Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Reworking website front page  (Read 17729 times)

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
Re: Reworking website front page
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 03:31:28 PM »

That is why even though I like the countryside for a holiday...I couldn't live there.

And I feel the same way about the city, except for the "holiday" part....
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 03:53:57 PM »

As (probably) a minority still using dial up, the more glitz and glamour per page, the slower the viewing experience so anything which trims time taken to scan topics the better - another forum I am a member of offers a choice of 'pretty' or plain text and for the real slowcoach connection members can send out a 'Digest' version where all each days postings are sent as a single item (I think as a byproduct of a daily archiving routine),

There is no facility for a digest version by email, but there is a text only version, designed for mobiles, but works well on slower connections to a computer.  Its here http://forum.melodeon.net/?wap2 , as you would expect it is much simplified,  I use it on my phone, and miss the 'quote' option when replying,  but it is much faster to load.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 03:56:47 PM »

As (probably) a minority still using dial up, the more glitz and glamour per page, the slower the viewing experience so anything which trims time taken to scan topics the better - another forum I am a member of offers a choice of 'pretty' or plain text and for the real slowcoach connection members can send out a 'Digest' version where all each days postings are sent as a single item (I think as a byproduct of a daily archiving routine),

There is no facility for a digest version by email, but there is a text only version, designed for mobiles, but works well on slower connections to a computer.  Its here http://forum.melodeon.net/?wap2 , as you would expect it is much simplified,  I use it on my phone, and miss the 'quote' option when replying,  but it is much faster to load.
On the fiddle forum I'm on they use same software but in wap mode you can still 'edit' your posts which you can't do on melnet (which explains all my typos when posting from my phone). Is there a way to activate it?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »

Hmm - months since I looked at frontpage - how much fuss is this worth?  I'd see it as a shop window for newbies - although I somehow stubled straight into the forum area. So it need IMHO to be tight and graphical. Plenty of white blue space.

BTW - tried the 'video's section and it looks rather stultified. Is there any reason we can't make our own index onto youtube and co - sort of a database with sort by genre, rows, key, tune name etc? If it can't be done in HTML a downloadable excel file would franky do it.

.. back to work
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »

Hmm - months since I looked at frontpage - how much fuss is this worth?  I'd see it as a shop window for newbies - although I somehow stubled straight into the forum area. So it need IMHO to be tight and graphical. Plenty of white blue space.

BTW - tried the 'video's section and it looks rather stultified. Is there any reason we can't make our own index onto youtube and co - sort of a database with sort by genre, rows, key, tune name etc? If it can't be done in HTML a downloadable excel file would franky do it.

.. back to work

Oh! Look a volunteer

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 05:34:37 PM »

We had a volunteer looking after the video links, but he's not been active recently.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »

On the fiddle forum I'm on they use same software but in wap mode you can still 'edit' your posts which you can't do on melnet (which explains all my typos when posting from my phone). Is there a way to activate it?

It may be because Fiddle forum are using a newer version of the SMF software.

We are using SMF 1.1.11, Fiddle Forum are using SMF 2.0 which is still a beta version.  I'm sticking with Clive's advice not to upgrade till 2.0 is officially released.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »

That is why even though I like the countryside for a holiday...I couldn't live there. Gotta have my broadband, TV and phone signal.

I thought that a broadband dongle would be the answer LdT, O2 signal is poor for phone, Voda better so I bought one of theirs, on a bad dial up day its faster but not much...

I was not joking about anything much (other than being the parish broadband user at the whim of the Honeycart man praps) but for the upside of living with little traffic, no fumes, no drunks after closing time, no mounds of discarded fast food rubbish, no radio interference, dark sky at night and all the other reasons we are so lucky to be living here, you have to have a whinge at the daft things sometimes  (:)  (:)  (:)

Richard
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »

OK, we're up - we now have a new front page and website!

Enjoy!

Clive

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 12:46:17 AM »

Just below the page banner is a list Website Home - Forum Home - Old Forums ..... The page you are on is highlighted in lighter blue

Oh, right - I understand... not sure I can fix that easily tbh.

Yep, looked into it. Hard to fix 'properly' - the forum software/website forgets where you are as soon as you start navigating, so I think it'll have to stay as it is for now. The only thing I could do is disable the highlight in the bar altogether, which tempting as it is, is probably a step backwards. We do want to emphasise the forums after all.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 05:32:29 AM »

Like the new look! Many thanks for all your hard work.
AL

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 09:16:24 AM »

I think the new look is great too. Very welcoming for newcomers. A great job well done, pat yourself on your back .

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 09:38:10 AM »

Yup - looks just fine. Though I'd excise  "This is our new website, integrated into our discussion forum."

While it might have relevance to the hardworking coders 'new website' will mean absolutely nothing to a potential new recruit discivering the the site while surfing the web.
  _       _    _      _ 

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »

Yup - looks just fine. Though I'd excise  "This is our new website, integrated into our discussion forum."

While it might have relevance to the hardworking coders 'new website' will mean absolutely nothing to a potential new recruit discivering the the site while surfing the web.

Good point - done.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »

Wow, bit of a shock this morning when it all looked different, but it's good! Looks much more active now, and that can only be a good thing  ;D

seinegydd

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2010, 09:55:23 PM »

Good redesign - but what character encoding are you using? On my screen I see quite a bit of rubbish, which I can't get looking sensible even by playing around with Character Encoding. (I'm using Firefox.)
I'd send you a jpg of what I can see if I knew how to attach one.
An example is on page http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,keyboard_25_row.html, where I see "The 2½ row melodeon" and "• D/G 21+5 buttons Saltarelle Layout".
Please use Unicode (standard for HTML 4), or otherwise declare in the header what you are using.
If you're composing web pages a Mac, please remember that some of the default encoding on a Mac is not Unicode and that most people don't use Macs.
John Wells (seinegydd)
j.wells@ucl.ac.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »

.. view source

Code: [Select]
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
UTF-8 is supposed to be able to represent all unicode characters and is current web 'norm'. I think the SMF interface rules out a few characters though - I've had the cyphers for 'natural' 'diminished' etc altered on occasion - and these are valid Unicode.

btw - I get the same garbage as john on his example page

[edit] - yipee - standard music notation characters have started to work! See http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,4564.0.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:48:34 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2010, 10:35:57 PM »

Tidy job, well done Clive.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »

An example is on page http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,keyboard_25_row.html, where I see "The 2½ row melodeon" and "• D/G 21+5 buttons Saltarelle Layout".

I see the same.   Somehow the HTML tags for bulleted lists have been replaced by these garbage characters.  The files need editing.
John Wells (seinegydd)
j.wells@ucl.ac.uk

BTW John it is unnecessary to include your email in posts unless you prefer it to be visible to the whole www, its available to anyone logged in via the mail link to the left of every post.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »

I see the same.   Somehow the HTML tags for bulleted lists have been replaced by these garbage characters.  The files need editing.

These pages should be ok now, please report any other errors you find.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal