Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is this tune's name?  (Read 1977 times)

stevejay

What is this tune's name?
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:07:11 AM »

http://www.mally.com/details.asp?id=71

The sample one. It's catchy, not too hard to play and I like it. I've heard it on the web before.

HallelujahAl

Re: What is this tune's name?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:42:36 AM »

Beautiful tune by Frederic Paris 'Le Canal en Octobre'.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:33:47 AM »

HallelujahAl

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:19:22 AM »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:56:38 AM »

Nic's certainly doing it 'English style' but I'd say 'rivieredom's version is almost over-French! A scottiche should always have a 'skip' in it and V2 feels a flat as the prés next to Dom's eponymous river. IMHO the best verstion were Cutting/Wood's, and of course the original by Frédéric Paris.  Both just drove your feet.  After much angst Andy actually played Canal at the Embraud fete concert, approx 1996 - and they loved it!

Back to Nic - it's track 29 of 49! - well, that's some damn good value for a little CD  :o
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:00:16 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

stevejay

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »

Thanks. It does get a  rougher treatment in the Nic Barber recording, but the tune still shines though. Easily played on a 2 row.

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:37:49 AM »

Thanks. It does get a  rougher treatment in the Nic Barber recording, but the tune still shines though. Easily played on a 2 row.

Steve sums it up in 'the tune still shines through' (which was the point here...). In fairness to Nick - who is a very accomplished player - although it is true that some elements of his particular style eg in the placement of emphases, are evident here, the Bonny Kate CD was produced as a very simple tool/ arrangement to primarily demonstrate the tunes in his book in a basic ie no frills, way and so disseminate an, until that time, mostly unfamiliar repertoire outside a small circle of players (which he has, IMO, succeeded in doing). Most 'tutor' CDs of this type are not works of art, nor intended to be performance pieces, and were recorded using fairly basic equipment. I've just had the privilege of taking part in a house session with Nick and Mary and their extended family, at which Nick was trialling some much better recording equipment - and the recordings produced from that were very different. 

To be honest, I can't bear the Rivieredom vids - all that posturing! why do people feel they need to do that?! makes me cringe...like something out of 'The Shining'...
Better to be headless...

Diane   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal