Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Session, Royal Oak Knowl Hill Common (was Queen Vic. / Seven Stars)  (Read 69227 times)

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
Re: Music Session, Knowl Hill, Reading
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 02:07:01 PM »

Cannot make it this month  :'( I shall be at Nettlebed  :D Still, gives me more time to learn some new tunes!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:10:14 PM by Ellie »

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »

It,s that time again.
Next session is October 13th at 8:30, hope to see some of you there.
malcolm
aka malodeon

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »

It is a conspiracy; either you are organising this session when I am abroad for work or my management is just teeing me off by organising trips at inconvenient times. I was going to show off my Erica  :(

Still think of me on a "building a high performance team" seminar with my Austrian colleagues whilst you are enjoying yourselves.

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 10:34:28 AM »

Quote from: Lester
Still think of me on a "building a high performance team" seminar with my Austrian colleagues whilst you are enjoying yourselves.

That sounds painful...

Edit: Oops, should have added that I will be there this time :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:38:31 AM by Ellie »

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »

That time again, the November session is on the 10th. We had a cracking turn out last month with some new faces and new tunes so if you are in the area come along the more the merrier.

malcolm
aka malodeon

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 11:47:58 AM »

So pleased I managed to meet up with some of you this month.  A very nice relaxed and relaxing session!  I would recommend to anyon in the area even if you're nervous about playing "in public" - not a lot of Jo Public on a wet Monday night!

Rob

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »

Next session is on the 8th of December.
malcolm
aka malodeon

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 10:34:50 AM »

Next session will be on the 12th of January at 8:30.

We had a fine old turn out last month and looking forward to seeing some of you again this month.

We are also staring a slow tune session this month, from 7:45pm, for those wishing to gain a bit of session practice and play some of the common tunes at a slower pace and a few more times through.
I must thank George Garside for introducing me to this idea and you can see by the numbers that turn up for his sessions that a lot of others agree, you will be with us in spirit George. Anyone want to start a thread about the history of the slow session?

malcolm
aka malodeon

Rob2Hook

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »

For any newcomers who haven't yet met Malcolm - he likes to offer the chance to exploit the full beauty of each tune, unlike those of us who go at full tilt dance speed until the beer trips us...  A session at his chosen speed will be a great benefit, particularly to those making a start at session playing.

Funnily enough, whilst Malcolm might say I play too fast, I don't play slow tunes at sessions, 'cos somebody always drags the speed up out of control!

Rob.

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »

Quote from: Rob2Hook
dance speed until the beer trips us...

Dance speed is it Rob? If I tried to dance to any of those last month I'd have tripped over my own feet in very short order  :o :D

Rob2Hook

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »

"Ho, hum." says he, red-faced...

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »

We are also staring a slow tune session this month, from 7:45pm, for those wishing to gain a bit of session practice and play some of the common tunes at a slower pace and a few more times through.
I must thank George Garside for introducing me to this idea and you can see by the numbers that turn up for his sessions that a lot of others agree, you will be with us in spirit George. Anyone want to start a thread about the history of the slow session?

malcolm

Great minds clearly think alike, because Walthamstow Folk Club is starting its tune session this month, on the 13th. A 'beginners' session' from 7:30, with easy tunes played slowly and repeatedly, moving into a more free-for-all session at about 9pm. This is all at the Plough Inn on Wood Street, Walthamstow -- more information at www.walthamstowfolk.co.uk/blog . The 'more information' includes dots for eleven of the sort of easy tunes we're thinking of.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 03:18:04 PM »

Malcolm

Might I suggest that you nominate a tune or two so the target audience can have a chance to have a quick practice?

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »

Rob,
the speed of my playing is not an artistic decision just lack of ability but I must agree that Woodland Revels needs a lot of work more and speed to get the bounce into it.

Lester,
Good idea I did ask for suggestions on the session email but for the first one I think we could start with the most common Maidenhead tunes:

Dorset Four Hand Reel
Winster Gallop
Brighton Camp
Maggie in the Wood
Fanny Power

I can email out the music if anyone is in need

malcolm
aka malodeon

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »

Please don't take this as a criticism of any sort, just an interesting observation of what is a "Maidenhead tune".  Three of the listed tunes include the names of places that are some way from Berks, and one of the other two is definitely Irish, and the other one probably Irish.

I wonder if there are any manuscripts lurking undiscovered in libraries or museums that might contain some more local Maidenhead tunes?

As I said, I'm not trying to criticise, I think its great that Malcolm is trying to establish a session where one didn't exist.  I just feel incredibly lucky to live in the northeast where its hard to find a place name that's not included in a tune or song title.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 01:08:49 PM »

aka malodeon

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 08:42:05 AM »

We had a good turn out for the slow tune session with almost everone turning up for the start but this may have been just to get a good seat. As for Berkshire tunes it fell to Ellie to save the day with Princess Royal.
Alison, good luck with your session do let us know how it goes.
aka malodeon

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »

At which point I learned my new fact of the day - that Abingdon was the county town of Berkshire from around 1556 to 1869! And isn't Seven Stars a Berkshire tune anyway  ???

Was good to see so many different people there :) See you tonight Alison ;D

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 10:07:01 AM »

I don't live near enough to either Reading or Walthamstow but if, on my travels, I was visiting the area I would look on the diary to see if there was a session nearby that I could attend.  This thread is good but a guest to the site or even members may have difficulty trawling for what they are looking for.  Please help us all.

See http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,1226.0.html for details.

Hope to see you at one of these sessions some time during the year.

Martin
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »

We had a good turn out for the slow tune session with almost everone turning up for the start but this may have been just to get a good seat. As for Berkshire tunes it fell to Ellie to save the day with Princess Royal.
Alison, good luck with your session do let us know how it goes.

It went well I think. We got about 20 people in, which was a pretty good number, and lots of people started tunes or suggested tunes for other people to lead. Lots of box players and several fiddlers, a smattering of guitar, banjo, ukulele, some whistles. As planned, we ran for the first hour or so with some very slow, stately versions of easy tunes, and nearly everyone joined in with those; and then we picked up the pace somewhat. I have lots of ideas for next time! (Definitely including letting other people take charge after the first part, because I was very tired by the end last night). But by the end of the evening I thought, hey, we've got a session going in Walthamstow! In a pub with real ale! What more could I possibly want?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal