Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meh! Too hot for boxes?  (Read 1599 times)

GbH

• GbH Online
Meh! Too hot for boxes?
« on: July 18, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed a recurring problem, which has happened once again today.  The air button on my Mengascini suddenly starts to click and then gets jammed open.  When opening the bass end and having a fiddle, the problem is obvious - the the wooden block and pad that covers the hole has moved slightly and is getting stuck on a wood ledge at the corner of the casing.  The only reason I can find that suggests why this is happening is that the wax holding the block in position is sometimes getting soft (from the heat...), thus allowing the the block to travel along the metal arm that it's attached too and consequently ending up out of place. 

It's easy to fix the problem temporarily - just move the block back along the arm.  But what's to stop it happening again?  Is there anything that can be done to avoid the problem in the first place?
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

waltzman

Re: Meh! Too hot for boxes?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »

You could remove the wax and use a (small) dollop of hot melt glue which has a much higher melting temp.

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 05:02:52 AM »

Or.........you could simply keep it cool with my "good for one beer" modification.
 :|glug

HallelujahAl

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »

you could simply keep it cool with my "good for one beer" modification.

Ah yes, I can thoroughly recommend them!
 ;D

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:06:40 AM »

Or.........you could simply keep it cool with my "good for one beer" modification.
 :|glug

That's rather neat.  I assume it's just a beer mat on a stick?  Sadly, I don't think it would fit in my instrument.  Nor, indeed, do I have any beer mats.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 04:44:31 AM »

Nope, not a mat. It's a "wooden nickel" of the sort that is given at tours of a local microbrew, redeemable for a pint at their sampling bar.

http://www.summitbrewing.com/home.php

(No affiliation...just a good local brew. And they give me melodeon parts.)

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal