr--TG_KY&feature=related

cboody

A friend of mine tells me of a jam she was at where a little old lady showed up with a PA.  She sat quietly and joined in a bit as the group worked its way through a bunch of standard traditional music jam tunes.  Then somebody asked her. "Would you like to suggest a tune?" The little old lady thought for a minute and replied, "How about 'Luck in the Sky with Diamonds?"

Just goes to show....

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

Here is my contribution, Summer Time, composed by George Gershwin for the 1935 opera Porgy and Bess. Played in A Minor on a Hohner G/C melodeon refurbished by Mike Rowbotham.

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=24332

SteveC

• Regular debater

Summertime - I like it Lester!
That box has a lovely tone that suits the tune well

forrest

Keep moving forward j.w.f. Your road may be longer, straighter and narrower than most but you tread it very well.
Pete.

Thanks for the comment....er compliment, (prophecy?) Pete....I will endeavor to continue! ;D
 Country and Western is not my delight either, but the things we do for our in-laws. ;) I do rather like this theme of the month and intend to concoct something a bit more cheerful! Cheers....jwf

GbH

• GbH Online

I'm not sure if this qualifies, but who's judging anyway.....

From your initial text description alone, I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy that.  But, as it turned out, I thought it was really well done.  Indeed, it was something of a novelty (at least for me) to hear a box being used in that context.  Thanks.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'

Here is my contribution, Summer Time, composed by George Gershwin for the 1935 opera Porgy and Bess. Played in A Minor on a Hohner G/C melodeon refurbished by Mike Rowbotham.

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=24332

Thank you Lester. Lovely and I love the sound of the box. You were too quick for me, I was halfway through working this out in Em.
Doh , might need a plan B ::)

cheers
Sandy
 (:)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods

When I get home I am going to record mine (:) I've thought of a good one.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage

The Image of Me

Although I am no fan of C&W this was great, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Summer Time

Top stuff. 

Thank-you both, and in jwf's case, to Frank as well.

Guy

melod-ian

• Respected Sage

pick up the pieces is a good one, its been done by The Zydeco Playboys but it could be problematic on a 2row melodeon.

i might just stick with the hustle.. ;D (disco smiley needed)
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

forrest

OK, another offering. This time it's a Mambo. (You all certainly remember the mambo craze, right?) This one has many names, the original is Cerisier rose et pommier blanc, written by Louis Guglielmi, made popular by bandleader Perez Prado. It is also called Cereza rosa, and in Finnish, it is known as Kaksi ruusua. This is a multi-tracked recording featuring guitar, ukulele, click track, and Hero 7 key melodeon, (with one set of treble reeds blocked).

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=24571

Chris Brimley

Lovely stuff, jwf!  Deceptively simple, and beautifully played!

DRUMKILBO

Very nice,jwf, I've always known it as 'Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White' from a recording by Eddie Calvert.

Ian

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music

Sweet!!!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions

Very nice,jwf, I've always known it as 'Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White' from a recording by Eddie Calvert.

Ian

My late father's favourite tune.

Lovely version, jwf.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

folkman

• Respected Sage
  • ale, morris and melodeon

One of my all-time favourite tunes from the early 50's was 'Theme from Moulin Rouge' by, among others, Mantovani and his Orchestra. This I would love to hear melodeon-based! Anyone willing?  ???
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

'Theme from Moulin Rouge' by, among others, Mantovani and his Orchestra. This I would love to hear melodeon-based! Anyone willing?  ???

Chris Parkinson plays this,  its on his CD "Parky"
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

folkman

• Respected Sage
  • ale, morris and melodeon

'Theme from Moulin Rouge' by, among others, Mantovani and his Orchestra. This I would love to hear melodeon-based! Anyone willing?  ???

Chris Parkinson plays this,  its on his CD "Parky"
Thanks Theo, I may buy that!
Hohner Pokerwork D/G
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal